Ernest Shand - The 1st British Guitar Hero - Radio

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
cefyn

Ernest Shand - The 1st British Guitar Hero - Radio

Post by cefyn » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:07 am

Hi All,

As a result of my Teacher's obsession with all things 'Shand' He's recorded a radio programme about the life and times of the great man.
I've heard a 'sneek peek' and it's excellent. Plenty of Shand's music included.

He's also recorded a CD of Shand's gorgeous music, which is available from Jon himself - you can contact him by telephone (I know!) via his webwite: http://jonathanrichardsguitar.co.uk/

The radio programme: 'Ernest Shand - The First British Guitar Hero' is on 'Resonance FM' (Digital or online) Tuesday December 12th at 5pm (GMT)
https://resonancefm.com/ 104.4 MHz

I'll bump this post nearer the time. :casque:

Cef.
1983 Robert Cross Spruce & IRW

simonm

Re: Ernest Shand - The 1st British Guitar Hero - Radio

Post by simonm » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:38 pm

Thanks for that. Never heard of him before. I was thinking of Jimmy Shand. :-) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfF9ELhPW1Q

cefyn

Post by cefyn » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:26 pm

simonm wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:38 pm
Thanks for that. Never heard of him before. I was thinking of Jimmy Shand. :-) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfF9ELhPW1Q
You are in for a treat, my friend - Ernest Shand wrote some of the most beautiful guitar music with gorgeous harmony. Sadly Shand was brilliant at a time when the guitar was really out of fashion in Britain - he had to fall back on his 'day job' of being an actor and Music Hall (Vaudeville)comedian.

Let me know if you'd like a copy of Jon's CD - I'll make it easier for you to get hold of one! Listen to the programme first - see if you like him.

Cef.

P.S. Love the youtube clip :D

Martin

Post by Martin » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:08 pm

Did you know Ernest Shand recorded......

If all else fails, try reading the instructions...

simonm

Post by simonm » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:40 pm

Interesting. Apart from my Jimmy Shand detour I have been listening to various pieces by Ernst Shand. The internet info about him is pretty limited - the sources I found all seem to parrot the same info if not completely verbatim, almost. What I find missing in particular is a complete listing of his works, or at least a more extensive one than found on wikipedia. As far as I can see all of this music would now be public domain although there are (wikipedia) a couple of newish compilations.

I really liked some of the pieces I listened to and came across a few players I hadn't heard of. Thanks for posting this info.

Martin

Post by Martin » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:35 pm

Hmm, fish ain't bitin'...

I don't know how many people know this, but Ernest Shand was a recording artist as well as music-hall performer, recording a number of his comic songs between 1905 and 1913. 20 songs have survived and are available on CD .
shand cd.jpg
I hope its OK to post that as an image. There are "Buy" buttons all over that website so a direct link will be blocked. There's even a sound sample there.

What I've always wondered is, since Shand was obviously familiar and comfortable with the recording technology of his day, was he ever persuaded to take his guitar into the studio and record his own compositions? Are there a collection of wax cylinders in the basement of a library or museum somewhere that predate the recordings of Barrios and Llobet? What a marvellous find that would be!

We can but hope...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If all else fails, try reading the instructions...

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:18 pm

For anyone interested in exploring some of Shand's music there's a collection of 23 of his pieces, published by Mel Bay in 2000 and edited by Stanley Yates. I seem to remember that, years ago, the old BMG magazine published a few of his works and I see that the Spring 2011 edition of the "new" BMG magazine has one of his pieces.
Martin wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:35 pm
What I've always wondered is, since Shand was obviously familiar and comfortable with the recording technology of his day, was he ever persuaded to take his guitar into the studio and record his own compositions? Are there a collection of wax cylinders in the basement of a library or museum somewhere that predate the recordings of Barrios and Llobet? What a marvellous find that would be!

We can but hope...
That's an interestng thought but I think fairly unlikely. According to Yates, although Shand published his last volume of guitar music as late as 1910 he'd actually given up performing on the guitar by 1901. I don't think there's evidence of very much recording of the guitar before this. Agustin Barrios wasn't the first guitarist to make recordings (he began in 1909) but certainly the first to do it on any scale.
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Paul Fischer (1995) and Lester Backshall (2008)
Yamaha SLG 130NW silent classical guitar (2014), Ramirez Guitarra del Tiempo (2017)

tateharmann

Post by tateharmann » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:31 pm

I really enjoy his music, from what I understand - he was a flesh player (no nails) and was a student of Catharina Josepha Pratten. His method for guitar (opus 100) is available here: http://digital-library.csun.edu/cdm/ref ... ores/id/98

There are some real gems in there!
"Speed is the enemy of emotion." - Emilio Pujol Vilarrubi

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:10 pm

pogmoor wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:18 pm
For anyone interested in exploring some of Shand's music there's a collection of 23 of his pieces, published by Mel Bay in 2000 and edited by Stanley Yates.
It seems to be well out of print. I have both it and the Japanese edition.

I think its quite clear he never recorded his guitar - it would have turned up by now among his vocal recordings.
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

cefyn

Post by cefyn » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:18 pm

Ernest Shand's story is tragic - he met with a terrible end. One of his comedy songs he recorded is "Nobody's Listening, nobody Cares" quite autobiographical really, considering his magnificent guitar playing and composing talent went largely unnoticed.

Listen to the Radio broadcast, all will be revealed.

Cef.

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:57 pm

cefyn wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:18 pm
Ernest Shand's story is tragic - he met with a terrible end.
According to Yates he was beaten up in his dressing room by an unknown assailant and then began receiving abusive letters. Was his death the consequence of the beating? Apparently he went on composing after the end of his stage career, but these works are lost!
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Paul Fischer (1995) and Lester Backshall (2008)
Yamaha SLG 130NW silent classical guitar (2014), Ramirez Guitarra del Tiempo (2017)

cefyn

Post by cefyn » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:53 pm

pogmoor wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:57 pm
cefyn wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:18 pm
Ernest Shand's story is tragic - he met with a terrible end.
According to Yates he was beaten up in his dressing room by an unknown assailant and then began receiving abusive letters. Was his death the consequence of the beating? Apparently he went on composing after the end of his stage career, but these works are lost!
Jon tells the whole story in the radio programme - he was beaten very badly by a Russian Sailor, who objected to Shand singing how great Britain is. He went to his dressing room and accused Shand of insulting Mother Russia. Shand never recovered from this horrific beating, and it eventually killed him. As I say - Jon tells the whole story, much better than me!

Cef

cefyn

Post by cefyn » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:14 pm

An interesting fact: It seems that to this day, apathy for Shand's music continues - This year 2017, saw Hull, in England as the European City of Culture. As Ernest Shand is just about the only musician to be born and come from Hull, my teacher, Jon, contacted Hull's city of culture committee saying that he'd provide a concert consisting wholly of Shand's compositions - they said 'No thanks' never heard of him (Shand). Jon then recorded the programme and gave it to his contact at the BBC, thinking it would make a good programme for BBC Radio 4, or maybe even BBC radio 3 - Both said 'No thanks' never heard of him. So Jon tried commercial radio Humberside (Hull) - guess what they said? And so it goes on for this beautiful guitar music. As Shand himself sang - "Nobody's listening, nobody cares"

Cef.

cefyn

Post by cefyn » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:05 pm

Just in case anyone missed the broadcast, it's available on Resonancefm.com on the replay feature:

https://www.mixcloud.com/Resonance/micr ... itar-hero/

It's worth a listen folks!

Cef.

sxedio

Post by sxedio » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:41 pm

Listening now. Not fair to say the guitar went extinct outside Spain in the second half of the 19th century. It tagged along the mandolin fashion of 1878-1914, and there are solo pieces, chamber music and arrangements from the time, Mozzani, Alfred Cottin, William Foden, not to mention all the American parlour literature etc. People said the same for the second half of the 18th century and then Sparks wrote the 3rd part of the 'Guitar and its music' book showing how massively popular the guitar actually was and how many scores are left from that time not only from Spain and Italy but also from France.
(Gr) (En) (very little Fr)

Return to “Public Space”