What is your favorite set of string tension?

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Arash Ahmadi

Re: What is your favorite set of string tension?

Post by Arash Ahmadi » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:19 am

JRomano wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:52 am
I am very fond of the Augustine black label "low" tension strings. They are easy to play, but have a wonderful, warm and clear tone. The first time I played them, I didn't know what they were, or the tension, and just thought they were terrific. I didn't think you could get such nice tone from low tension strings, but these are really great.
Seems like I should give them a try :)
To send light into the darkness of men's heart, such is the duty of the artist. (Robert Schumann)
2012 Jeroen Hilhorst

JRomano

Post by JRomano » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:55 pm

You should indeed, I was pleasantly surprised when I did.

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:07 pm

joachim33 wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:13 am
I understand high tension strings do not oscillate as wide and are less likely to hit the frets (buzz) when played loudly.
That's what I understand too, although I'm mainly going on steel here - the nut action on my mandolin is so low, it's unbelievable, yet never any fret buzz.

High tension strings basically have more mass than low tension ones, so they should have more momentum and resonate longer.

I have always used Augustine Regal Blues, but I'm open to checking out the lower tension basses some time, not least because I use them on other instruments with other scale lengths, and lower tension basses should break less often.
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

Jacek A. Rochacki

Post by Jacek A. Rochacki » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:39 pm

Augustine Black/Imperial.
Antonio Picado, model 60, 2015, Cedar/IRW. Scale 640 mm.

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:11 pm

In other threads Augustines feature rarely, so I'm surprised so many are referring to them in this thread.
The nomenclature is often very badly confused by people, so is it worth summarising and clarifying here?

<strike>Black, Red and Blue refer to the trebles in ascending order of tension.
Classic, Imperial and Regal refer to the basses in ascending order of tension.
So there are 9 combinations, and the basses are available individually, which is good if you use them for things like baritone ukes and so on.</strike>
Last edited by Andrew Fryer on Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.

CathyCate

Post by CathyCate » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:20 pm

wlh-0028VS wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:11 pm
Interesting discussion on strings and the response of the guitar from different string tensions. Now I understand a little bit as to why one has to try many different string arrangements to achieve an ideal response from a guitar...

So I guess what strings are used by others does not guarantee satisfaction to me and my unique set of circumstances. At best what someone else uses for strings would be a good bass line to start with.
So true! This is a highly subjective matter. The guitar, the individual's technique (or lack thereof), the weather...etc. The variables are endless but crucial. I read these threads in search of the magic bullet, but I would do just as well trying to enjoy the look and feel of another member's house slippers.

Jacek A. Rochacki

Post by Jacek A. Rochacki » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:21 pm

So sorry, Andrew, I am afraid that it is as below:
Augustine makes it harder then necessary by not providing very clear information. You need to think of the tensions of the bass and treble strings separately then match them into sets.

The tension of the bass strings is set by the colour - black is low, red is medium and blue is high.

The tension of the treble strings is set by the name. Lowest to highest is Classic, Imperial and Regal. The strings also get progressively brighter from Classic through to Regal.

So if you want medium basses with low tension treble you'd choose Red Classic. Another example would be high tension basses with medium trebles would be Blue Imperial.

The one exception is the Gold basses - this is a different type of string (gold plated nylon whatever that means) vs the other bass strings which are all copper wound basses.

a guide to Augustine strings:

With Augustine strings the colour defines the bass strings:
- Black = low tension basses
- Red = med tension basses
- Blue = high tension basses.

The above basses are paired with one of the following treble string sets:
- Classic = low/med tension
- Imperial = med/high tension
- Regal = high tension.

Thus if you buy 'Regal Blues', you will get high tension trebles with high tension basses.
If you buy 'Classic Reds', you will get low/med tension trebles with medium tension basses.

First, choose you bass tension - low, medium or high (black, red, blue).
Then choose your treble tension - medium, high, extra high (Classic, Imperial, Regal).
Put those two words together and you had your chosen set.

And here we have a chart with data on Augustine tension
Augustine_tension.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:36 pm

Damn, other way round. Maybe I initially misconstrued because they colour-code the ends of the treble strings, then didn't reconstrue from the colour of the bass packaging!

dta721

Post by dta721 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:53 pm

+1
I was about to upload the same chart but was pre-empted by your post!

I use Augustine Imperial Blue on my Sakurai No 5 (660mm scale length) for about a week now. At first, it was stiff and more difficult to play with extra effort on my left fingers. As they become more ... callous now, and the strings seems to stretch and settle, I love the bright, crispy trebles and warm/brighter basses.

I think the longer scale would effectively makes the string tensions even higher, qualitatively; not sure quantitatively. So the Imperial Blue, med/hi trebles would be closer to harder tension, the same can be interpreted for the basses. Thus I would not try to "optimize" any further with Regal treble strings.

When I restrung my bro's RA R4, D'Addario Hard Tension strings were used, and I like the sound of this R4 with traditional sound. He promised to give me his guitar some time ago (he re-strung individually when one snapped, and they are old), now he changed his mind :)

As discussed in other related posts, there are other factors such as action, how you play -with finger nail length, shape, and techniques e.g. rest stroke, it is not easy to have a common set of "rules" to optimize your guitar sound, string tensions alone is just one factor.
:chitarrista:
Jacek A. Rochacki wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:21 pm

(snip)

a guide to Augustine strings:

With Augustine strings the colour defines the bass strings:
- Black = low tension basses
- Red = med tension basses
- Blue = high tension basses.

The above basses are paired with one of the following treble string sets:
- Classic = low/med tension
- Imperial = med/high tension
- Regal = high tension.

Thus if you buy 'Regal Blues', you will get high tension trebles with high tension basses.
If you buy 'Classic Reds', you will get low/med tension trebles with medium tension basses.

First, choose you bass tension - low, medium or high (black, red, blue).
Then choose your treble tension - medium, high, extra high (Classic, Imperial, Regal).
Put those two words together and you had your chosen set.

And here we have a chart with data on Augustine tension
Augustine_tension.PNG

joachim33

Post by joachim33 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:50 pm

@Jacek

Thanks for sharing these data. Any clues on the origin of these? Who measured them? Reference scale length?

@all

A comment on the trebles: I understand that at least the classics are a different material from regal and imperial and not just a thinner (= lower tension) version of the same thing. Not sure on the regal vs imperial in that respect.

acmost9

Post by acmost9 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:02 pm

Thanks for the chart...Classic Trebles are pretty much higher tension than EJ46 Trebles? I would not have thought that.

Jacek A. Rochacki

Post by Jacek A. Rochacki » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:14 pm

@Joachim33: this chart was published some time ago here at our (Delcamp) forum. Another source are pages of albert augustine company, please Google for albertaugustine dot com slash classical hash (or similar)

joachim33

Post by joachim33 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:54 pm

Jacek A. Rochacki wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:14 pm
@Joachim33: this chart was published some time ago here at our (Delcamp) forum. Another source are pages of albert augustine company, please Google for albertaugustine dot com slash classical hash (or similar)
Thanks for the additional info. I checked their website often, I can see gauge measurements (width), but no tension figures. I am pretty sur they do not publish those any longer. They only offer text: low, medium, high these days.

Jacek A. Rochacki

Post by Jacek A. Rochacki » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:08 pm

This chart was published here by one of moderators - Marko Räsänen
viewtopic.php?f=43&t=60555&start=45#p1123141
at the fourth page of the thread: String Tension List that I find helpfull.

joachim33

Post by joachim33 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:56 am

Jacek A. Rochacki wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:08 pm
This chart was published here by one of moderators - Marko Räsänen
viewtopic.php?f=43&t=60555&start=45#p1123141
at the fourth page of the thread: String Tension List that I find helpfull.
Thanks for this. When reading further up in that thread, one can see they were private communications from the Albert Augustine company to member guido.

Return to “Public Space”