Possibility of practicing something harder than your current ability

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
jackhuy

Possibility of practicing something harder than your current ability

Post by jackhuy » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:58 am

This might seem like a dull question, but normally, do amateur guitarist successfully practiced a piece which is harder than their current abilities? Example such as a student at my old teacher which successfully practiced canon in d while he was learning the Carulli method, and it took him 3 months to did it.

Rasputin

Re: Possibility of practicing something harder than your current ability

Post by Rasputin » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:35 pm

If he was able to play the harder piece well after 3 months then it wasn't that much above his ability to begin with.

I think you can work on things that are quite a bit above your current level as long as you also spend time trying to play easier things well.

bear

Post by bear » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:09 pm

There are pieces that I work on like a sculptor does on a statue. I'll study it a bit (I can't really call it playing). I'll put it aside for an undefined time, work at it again, put it aside, etc.. Sometimes, it might take a couple of weeks, months or......I'll let you know. With me , it's always the fingering. The hands are old and damaged and don't always do what I ask.
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Giustina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:24 pm

Practising pieces that are above your ability is how you improve.
And, to paraphrase rasputin, play pieces below your ability better than you've ever played them before.
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

zupfgeiger

Post by zupfgeiger » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:22 pm

Andrew Fryer wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:24 pm
And, to paraphrase rasputin, play pieces below your ability better than you've ever played them before.
My advice too. I know guitarists who do not play one single piece of their repertoire technically perfect, not even Lagrima. I'd say those guys play too much beyond their level.
The secret of getting ahead is getting started (Mark Twain)

Tobias Braun, Santos copy, spruce/yew, 2017
Andrea Tacchi, Enrique Garcia model, Spruce/BRAZ, 2016
Giovanni Tacchi, Daniel Friederich copy, cedar/EIR, 2017

isaac_suit6

Post by isaac_suit6 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:41 am

To be poetic about this, take the quote from Robert Browning’s “The Faultless Painter” (aka “Andrea del Sarto”) poem

“Ah, but a man’s reach should exceed his grasp, or what’s a heaven for?

It's good to attempt those pieces beyond your present level.
Cheers,
isaac_suit6

randalljazz

Post by randalljazz » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:52 am

the bane of classical guitar players, especially, but by no means only, the "self-taught".
"play simple pieces well." ~ chopin
"Beauty is nothing but the beginning of terror, which we still are just able to endure, and we are are so awed because it serenely disdains to annihilate us." -- Ranier Maria Rilke

Adrian Allan

Post by Adrian Allan » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:16 am

I think that we all do this to some extent, maybe John Williams excepted

Even with professionals, there may be the odd piece on their recital list that they know is pushing themselves right to their limits, and on a good night they will pull it off, and on a less good night it might be a bit shaky.
D'Ammassa Spruce/Spruce Double Top

Smudger5150

Post by Smudger5150 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:46 am

zupfgeiger wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:22 pm
Andrew Fryer wrote:
My advice too. I know guitarists who do not play one single piece of their repertoire technically perfect, not even Lagrima. I'd say those guys play too much beyond their level.
Yes. With this in mind, I've being trying to revisit the pieces I used to play and I'm trying to perfect them as much as I can because, even there's not enough time in the day to cover them all, I kind of feel like a fraud not being able to play them in one go (without the usual hiccups and pauses etc).
"Music washes away the dust of every day life." Art Blakey

"If I don’t practice for a day, I know it. If I don’t practice for two days, the critics know it. And if I don’t practice for three days, the public knows it." Louis Armstrong

zupfgeiger

Post by zupfgeiger » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:48 pm

Smudger5150 wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:46 am
zupfgeiger wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:22 pm
Andrew Fryer wrote:
Yes. With this in mind, I've being trying to revisit the pieces I used to play and I'm trying to perfect them as much as I can because, even there's not enough time in the day to cover them all, I kind of feel like a fraud not being able to play them in one go (without the usual hiccups and pauses etc).
Yes, same with me. So many pieces, so little time...But when coming back to older pieces of my repertoire which I did not play for a while or even gave up because their level of difficulty frustrated me, I regularly observe that after a warm up period I can play them better than before. Conclusion: I acutually do improve my playing. :D
The secret of getting ahead is getting started (Mark Twain)

Tobias Braun, Santos copy, spruce/yew, 2017
Andrea Tacchi, Enrique Garcia model, Spruce/BRAZ, 2016
Giovanni Tacchi, Daniel Friederich copy, cedar/EIR, 2017

Return to “Public Space”