Minimal music for guitar

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
sxedio

Re: Minimal music for guitar

Post by sxedio » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:10 pm

pankos wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:21 pm

sxedio wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:01 am
Wim Mertens, Sin Embargo.
I listened to, and it's not technically the best playing :roll: But yes, pieces are minimal.
Well, I have the score and the first piece, the line, explicitly states: Tempo non giusto. You should be aware that incorporating the players' faults is often a part of this music (not american minimalism strictly but experimental music influenced by Cage in general). Howard Skempton did this with the accordion I think, he always gave himself time to 'breathe' with the bellows. The Portsmouth Sinfonia is another example.
(Gr) (En) (very little Fr)

Erik Zurcher

Post by Erik Zurcher » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:16 pm

Heitor Villa-Lobos' Etude No.5 sounds very minimalistic to me.
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

ElRay

Post by ElRay » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:44 am

pankos wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:01 am
...There is of course Reich's Electric Counterpoint, ...
Speaking of Reich, I've been tempted to work-up a guitar duet of "Clapping Music". It could be a bit less minimalistic, if the interval was changed after each cycle. Another idea is to have the two guitars just slightly "out of tune" to each other (like gamelan bells), to give a kind of "shimmer" to what would otherwise just be unison playing.

There's also another Reich piece "Music for Pieces of Wood, for 5 pairs of tuned claves". One clave just plays a fixed "metronome beat", so that could be any kind of a click track, then the other four lines could be played on any four strings. Would be technically minimalistic, but a real work-out for chord playing (could also be a duet with each playing double-stops -- or even a quartet). You could also add a bit of tonal variation by fretting a different chord for the different repetitions.

isaac_suit6

Post by isaac_suit6 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:27 am

Massimo Menotti has transcribed music by Philip Glass and Steve Reich for CG.
There’s an album: Minimalist Guitar Music: Works by Philip Glass and Steve Reich

Glass: Music in Similar Motion and Two Pages
Reich: Piano Phase
Cheers,
isaac_suit6

razz

Post by razz » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:33 pm

I have heard a few "minimal" pieces for guitar, but none that I like much. Perhaps Phillip Glass (I like his piano pieces) will put together a piece for the guitar some day.

Carey

Post by Carey » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:50 pm

I think Cervetti's 'The Bottom of the Iceberg' is an excellent minimalist piece written for the guitar.

Wuuthrad

Post by Wuuthrad » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:58 am

I'm not sure if these are in the right category, but I must recommend the following works:

Olli Mustonen's "Jehkin Iivana Sonata"

and

Einojuhani Rautavaara's "Serenades of the Unicorn" and "Monologues of the Unicorn"

Return to “Public Space”