Anyone started to buy vinyl again?

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Carl

Re: Anyone started to buy vinyl again?

Post by Carl » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:38 am

For me - the physical aspect of the music pressed into real stuff you can handle and set spinning on a turntable and get music out of it is cool. The attention and involvement with playing records gives a sense of "I" somehow am in the loop of setting this music to life.

On the other hand - I remember the pains and prices for quality equipment with low distortions and expensive needles. Also, each spin is creating wear between the platter and needle (degradation) so no two spins are the same. Dirt and dust battle gets old.

Nostalgic yes - practical no.

ddray

Post by ddray » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:03 am

Carl wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:38 am

Yeah, I agree. I also used to love the *smell* of the old vinyl records. One thing that's been lost though is album cover art, which somehow forever connected itself to the record inside. I had quite a few LPs at one time but had to sell them during the economic downturn back in 2010 or so. There are some I wish I had back, but only to digitize them. Otherwise I don't miss vinyl that much.

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:37 am

And then there's the weight of a vinyl collection. Have fun moving those 5,000 discs, Peter!

My ears were very sensitive to wow and flutter, so I made sure I got one of those tacky direct drive turntables with a strobe and very low wow and flutter specs (but the bastard fed back on exactly the same note as the bass note in David Bowie's Heroes, so I could only ever listen to that with phones). I remember when Van Morrison brought out Beautiful Vision. I was convinced it was printed with the hole off-centre, and I couldn't bear to listen to the last track, Scandinavia, which just sounded like it was all over the place. The shop replaced it two or three times and agreed it didn't sound right, and eventually I think I tolerated one that wasn't quite as bad as the rest, but last year I finally bought the CD and no problems at all - they must have printed a whole batch of vinyl off-centre somehow.
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

Altophile

Post by Altophile » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:11 pm

I haven't bought any new vinyl in ages, but I pick up a used album now and then from Half Price Books and elsewhere. Setting aside the debate about sound quality (e.g. digital gives you slices of the sound wave whereas vinyl gives you a mirror image), the fact is that there is still a whole lot of good music that hasn't been reissued on CD yet, so if you want to hear it at all, you've got to go with an album, if you can find one.

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:25 pm

Altophile wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:11 pm
the fact is that there is still a whole lot of good music that hasn't been reissued on CD yet, so if you want to hear it at all, you've got to go with an album, if you can find one.
I suspect you've simply missed the bus on a lot of stuff (although you may be right about classical music) - when CDs were new, everything was re-issued. Since then much has been deleted again. I had two totally worn out vinyl copies of Tim Buckley's Starsailor - impossible to find by the late 70s. Dead easy to get on CD if you jumped in early. Even more extreme for Blue Afternoon - I never even saw a copy of that until CDs came along.

However, one of my favourite pieces of vinyl was 6 Vivaldi trio-sonatas for solo oboe by Heinz Holliger - I've never seen that on CD.
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

ddray

Post by ddray » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:41 pm

Altophile wrote:
I haven't bought any new vinyl in ages, but I pick up a used album now and then from Half Price Books and elsewhere. Setting aside the debate about sound quality (e.g. digital gives you slices of the sound wave whereas vinyl gives you a mirror image), the fact is that there is still a whole lot of good music that hasn't been reissued on CD yet, so if you want to hear it at all, you've got to go with an album, if you can find one.
Now that's true. I just became acquainted with the Elaine Shaffer recordings of the Bach flute sonatas, which recordings are hailed by many as the finest ever. For whatever reason, they've never been remastered and reissued (to my knowledge).

bear

Post by bear » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:35 pm

I haven't purchased vinyl in awhile, but I still have my 78's and my wife has her 45's. I worked for a record company in the 60's and picked up a few 33 1/3 's.
I wasn't into cg then, I have a lot of orchestral recordings and big band.
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Giustina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:34 pm

I have only about 100 LPS. I have some old classical vinyl, just a few. Most are guitar. I got about a dozen records from a fellow forum member, for the price of shipping. A couple of gems in there. There was a box set of Segovia from the fifties, and a double live set of Williams and Bream together from the 70's. It's more of a nostalgia trip to me. I still have an LP of Jefferson Starship's Modern Times that I got for my birthday when I was fifteen years old from my girlfriend, along with a hand made card from her. Lost my virginity while listening to that record. Good times. Good memories.

I inherited about 30 records from my sister when she died a few years ago. The old, original vinyl records are pressed better than the new records. I bought a reissue of Led Zeppelin 3, and was unimpressed. The record was warped somewhat, and I had to adjust the tracking pressure just to play it without it skipping.

I was going to buy Queen's 40th anniversary set of News of the World for the alternate takes, but found them all on YT for free. I listened to all the alternate recordings, and ultimately decided it wasn't worth the 90 bucks they were selling it for. So no, I don't think that I will be buying any new vinyl, just old vinyl from our city's only used record store.

Leitmotiv

Post by Leitmotiv » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:23 pm

I took delivery of 'John Williams plays Barrios' (1977) this morning; a gorgeous cover to match the music inside. I'm waiting on six other albums
besides; some from the UK and Europe. some from the States. Two are original release Led Zeppelin (2 and 4), and an original 'Electric Ladyland' of Jimi Hendrix. Thin Lizzy's 'Vagabonds of the Western World', Joni Mitchell's 'Hejira', and 'Eli' by Jan Akkermann & Kaz Lux make up the rest.
The guitarplaying on 'Eli' is astounding.

Leitmotiv
Last edited by Leitmotiv on Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
"...the wonderful ease of masters" - Albert Camus

Smudger5150

Post by Smudger5150 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:01 am

Andrew Fryer wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:25 pm
Altophile wrote:
the fact is that there is still a whole lot of good music that hasn't been reissued on CD yet, so if you want to hear it at all, you've got to go with an album, if you can find one.
I suspect you've simply missed the bus on a lot of stuff (although you may be right about classical music) - when CDs were new, everything was re-issued. Since then much has been deleted again. I had two totally worn out vinyl copies of Tim Buckley's Starsailor - impossible to find by the late 70s. Dead easy to get on CD if you jumped in early. Even more extreme for Blue Afternoon - I never even saw a copy of that until CDs came along.

However, one of my favourite pieces of vinyl was 6 Vivaldi trio-sonatas for solo oboe by Heinz Holliger - I've never seen that on CD.
When I 1st read this thread, I was thinking that buying vinyl, and I mean 2nd-hand or charity shop type, is the only way to get 'out of print'(?) albums. Certainly, all the 'new' stuff I see in the supermarkets is just reissues of the popular stuff e.g. Led Zeps, Beatles etc.
As for streaming, I guess eventually everything might be subsumed onto the Net when every last album has been ripped/turned into digital. But you can't get everything via streaming at the moment if you want something from the past a little off the beaten track. And as some have mentioned, I think, older classical (guitar) LPs might come under this category.
"Music washes away the dust of every day life." Art Blakey

"If I don’t practice for a day, I know it. If I don’t practice for two days, the critics know it. And if I don’t practice for three days, the public knows it." Louis Armstrong

Altophile

Post by Altophile » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:27 am

Andrew Fryer wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:25 pm
Altophile wrote:
I suspect you've simply missed the bus on a lot of stuff (although you may be right about classical music) - when CDs were new, everything was re-issued.
I'm referring to albums that were never issued on CD at all, whose name has been legion in my experience.

For example, until last year, Yepes' "Bach & Weiss" album had never been reissued on a CD. I contacted DG about 15 years ago and asked them why, and asked if they'd consider doing so, and they replied with one of those bland responses that make one wonder if they paid any attention at all to my questions, i.e. "We have no plans at this time...blah, blah, blah".

Alice Artzt is a fine guitarist (at least she was, I don't know her current status) who had a number of albums published. As far as I know, only one of them was ever released on CD. Another originated as a CD, namely "Variations, Passacaglias & Chaconnes". BTW, if anyone wants to buy this CD, which has one of the finest recordings of Weiss' deliciously dark Ciacona, don't pay $79 used at Amazon. Go strait to Hyperion's site, where you can download it in high quality FLAC format or order it as an Archive CD for about the price of an in print CD.

Guitarist William Matthews is one of the few people to record S.L. Weiss' Suite II in D Maj, from the London Mss. That album has never made it to CD.

Time Life used to sell a wonderful collection of albums with music from the Swing Era. Each box had three albums covering a certain period, and a nice book that had memorabilia from the period. I have 15 of the 3 album sets, which haven't been reissued on CD yet, despite my pleas to Time Life.

And on, and on, and on I could go...

CliffK

Post by CliffK » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:53 am

For high quality jazz vinyl and cd try Mosaic Records. They carefully research, remaster, and reissue. Great liner notes, photos, and so on.

http://www.mosaicrecords.com

I buy selected in both media from them. Their cd Joe Pass Quartet complete Pacific Jazz set is very nice.
Michael Thames 2010 It Spruce/BR
Rockbridge SJ cedar/mahagony 2007, cutaway, inlay

tateharmann

Post by tateharmann » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:37 pm

I've been buying some vinyl from Spain to digitize and have a listen. I've gotten some interesting stuff that was otherwise unavailable for me to hear by other means. I do like hearing CG on vinyl...really cool vintage sound. Segovia amd Williams really shine :) haha
"Speed is the enemy of emotion." - Emilio Pujol Vilarrubi

chiral3

Post by chiral3 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:49 pm

It occurs to me, not for the first time, that there are maybe three (mutually exclusive) experiential camps when it comes to vinyl. Each are totally valid in their own right but come from different perspectives. There's the nostalgia camp, the fashion camp, and the music/audio camp. Some may argue that the last camp may actually be two - the old quip that audiophiles hate music; which, while backhanded, isn't entirely meritless.

I had some people over to my house for dinner a week or so ago. One couple was about 20 years older than me. I played some LPs for the husband. He was gobsmacked. First, he couldn't believe that there was no noise. Second, he kept closing his eyes and saying it was the most realistic reproduction of music he'd ever heard.
物の哀れ

Rasputin

Post by Rasputin » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:20 pm

Carl wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:38 am
That's more or less how I feel about it... I love the idea but it just doesn't fit with the way I listen to music. Just now I was comparing two performances of Beethoven's Piano Sonata No 21, which is easy with a streaming service but would be a total PITA with vinyl. I hardly ever listen to an entire album all the way through so would be constantly changing records etc. Portability is also an issue for me because I travel a lot... no contest there.

BTW I tried listening to streamed music through my Focusrite box rather than beaming it straight to a speaker via AirPlay or Bluetooth. What a difference!

Return to “Public Space”