Best Rechargeable String Winder?

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Laudiesdad69

Best Rechargeable String Winder?

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:58 pm

I currently have a battery operated peg winder, but am interested in a rechargeable one. Do they commonly have a removable rechargeable battery, or if they have a non-removeable one, how long before the battery dies and you have to replace the whole Thing? What different makers make the best one?

Eberhard Mueller

Re: Best Rechargeable String Winder?

Post by Eberhard Mueller » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:56 am

You might have more options, in price, better and more powerful rechargeable batteries, if you buy a cordless screwdriver set and use a peg winder bit. Their batteries are usually not removable, unless you go to the heavier (not recommended) cordless drills. On the other hand, your battery operated peg winder is likely to be using standard battery sizes, for which rechargeable versions are readily available.
Neil Douglas 2001 (German Spruce / German Maple)
Neil Douglas 1992 (Engelmann Spruce / Brazilian Rosewood)
La Patrie Motif
Cordoba Mini M

Marshall Dixon

Post by Marshall Dixon » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:19 am

Laudiesdad69 wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:58 pm
I currently have a battery operated peg winder, but am interested in a rechargeable one. Do they commonly have a removable rechargeable battery, or if they have a non-removeable one, how long before the battery dies and you have to replace the whole Thing? What different makers make the best one?

This may be sonething to consider. I've been using this battery operated screwdriver that works with AA batteries. I already had a charger as I use them for other things that require that size battery. For the last 16 years I've been using the same bunch of cheaper NiCads for winding strings. They only work to string one guitar and don't hold a charge long after that. It's less than $10 first place I checked on line. The batteries wil probably cost more than the driver.

The Stew Mac sells the attachment for your tuners. Less than $5.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

eyedoc

Post by eyedoc » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:24 am

Earnie Ball
I have the one above and an Earnie Ball
By far, the Earnie Ball is better
Ron

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:36 am

Thanks Ron, Eberhard, and Marshall. The one that I have is Ernie Ball. I don't know why I didn't think to just get some rechargeable batteries. The winder cost me $12.00. Of course the batteries and a charger will undoubtedly be more.

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Post by Ramon Amira » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:41 pm

Don't get the Ernie Ball rechargeable. I bought one for $40 and in about a year it stopped working. I went to put a new battery in, and it turns out you can't replace the battery. So it's a $40 disposable winder.

I called them and they told me something like " Well, you got good use out of it." LOL. So I am back to using the same manual peg winder that I have now been using for forty years.

Ramon
Classical and Flamenco guitar lessons via Skype worldwide - Classical and Flamenco guitars from Spain

SteveL123

Post by SteveL123 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:52 pm

I made my own with a $2 hand plastic winder from Guitar Center with a rechargeable elec screwdriver, a screwdriver tip , piece of wood and epoxy. Works great. Unlike a drill, elec screwdriver runs at a much slower speed so less danger of over winding/ breaking the string.

This elec screwdriver is at least 6 years old with original batteries but it holds a charge well and last a long time. It must have some decent rechargeable batteries in it, definitely not Ni-Cad. It was given to me years ago and when I dug it up, it probably sat unused for at least 2 years yet still had a charge left. Just amazing!

Edit: out of curiosity about the amazing performance of this elec screwdriver, I looked at the label and it is a Black and Decker Li3000 type 2 with Lithium ion batteries! It's a discontinued model but they have a model LI2000 https://www.target.com/p/black-decker-l ... v_xasd0002 with Lithium batteries.

If you buy any rechargeable battery operated tools, do not buy Ni Cad or NiMH, insist on Li
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by SteveL123 on Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SteveL123

Post by SteveL123 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:55 pm

Ramon Amira wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:41 pm
Don't get the Ernie Ball rechargeable. I bought one for $40 and in about a year it stopped working. I went to put a new battery in, and it turns out you can't replace the battery. So it's a $40 disposable winder.

I called them and they told me something like " Well, you got good use out of it." LOL. So I am back to using the same manual peg winder that I have now been using for forty years.

Ramon
All batteries can be replaced. You may have to do some soldering.

Altophile

Post by Altophile » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:11 pm

I can't imagine having to change strings so often that this would ever be needed! I have a hand winder and that has sufficed for me.

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:46 pm

Ramon Amira wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:41 pm

Ramon
That is what I was afraid of. Spending more than I would have for batteries in a year and having to replace it so soon. I too have the old fashioned manual winder and have recently switched to the battery operated winder due to repetitive stress on my left wrist. My friend had the same model small drill winder that I purchased, and when I was restringing her guitar, it was much easier and a lot faster, and my wrist didn’t hurt.

I don’t think that having to replace the winder after a year makes good sense. I thank all of you for your observations. I now know that buying a rechargeable winder would be money down the toilet.

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:56 pm

Altophile wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:11 pm
I can't imagine having to change strings so often that this would ever be needed! I have a hand winder and that has sufficed for me.
I buy, sell, and trade many guitars throughout the year, and they all get new strings. RSI of the left wrist is what led me to get a a powered winder. I also change strings frequently, sometimes just to try new strings. Im a String Aquisition Club member😁

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:04 pm

SteveL123 wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:52 pm
I made my own with a $2 hand plastic winder from Guitar Center with a rechargeable elec screwdriver, a screwdriver tip , piece of wood and epoxy. Works great. Unlike a drill, elec screwdriver runs at a much slower speed so less danger of over winding/ breaking the string.

This elec screwdriver is at least 6 years old with original batteries but it holds a charge well and last a long time. It must have some decent rechargeable batteries in it, definitely not Ni-Cad. It was given to me years ago and when I dug it up, it probably sat unused for at least 2 years yet still had a charge left. Just amazing!

Edit: out of curiosity about the amazing performance of this elec screwdriver, I looked at the label and it is a Black and Decker Li3000 type 2 with Lithium ion batteries! It's a discontinued model but they have a model LI2000 https://www.target.com/p/black-decker-l ... v_xasd0002 with Lithium batteries.

If you buy any rechargeable battery operated tools, do not buy Ni Cad or NiMH, insist on Li
I like your solution. By the way, I haven’t seen any rechargeable Li batteries for sale. I think that there are only one or two companies that make them. NiMH seems to be what all the batteries for sale on Fleabay and Big River are in AA size.

Eberhard Mueller

Post by Eberhard Mueller » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:48 pm

Laudiesdad69 wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:04 pm

I like your solution. By the way, I haven’t seen any rechargeable Li batteries for sale. I think that there are only one or two companies that make them. NiMH seems to be what all the batteries for sale on Fleabay and Big River are in AA size.
They are starting to become available, but the cost plus charger seems high. I still think you are better off to get an electric screwdriver. But search for a high quality one, powered by Lithium Ion and that won't suffer failure in a year. I have had mine for about two years and rarely need to charge it, since it is rated for about 3 hours run time. The brand is Mastercraft, a brand which might not be available to you. It was listed for $50 CA, and I purchased it on sale for half that price. I think a set of Lithium batteries and charger, when available, would cost you more. This thing is heavy duty and conveniently has a light for changing strings in the dark! :D
Neil Douglas 2001 (German Spruce / German Maple)
Neil Douglas 1992 (Engelmann Spruce / Brazilian Rosewood)
La Patrie Motif
Cordoba Mini M

simonm

Post by simonm » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:58 pm

Nothing to add about brands, models and the like.

I am tempted to get my self a battery powered string winder too.

In our household we prefer to run anything small and battery powered on rechargeable AA or AAA sized batteries but we are losing the battle. Our main reasons are so as not to be running to buy batteries all the time and even more importantly so that we are not binning lots of batteries. These days there are plenty of place that collect them so that they don't end up in landfill. The trend in all sorts of devices (computers, smart phones, cameras) to have non-replaceable, non-standard batteries is lamentable. Power tools are big offenders regarding standardization.

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:15 pm

I am going to see how long the Duracell AA batteries are going to last me in my Ernie Ball powered winder. After that I will get some rechargeable ones. The string winder that I have looks like a tiny little drill and runs on 4 AA batteries.

I too am worried about the stuff that goes into the landfill. I separate my trash and recycle everything that I can, but there isn’t any special collection where I live for collecting old batteries. Just paper, plastics, and glass.

Return to “Public Space”