Did Jimi Hendrix ever comment on Julian Bream or Andres Segovia?

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
hoppy

Re: Did Jimi Hendrix ever comment on Julian Bream or Andres Segovia?

Post by hoppy » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:51 pm

But hold on, John. Didn't Sky play safe rock music sanctioned by classical music-loving parents who were scared their kids might run amok while listening to the Sex Pistols or Jimi Hendrix? "God, I hope it didn't stop kids listening to Jimi Hendrix," he laughs. "That would be an awful thing to have on my conscience.

"You could take the **** out of Sky," he adds, conspiratorially, "and in the 1980s there was a BBC Radio 4 comedy show called Son of Cliché, which did just that very well. I still have a tape of it. Would you like to hear it?" He disappears upstairs, soon returning with a battered-looking cassette.

The Son of Cliché sketch has talk of Sky doing Baroque takes on songs by KC & the Sunshine Band, and an actor playing Williams concedes that it was "tremendously difficult" to devise a genre that would alienate rock and classical fans.
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-enter ... 34305.html

razz

Post by razz » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:02 am

I've not heard of Jimi Hendrix mentioning Segovia. I remember B. B. King saying something like "I'm no Segovia" in response to an interviewer's comment on his (B.B.'s) guitar playing skills.

hesson11

Post by hesson11 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:37 am

zupfgeiger wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:42 pm
lagartija wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:57 pm
zupfgeiger wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:15 pm
Did Jethro Tull (Ian Anderson or whoever played the fiddle) ever comment on Jascha Heifetz?
I believe Ian Anderson played flute . He played Bach’s Boree on one of the Jethro Tull albums.
Absolutely right. But on Thick as a brick he also played the fiddle. :D
He is also a pretty good guitarist. Martin made an Ian Anderson signature model a few years ago.
-Bob

AndreiKrylov

Post by AndreiKrylov » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:39 pm

withdrawn
Last edited by AndreiKrylov on Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks!

Torrescaster

Post by Torrescaster » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:04 am

I know of no comment on Segovia by Hendrix.

But interestingly, noted flamenco guitarist Paco Pena did once play a feature with Hendrix on the bill:

https://www.limelightmagazine.com.au/fe ... rious-man/

perhaps the greatest highlight of Peña’s early career was sharing the stage with rock guitar icon, Jimi Hendrix. Both Peña and Hendrix were performing at the Guitar-In Festival at London’s Royal Festival Hall, just a few years before the legendary rock guitarist died of a drug overdose in 1970. For Peña, it was a great vindication, not for himself but for the music he had dedicated his life to. “The Festival Hall can seat around 3,500 people, and it was chockablock, absolutely sold out. I was shellshocked, as Flamenco had never had a platform like that, not to my knowledge,” he shares. “Of course, I knew who Hendrix was. He was already hugely famous, but when I met him, I wasn’t starstruck. He was a very impressive person, very committed to his performance and exploring new ways of playing. He wasn’t wild or a typical rock star – he was a very serious man.”

Return to “Public Space”