Stretching Exercises Given To Me By John Williams

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
Fretful

Stretching Exercises Given To Me By John Williams

Post by Fretful » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:43 pm

For several decades, it had always grieved me to have lost this manuscript ; I was pleased to rediscover it in a relative’s drawer where it had lain at the bottom of a pile of old scores, with a treasured copy of Aguado’s complete method embellished by Sainz de la Maza’s own stamp! Apologies for the dreadful notation which I did in great haste so as not to waste John Williams’ time during a fortuitous session I had with him. Only the words at the bottom of the page are in his own hand. He was most insistent that, at the sections marked with a circled star, all four fingertips should be anchored simultaneously right next to the respective frets and with the thumb in contact with the back of the neck, stating that, if they were not, the exercises would be of no use.
For some years I resisted working on the attached, finding the required stretches incredibly hard (if following his instructions regarding the simultaneous placing of all fingers and thumb) ; however, when I finally bit the bullet, I found them fantastically beneficial. Some of you may like to have a go!
LH - EXTENSION - JW - adj.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Fretful on Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

markworthi

Re: Stretching Exercises Given To Me By John Williams

Post by markworthi » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:24 pm

Thanks for sharing this. I will give it a go this evening.

Best regards,

Mark

Tim522

Post by Tim522 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:47 pm

Thank you!

Lawler

Post by Lawler » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:21 pm

What a great find! Just played through them.

These aren't beginners' exercises, folks! Make sure you're warmed up before playing them.

Fretful, it was a pleasure to read your manuscript. Must have been an intense and fast paced experience in the lesson. I'm wondering if in the 3rd measure you meant to write the last two pitches as G natural and F? And in measure 4, the last two pitches as G natural and F# - which would follow the general pattern of ascent and descent in the exercise, and the left hand fingering.

Fretful

Post by Fretful » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:25 pm

Lawler wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:21 pm
What a great find! Just played through them.

These aren't beginners' exercises, folks! Make sure you're warmed up before playing them.

Fretful, it was a pleasure to read your manuscript. Must have been an intense and fast paced experience in the lesson. I'm wondering if in the 3rd measure you meant to write the last two pitches as G natural and F? And in measure 4, the last two pitches as G natural and F# - which would follow the general pattern of ascent and descent in the exercise, and the left hand fingering.
You are absolutely right! Well spotted. I'll make these corrections and attempt to re-upload (I believe this can be done).
I had actually tried not to use the manuscript and type these with a programme called Finale Song Writer but am hopeless with it and just couldn't get it in 6/8 and it became a total muddle.
I am glad you are "enjoying" these - if that's the word! I can't say I have ever "enjoyed" them, but they really are VERY good, and I have never come across them in any publication, including Pumping Nylon and so on. You can of course take them all the way up the fingerboard, but that's very time-consuming ... on the other hand, you'll be able to play the Aranjuez then!
All best,
Fretful

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:32 am

Thanks for sharing I will give it a go this week.

Fretful

Post by Fretful » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:02 pm

Lawler wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:21 pm
I'm wondering if in the 3rd measure you meant to write the last two pitches as G natural and F? And in measure 4, the last two pitches as G natural and F# - which would follow the general pattern of ascent and descent in the exercise, and the left hand fingering.
Many thanks again, Lawler! Manuscript is now corrected. I have also added fingerings 'P' and 'ami' as there had been at the time a discussion about tremolo being impeded by LH tension and any excuse for practicing 'ami'.

doralikesmath

Post by doralikesmath » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:45 pm

Removed.
Last edited by doralikesmath on Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Raimundo 148 Cedar - "Julia"
L. T. An Guitar C150 Spruce
Takamine G128 Spruce

Fretful

Post by Fretful » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:40 pm

doralikesmath wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:45 pm
Here is a typed-up version I just made, hope that the OP doesn't mind
I was really very touched that you should have taken the trouble and time so beautifully to typeset my hasty scriblle.
You might want to consider checking the spelling of your title, unless therein lie subleties that elude me.
Secondly, these exercises were relayed to me by John Willilams ... they may have been handed down to him by Segovia who, as you know, was an intransigent stickler for punishing practice! ... I have an amusing anecdote in this respect : during the fortuitous lesson I was given by JW, he introduced me to the ESERCIZI ESSENZIALI per la mano sinistra by Ablóniz. An hour or so later, his parting words were "Don't forget, Ablóniz, Ablóniz, Ablóniz!!! A couple of years ago, I reminded him of those words which had so influenced my life over several decades ; his response was Oh, Ablóniz, no, no, that's very old fashioned! Be that as it may, there is nothing old-fashioned about the exercises you have so kindly typed; and they are not in the Ablóniz books. I hope you will do them yourself, now that you have at your disposal such a pristine copy to work from!

doralikesmath

Post by doralikesmath » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:54 pm

Oops, can't believe I made that spelling error. Since the credit part is complicated, and I'm not even sure if it's in public domain, I think I will just remove the typed file here. I can send OP the Musescore file that he can edit and post it here instead if he wants to.
Takamine G128 Spruce

Fretful

Post by Fretful » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:53 am

doralikesmath wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:54 pm
I can send OP the Musescore file that he can edit and post it here instead if he wants to.
Yes, please send me the file as you suggest, I could never type-set is as well as you did. Many thanks.

Dave Stott

Post by Dave Stott » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:31 am

Looking forward to seeing the typed version reposted.
2015 Cordoba GK Pro Negra
2015 Cordoba Solista Cedar
2003 H-12 Froggy Bottom
1989 Takamine E-30 Classical

Fretful

Post by Fretful » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:08 pm

doralikesmath wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:54 pm
I can send OP the Musescore file that he can edit and post it here instead if he wants to.
Sadly, my computer cannot open this file despite having downloaded requested software. All I get on the screen is this :
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

doralikesmath

Post by doralikesmath » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:34 pm

You can download the file to your computer and then open it locally. It's fairly straightforward to edit the credit part and export the file as either .pdf or .png file.
Takamine G128 Spruce

Fretful

Post by Fretful » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:24 pm

doralikesmath wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:34 pm
You can download the file to your computer and then open it locally. It's fairly straightforward to edit the credit part and export the file as either .pdf or .png file.
Just cannot open that file ; tried with PC, Apple, Laptop.
Would you be able to send me a JPEG of it ? I would then add the titles with Photoshop and repost.
Many thanks.

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”