Anyone started to buy vinyl again?

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
DevonBadger

Anyone started to buy vinyl again?

Post by DevonBadger » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:56 pm

It seems remarkable to me that sales of vinyl records continue to rise, in the UK at least, and that many classic rock and pop albums can now be bought from supermarkets and an increasing number of old style record shops.

I was wondering if anyone has started to buy classical guitar recordings on vinyl and how available you have found them to be?

chiral3

Re: Anyone started to buy vinyl again?

Post by chiral3 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:03 pm

Never stopped buying. Note I am 41, so I didn't start with a large collection, but I have a few thousand now. I probably pick up anywhere from two to ten LPs a month.

As far as CG. Not much new has come out. Maybe only a few in the last couple of years. One of my favorites is Andrew York's Yamour. The recording, pressing, and music are superb. In case you missed, Andrew just had a kickstarter for Home, which he finished recording a couple of weeks ago. The LP is being done by my friends at AP in Salinas, Kansas. Looking forward to that in my mail this spring. Yesterday I was listening to Michael Newman's Chaconne on Sheffield, which is amazing. Most CG I have are NOS. That being said, there is a good amount of new and reissue classical music, particularly chamber and ensemble.
物の哀れ

cefyn

Post by cefyn » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:07 pm

I replaced all my vinyl with Cds - what a con. I'm not falling for that again and replacing them with vinyl.
1983 Robert Cross Spruce & IRW

chiral3

Post by chiral3 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:09 pm

I posted Yamour spinning a little while back... download/file.php?id=59603&mode=view
物の哀れ

andreas777

Post by andreas777 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:16 pm

I sold all my +/-1000 records about two years ago for a very low price to a local second hand record store. I knew that you could get much more money selling records one by one, especially all the rare disco records I have owned, but this would have triggered some old memories and old stories, and I wanted to end this epoch by selling them all. I won't start to buy vinyl again.
Happiness is when what you think what you say and what you do are in harmony.

David Norton

Post by David Norton » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:44 pm

I have always owned vinyl. I have about 1200 LPs still in my collection. Availability via online sources (The Bay) is excellent.
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT

albert-canuck

Post by albert-canuck » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:53 pm

I kept all of my rock and heavy metal records from the 80's and have recently started buying used ones again. My musical interests have broadened as I've gotten older to include jazz and folk. Just the other week I bought three Russian folk song lp's. I now have a couple thousand.

I don't have too many classical guitar or lute lp's but I do have a few Liona Boyd, Segovia and Parkening lp's. There are also a few flamenco ones. I was also sucked into buying cd's when they came out and have many classical guitar and lute ones (around 100) and a few flamenco ones.

I even have a few hundred concert laser discs, mostly classical but some rock, heavy metal and jazz. Did I say my interests have broadened?:)
1979 Ramirez 1a 10 String
1992 Paulino Berbabe M50
1968 Taurus model 56
2005 Dan Lankford 8 Course Renaissance Lute
2008 000 Bertoncini
2005 Breedlove C25 Northwest Classic
old German Lute Guitar
1982 Yamaha G231 II (first guitar)

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:06 pm

I never had more than 85 pieces of vinyl. Sold 30 of those in 1983. I threw the rest away more than 10 years ago. Glad to see the back of it. Horrible clicks and pops and rubbish. Also I had about 100 music cassettes. That was stupid too. They all went in the bin with the VHS. Currently I have about 400 (not more, I hope) CDs. I never listen to them. I should get rid of maybe half of them. Some people have ditched everything they own and only listen to mp3s. I can understand that.
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

Peter Frary

Post by Peter Frary » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:19 pm

I have about 5000 LPs, mostly classical guitar, Baroque chamber music and jazz, but only spin on special occasions as I'm rarely home save for practicing and sleep! I usually clean them with a record vacuum before listening and have recorded the most beloved tracks at 48K for use in my car, where most of my listening happens (2 hours commuting daily). It's rare to hear a click or pop on my collection but I really babied them through the years. No new LPs—not interested in pop music—but I seem to pick up used ones here and there.
I play a Cordoba Mini so I look taller on stage!

chiral3

Post by chiral3 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:50 pm

Agreed. Clicks, pops, other noise,..., on less than 5% of my entire collection. Jet black noise floor. I don't clean before every use, but all of my LPs have been run through my cleaner. What most people associate with poor sound - forget costs - are years of smoke (if you grew up in the 50s-80's), 5 grams of extra tracking force, poor set-ups, and accumulate grime from storage, etc.
物の哀れ

prawnheed

Post by prawnheed » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:09 pm

I sold all my vinyl and CDs a couple of years ago. I don't think I will ever actually buy music again, streaming is so much easier.

Denian Arcoleo
Composer

Post by Denian Arcoleo » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:34 pm

Yes! I just set up a turntable and have been buying 2nd hand classical LP's, some dating right back to the fifties! Great listening.

tubeman

Post by tubeman » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:01 pm

I had about 1200 LPs until it was obvious that CDs were here to stay, so I got rid of 75% of them. Lately, I have spent a fortune replacing them, as many are now out of print! I'm back up to 800 or so. I do occasionally buy new reissues from DG and some audiophile labels, but at $35+, they get expensive quickly! I recently bought a killer turntable, the VPI Signature Prime, so I feel obligated to keep buying LPs!
Randy Angella 2009 sp/Br (for sale)

CliffK

Post by CliffK » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:52 pm

Sure, never stopped but I just have several hundred classical and jazz albums. Very selective and buy NOS or used in very good condition or higher. Play them on a Thorens TD320 in my modest living room system. Have some old CDs and get a few once in a while but basically just buy vinyl from time to time. I also have cassettes that I play through a Revox B215 and in the car. Last year, I paid $.98 for a NOS double cassette set of Tanenbaum “Estudios” — Carcassi, Sor, Brouwer — that sound fine.
Michael Thames 2010 It Spruce/BR
Rockbridge SJ cedar/mahagony 2007, cutaway, inlay

edcat7

Post by edcat7 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:38 am

Recently I bought Amy Winehouse and Coldplay on vinyl. The sound was so dreadful I hesitate to buy any more new vinyl.
Remember Anthony Weller, please help. Contact myself or Aaron Green for details.

Return to “Public Space”