Tears In Heaven Hirokazu Sato

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
soltirefa

Tears In Heaven Hirokazu Sato

Post by soltirefa » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:57 am

I was inspired to learn this after hearing Kevin Loh's YouTube version. It's really darn nice, and he has really become an fantastic guitarist. Such purity.

I have also come to realize that Kevin has an incredible reach. I may be wrong, but I think it's especially his little finger (both length and flexibility) that afford him some fingerings that are unbelievable. For example, in the intro to Tears In Heaven is one part where the bass line goes C#, B, A, G#. Kevin is able to keep the true note values by fretting C# on the 4th string with 4 while playing A on the 3rd with 3. Then when the bass changes to B (played with 2) he is able to keep 3 on A and pivot 4 to D# on the 2nd string, then changing the A on 3 to G# the whole while holding down the B bass and D# melody note. I checked out Kaori Muraji's video of this piece (I believe she made it famous) and even she doesn't do it this way. She fingers it differently and lets go of the B bass in order to fret the G# on the 3rd string coming from the A. I am going to do it her way, because there ain't no way on this green earth that I can do it Kevin Loh's way. There are other examples of his reach/flexibility as well.

I will also say, I actually think Kevin plays this piece more musically and emotionally than Kaori, but she is an excellent guitarist, don't get me wrong. But listening to the two versions, one after the other, I must come to this conclusion.

So Kevin, if you're reading this, I'm a fan and admire your playing and your progress. Like many of us, I have been watching your videos since you were really young and dang, dude, you have really gotten good!

Rognvald

Re: Tears In Heaven Hirokazu Sato

Post by Rognvald » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:22 am

Solti,
I am not a fan of " Tears in Heaven" but Loh plays beautifully. I listened to his Youtube performances of Bach, Carcassi and his rendition of "Cavatina" really showcased his musical ability. He is confident, lyrical, expressive with a very clear sound and certainly musically sophisticated and well beyond his years. He's certainly someone to watch. Playing again . . . Rognvald
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra

Dofpic

Post by Dofpic » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:34 pm

Kevin is also an amazing young man having spent two weeks with him over the past 4 years. A bright future I predict.
2011Fritz Ober(maple), 2015 Eric Sahlin, 2006 Greg Byers(fan)2009 Eric Monrad(maple)
2012 Martin Blackwell(for sale), 2003 Tacchi Simplcio satinwood 2017 E. Bottelli 52 Hauser, 2014 Joshua DeJonge Cedar( for sale) 2002 Jeff Elliott spruce.

soltirefa

Post by soltirefa » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:25 pm

Solti,
Sometimes they call me "Salty Solti."

soltirefa

Post by soltirefa » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:26 pm

fwiw -

There is a section of the score in Kaori Muraji's Collection book that she (and others) skip. Then she merges back into the written score by playing a variation of the A section, but that part is not written in the score. That seamlessly merges into the middle of that last section.

I think the omission of that section and the reintroduction of the main melody (part not written) make sense. I heard one guitarist on YT play the Kaori omitted section and it doesn't sound like it belongs in the arrangement. It's not too hard to figure out the un-written part watching Kaori et al.

DaveLloyd

Post by DaveLloyd » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:37 am

I've been a fan of Kevin's for some time. Like @rognvald I wouldn't normally be bowled over by Tears in Heaven, but Kevin's rendition is beautiful (I prefer it to Kaori Muraji's).

As well as the standard CG repertoire pieces on his channel, I also love the way he plays some of the old standards, pop ballads, film music etc. e.g. Chet Atkins' arrangement of La Vie en Rose, Bill Pilburn's arrangement of Georgia on My Mind, John Knowles' arrangement of Starry Night (I took the trouble of ordering that one from John Knowle's website after hearing Kevin play it. — David Jaggs has a nice version too), Schindler's List, Moon River . . . . . .

At just 19, he already has a string of achievements behind him, including 1st prize in the 2nd age group (ages 14 to 16) of the (Andres Segovia) 8th International Competition for Young Guitarists in 2014. I think the world will be his oyster in the future.

StevSmar

Post by StevSmar » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:30 pm

That was enjoyable, thanks for sharing.
Regards,

Steven from Winnipeg

ddray

Post by ddray » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:53 am

Rognvald wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:22 am
Solti,
I am not a fan of " Tears in Heaven" but Loh plays beautifully. I listened to his Youtube performances of Bach, Carcassi and his rendition of "Cavatina" really showcased his musical ability. He is confident, lyrical, expressive with a very clear sound and certainly musically sophisticated and well beyond his years. He's certainly someone to watch. Playing again . . . Rognvald
I agree. I've made stupidly sour remarks about the number of musicians active these days, but actually it should be a cause of rejoicing that young people are keeping "serious" performance alive. I've watched many of Kevin Loh's videos over the past couple of years and he's a brilliant young musician with a bright future.

Texasdave

Post by Texasdave » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:32 pm

Dofpic wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:34 pm
Kevin is also an amazing young man having spent two weeks with him over the past 4 years. A bright future I predict.
He is a wonderful player. I also might suggest Yenne Lee also !!!

Dave

Tom

Post by Tom » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:26 pm

Honestly after watching several players on this piece, I still think Muraji has the best tonal color and phrasing in her playing compare to Kevin and others.

Return to “Public Space”