Having headaches listening to double tops?

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Arash Ahmadi

Having headaches listening to double tops?

Post by Arash Ahmadi » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:46 am

I have recently read an article (that was written in 2003 I guess) about double top guitars in which the author and luthier claims that listening to double top guitars might give you headaches because of various reasons, including the lack of proper over tones.

I was wondering if you would agree at some extend with him. Meanwhile, does new double tops still have this issue?

Personally, I have never owned a double top but have been listening to namely Jason Vieaux recordings who plays a Wagner double top and hadn't had any problems.

Please share your thoughts and experience.
To send light into the darkness of men's heart, such is the duty of the artist. (Robert Schumann)

simonm
Amateur luthier

Re: Having headaches listening to double tops?

Post by simonm » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:13 pm

I suspect the biggest "headache" for a lot of players is that they can't afford one. :lol:

Arash Ahmadi

Post by Arash Ahmadi » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:38 pm

simonm wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:13 pm
I suspect the biggest "headache" for a lot of players is that they can't afford one. :lol:
:lol: good one!
To send light into the darkness of men's heart, such is the duty of the artist. (Robert Schumann)

tateharmann

Post by tateharmann » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:46 pm

This is, of course, a subjective matter and I can't judge anyone for not attending concerts because the instrument gives them a headache. Personally, however, I've never experienced this issue and have listened to double tops for hours from a few feet away with great pleasure :) The ones I've heard are also very rich in overtones...
"Speed is the enemy of emotion." - Emilio Pujol Vilarrubi

Arash Ahmadi

Post by Arash Ahmadi » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:51 pm

tateharmann wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:46 pm
I've never experienced this issue and have listened to double tops for hours from a few feet away with great pleasure :) The ones I've heard are also very rich in overtones...
Right, same here. it certainly depends on the luthier and the approach as well. In the article he was talking generally though. Anyhow, I suppose there must have been improvements during the last 10 years or so.

Andrew Pohlman

Post by Andrew Pohlman » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:52 pm

A metaphorical headache or physical?

I played a number of double tops made by Yulong Guo. They were loud, lacked true responsiveness, loud, deficient in the basses, loud, muted overtones, and did I mention loud. I did not get a headache, metaphorical or physical, from playing them. The price tag did give me a headache. :D

Of course, this is all anecdotal. I'll be happy to test an army of double tops if you send them to me. Tylenol at the ready. I'll publish my findings and donate any funds to the DelCamp website maintenance fund. :D Of course, I'll keep the guitars in lieu of the high risk nature of the research! :D
2013 Rodriguez FF Sabicas blanco
2015 Trevor Gore custom Neoclassical
- redwood top, Palo dorado B+Ss.

Arash Ahmadi

Post by Arash Ahmadi » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:34 pm

Andrew Pohlman wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:52 pm

Of course, this is all anecdotal. I'll be happy to test an army of double tops if you send them to me.
That's a brilliant idea! I think it's double top giveaway time and it's not even Christmas yet... Though the only problem seems to be that I don't have any double tops but I invite those of you out there who like the idea to send us some :D

My address? :contrat:

riffmeister

Post by riffmeister » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:15 am

Arash Ahmadi wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:46 am
I have recently read an article (that was written in 2003 I guess) about double top guitars in which the author and luthier claims that listening to double top guitars might give you headaches because of various reasons, including the lack of proper over tones.
I'll have some of what they're smoking, please! :D

Adrian Allan

Post by Adrian Allan » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:09 am

The idea of double-tops creating headaches is, of course, an exaggeration or a journalistic device.

As I have said many times in answers to your questions on this subject, it is almost completely dependent on the maker and the actual guitar (as guitars from the same maker, in the exact same wood and design can somehow end up being quite different).

I know you are keen to learn more, but mere words on a forum cannot suffice - you need to get out and try a range of guitars, including double-tops, and reach your own conclusions.
D'Ammassa Spruce/Spruce Double Top

Arash Ahmadi

Post by Arash Ahmadi » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:12 am

riffmeister wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:15 am
Arash Ahmadi wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:46 am
I'll have some of what they're smoking, please! :D
:lol: any idea?

Arash Ahmadi

Post by Arash Ahmadi » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:15 am

Adrian Allan wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:09 am
The idea of double-tops creating headaches is, of course, an exaggeration or a journalistic device.

As I have said many times in answers to your questions on this subject, it is almost completely dependent on the maker and the actual guitar (as guitars from the same maker, in the exact same wood and design can somehow end up being quite different).

I know you are keen to learn more, but mere words on a forum cannot suffice - you need to get out and try a range of guitars, including double-tops, and reach your own conclusions.
Quite right Adrian. But I found the article a bit off and was wondering if anyone has actually experienced it.

Adrian Allan

Post by Adrian Allan » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:19 am

No, - it is somebody taking an extreme viewpoint for the sake of argument, who is obviously opposed to the proliferation of new guitar designs. My double top sounds very traditional

Youtube
D'Ammassa Spruce/Spruce Double Top

Arash Ahmadi

Post by Arash Ahmadi » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:01 am

Adrian Allan wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:19 am
No, - it is somebody taking an extreme viewpoint for the sake of argument, who is obviously opposed to the proliferation of new guitar designs. My double top sounds very traditional

Youtube
Thanks for sharing your video, a very nice sound! :bravo:

JayGuitar

Post by JayGuitar » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:11 pm

Interesting post. I own a double top guitar and recently listened and played 3 other double top guitars; they all sounded wonderful, and no side effect after :) Probably all a matter of personal preference.

quavers

Post by quavers » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:17 pm

Double tops are an interesting innovation. Structurally they allow construction with little or no bracing due to their increased strength. Less bracing produces greater volume. I am not sure if that is always a good thing. But I must say I like them. I also have to say that hey do sound a little different and may take a little getting used to. I myself cant't wait for the introduction of more carbon fiber bodied classical guitars. Imagine how stable they would be in changing weather conditions. That said, I would also expect a different, possible unusual sound quality.

Return to “Public Space”