So how close to 40-55% humidity should I be?

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Altophile

Re: So how close to 40-55% humidity should I be?

Post by Altophile » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:08 am

I'm surprised at the figures being expressed here. When I read what humidity to keep my apt at for the sake of my guitar, the online article(s) said 30 to 60% is fine, but anything below or above is dangerous.

BellyDoc

Post by BellyDoc » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:13 am

Consistency is really helpful. Large fluctuations are probably a bigger threat than a modestly low humidity that’s otherwise stable. Change in humidity just insures that whatever potential there is for expansion and contraction is maximized in exactly the way that you don’t want it to be.

My home relative humidity varies from low/mid 30s to high 40s. I have an aquarium which probably helps. I keep guitars in a sealed second hand armoire I customized with a rock stable humidity of 43%. I really like having a cabinet because I can just open the door and shelve my guitar if I leave the room. It’s no more complicated than putting milk back in the fridge (now if I could just remember to put the milk away...)

The humidity stabilizer is a plastic bucket with a liter of saturated potassium carbonate solution and the evaporator from a small humidifier soaking it up.
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." -Sir Isaac Newton

Armin Hanika 56PF

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:15 am

Altophile wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:08 am
I'm surprised at the figures being expressed here. When I read what humidity to keep my apt at for the sake of my guitar, the online article(s) said 30 to 60% is fine, but anything below or above is dangerous.
If the guitar was constructed at 50% RH 70% isn't going to kill it, 30% RH might. Too dry is far worse than too wet.
Historicalguitars.

Gustavosamor

Post by Gustavosamor » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:40 pm

I will say it is true that it is nearly impossible to keep an entire house between those humidity values, but that's why it is important to have that practice room where you also keep your guitar(s). It is easier to control in that way because if you take the guitar our to play a gig, the exposure to the dry air won't be longer than 2 hours. Also be careful with stage lighting systems!

richtm

Post by richtm » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:30 pm

I agree on the last statement, either you store your guitar in the case with some humidifier and hygrometer (as e.g. Eastman and other supplier offer it) or you store your guitar(s) in a small room that you are able to humidfy. I have no experience with cracked guitars, but I life in Hamburg which is a pretty wet are. Never the less we have in these winter days less than 40%rh so the humidifier is on to keep a humidity between 45% and 55% in my small office.
Some people report differences in sound of the guitar that is dry or humdified. I have not yet noticed any effect, but out of theory I can immagine that there should be one. :casque:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ernest Köröskenyi 1977 Cedar top; Pauline Bernabe Especial 2007 Spruce top, Andreas Kirmse 2017 Cedar Double-top

Return to “Public Space”