Researching Older Yamaha Guitars - Including Grand Concerts

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
User avatar
Beowulf
Posts: 421
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:02 pm
Location: London, Ontario CANADA

Re: Researching Older Yamaha Guitars - Including Grand Concerts

Post by Beowulf » Sat May 27, 2017 2:08 am

Can you provide a picture of the front and the label?
1971 Yamaha GC-10

ashepps
Posts: 563
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:06 pm
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

Re: Researching Older Yamaha Guitars - Including Grand Concerts

Post by ashepps » Sat May 27, 2017 2:26 am

Yes, I am interested, I purchased a handmade 1972 GC 20D and paid $800 for it. Loved it very much, but sold it on this forum because it had a 663 mm scale length. I have a very small hand and finally realized that I needed a smaller scale so I now have a 640 mm, 86 J-15 Asturias (full size). Yamaha made great guitars in those years, I can attest to that!
Alan Sheppard
1986 630mm Asturias JM-15 Spruce
1955 650mm Framus SL-32R
2015 650mm Yamaha SLG110N

User avatar
HNLim
Posts: 2301
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:02 am
Location: Singapore - The City in a Garden

Re: Researching Older Yamaha Guitars - Including Grand Concerts

Post by HNLim » Sat May 27, 2017 2:57 am

musguitar wrote:
Fri May 12, 2017 8:29 am
Hi everyone, am new in the forum. Am also a big fan of old GCs. I read at one point some GCs used brazilian/jacaranda back and sides. The picture below of an old GC-- if it is not indian rw-- then what could be it? Thanks in advance.
Image
What GC model and the date on the label. A photo of the headstock and label will be useful in identifying.

ashepps
Posts: 563
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:06 pm
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

Re: Researching Older Yamaha Guitars - Including Grand Concerts

Post by ashepps » Sat May 27, 2017 3:25 am

HNLim wrote:
Sat May 27, 2017 2:57 am
musguitar wrote:
Fri May 12, 2017 8:29 am
Hi everyone, am new in the forum. Am also a big fan of old GCs. I read at one point some GCs used brazilian/jacaranda back and sides. The picture below of an old GC-- if it is not indian rw-- then what could be it? Thanks in advance.
Image
What GC model and the date on the label. A photo of the headstock and label will be useful in identifying.
Lim, I was thinking of you and will try and scan the material tomorrow so you can use it here perhaps.

Alan
Alan Sheppard
1986 630mm Asturias JM-15 Spruce
1955 650mm Framus SL-32R
2015 650mm Yamaha SLG110N

User avatar
musguitar
Posts: 51
Joined: Fri May 12, 2017 6:39 am

Re: Researching Older Yamaha Guitars - Including Grand Concerts

Post by musguitar » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:54 am

Hi HN, sorry for the late reply. It is a GC-40

TheEvan
Posts: 240
Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:36 pm
Location: Baton Rouge

Re: Researching Older Yamaha Guitars - Including Grand Concerts

Post by TheEvan » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:52 am

My guess is Honduran RW. I had a GC 50 and it was Honduran, albeit darker.

User avatar
HNLim
Posts: 2301
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:02 am
Location: Singapore - The City in a Garden

Re: Researching Older Yamaha Guitars - Including Grand Concerts

Post by HNLim » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:22 pm

Knowing the year will also help in identifying.

Kalidor
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:30 am

Re: Researching Older Yamaha Guitars - Including Grand Concerts

Post by Kalidor » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:57 am

Hi, looking for some information on 1983 CG31 that a friend's friend is putting up for sale.

Are the CG made in the 80s inferior in quality and sound to one that's made in the 60s or 70s?

What would a 1983 CG31 compare to in the 60s & 70s?

I've been out of playing for the last 12 years or so and would like to get right back in...

Thanks....

User avatar
HNLim
Posts: 2301
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:02 am
Location: Singapore - The City in a Garden

Re: Researching Older Yamaha Guitars - Including Grand Concerts

Post by HNLim » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:50 pm

    Kalidor wrote:
    Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:57 am
    Hi, looking for some information on 1983 CG31 that a friend's friend is putting up for sale.

    Are the CG made in the 80s inferior in quality and sound to one that's made in the 60s or 70s?

    What would a 1983 CG31 compare to in the 60s & 70s?

    I've been out of playing for the last 12 years or so and would like to get right back in...

    Thanks....
    It would equate to a GC3.

    Kalidor
    Posts: 11
    Joined: Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:30 am

    Re: Researching Older Yamaha Guitars - Including Grand Concerts

    Post by Kalidor » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:51 am

    Thank you very much!

    The GC 3 was the entry level grand concert in its day right? In this case, do you think a very good condition GC 31 would be worth getting?

    HNLim, I am from Singapore too and I read on your post that there's actually a luthier in Singapore?!?!
    I thought the nearest one was across the causeway. Not aware that there's also one on our sunny shores.

    User avatar
    HNLim
    Posts: 2301
    Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:02 am
    Location: Singapore - The City in a Garden

    Re: Researching Older Yamaha Guitars - Including Grand Concerts

    Post by HNLim » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:56 am

    Kalidor wrote:
    Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:51 am
    Thank you very much!

    The GC 3 was the entry level grand concert in its day right? In this case, do you think a very good condition GC 31 would be worth getting?

    HNLim, I am from Singapore too and I read on your post that there's actually a luthier in Singapore?!?!
    I thought the nearest one was across the causeway. Not aware that there's also one on our sunny shores.
    If you are interested, I can make arrangement for you to see. You will be surprised how good sounding are the Singapore made guitars.

    ashepps
    Posts: 563
    Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:06 pm
    Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

    Re: Researching Older Yamaha Guitars - Including Grand Concerts

    Post by ashepps » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:03 am

    Lin,

    I will get you off those photo scans of the other guitars from your line of the 30A shortly. I apologize for my tardiness.

    Alan
    Alan Sheppard
    1986 630mm Asturias JM-15 Spruce
    1955 650mm Framus SL-32R
    2015 650mm Yamaha SLG110N

    Kalidor
    Posts: 11
    Joined: Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:30 am

    Re: Researching Older Yamaha Guitars - Including Grand Concerts

    Post by Kalidor » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:18 pm

    HNLim wrote:
    Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:56 am
    Kalidor wrote:
    Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:51 am
    Thank you very much!

    The GC 3 was the entry level grand concert in its day right? In this case, do you think a very good condition GC 31 would be worth getting?

    HNLim, I am from Singapore too and I read on your post that there's actually a luthier in Singapore?!?!
    I thought the nearest one was across the causeway. Not aware that there's also one on our sunny shores.
    If you are interested, I can make arrangement for you to see. You will be surprised how good sounding are the Singapore made guitars.
    Very interested, but may not have the budget now to make any significant purchase unfortunately...

    630mm
    Posts: 72
    Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:32 pm

    Re: Researching Older Yamaha Guitars - Including Grand Concerts

    Post by 630mm » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:46 am

    I was looking at some late 70s Japan made GCs on the bay and noticed one of the auctions stated that the GC5s in the listing was made by Fujigen. The signature appeared to be Harada. I was unaware of that collaboration. Does anyone have more information?
    1973 Ryoji Matsuoka No. 30 Cedar 650mm
    1976 Masaru Matano 600 Cedar 658mm
    2015 Francisco Navarro Concert Cedar 630mm
    1972 Yamaha GC-6D Ezo Spruce 662mm

    User avatar
    Beowulf
    Posts: 421
    Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:02 pm
    Location: London, Ontario CANADA

    Re: Researching Older Yamaha Guitars - Including Grand Concerts

    Post by Beowulf » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:09 pm

    630mm wrote:
    Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:46 am
    I was looking at some late 70s Japan made GCs on the bay and noticed one of the auctions stated that the GC5s in the listing was made by Fujigen. The signature appeared to be Harada. I was unaware of that collaboration. Does anyone have more information?
    I have never come across any association between Yamaha classical guitars and Fujigen.
    1971 Yamaha GC-10

    Return to “Public Space”