Researching Older Yamaha Guitars - Including Grand Concerts

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Beowulf

Re: Researching Older Yamaha Guitars - Including Grand Conce

Post by Beowulf » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:35 am

musicstand wrote:Rob22315,
I am late with this info and I am sorry. You wrote.....
""I was hoping the strings would slide smoothly over the tusq nut but one or two of the bass strings still hang up during tuning (mostly the D string). Any suggestions as to how I might file the nut a little to keep that from happening?""

I always rub the nut slots with a pencil whenever I change the strings. I use the 2B (softness or hardness ??) .5mm leads in my Pilot pencil.
Regards
Jim
Yes... you file very lightly to the edge that is catching to produce a round or radius. Fine emery paper will work fine. A similar process is used to remove the sharp edge on the underside of the fingernail after shaping. Alternately, you can gently lift the string as it is being tightened a few times. In this manner the wire wraps clear the sharp edge until you reach tuning tension. I would recommend the first solution.

marxtom

Post by marxtom » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:55 am

Beowulf wrote:Finally...I believe I have tracked down the name of the Japanese luthier: Toshio Kato. He was apparently the first to be trained at Yamaha by the Spanish luthier Eduardo Ferrer.
The first Janpanese luthier at Yamaha trained by Ferrer is Ezaki(江崎). That's is what the signature " 江崎秀行" on the label.
Last edited by marxtom on Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

marxtom

Post by marxtom » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:57 am

Beowulf wrote:Many thanks chelson! I am pretty sure that it is japanese and suspect that it would be the luthier's "signature." Of course this could contain a name, but also as you suggest a reference to the voice of the instrument. Thanks for your thoughts.

On a second technical point, I notice that today, all green aberrations have disappeared from my posted images? I also realized that the two posted images appear the same size in the posts despite the fact that the second upload file was 2.5+ times larger than the first. Perhaps an administrator will have the answer to this mystery.

Finally...to provide a more readable image of the writing on the label:
Japanese Luthier's Name.jpg
It is japanese, the luthier is H.Ezaki (江崎秀行).

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:54 pm

marxtom wrote:
Beowulf wrote:Many thanks chelson! I am pretty sure that it is japanese and suspect that it would be the luthier's "signature." Of course this could contain a name, but also as you suggest a reference to the voice of the instrument. Thanks for your thoughts.

On a second technical point, I notice that today, all green aberrations have disappeared from my posted images? I also realized that the two posted images appear the same size in the posts despite the fact that the second upload file was 2.5+ times larger than the first. Perhaps an administrator will have the answer to this mystery.

Finally...to provide a more readable image of the writing on the label:
Japanese Luthier's Name.jpg
It is japanese, the luthier is H.Ezaki (江崎秀行).
Thanks for the correction marxtom...good to finally know.

jimmyz1972

Post by jimmyz1972 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:22 am

Iam looking at a 1986 GC31 with Kato signature, in my research i found that he was the first trained, so i don't know who it was really.

SusanGRas

year of yamaha gc 10

Post by SusanGRas » Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:42 am

yamaha label.JPG
Hi and thanks if anybody knows how I might date this guitar. The salesman called Yamaha but no luck. I liked it so much that I didn't care and bought anyway but I am wondering. They had us look inside for any other number but nothing can be found. Thanks again for your time and knowledge.
Susan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Cary W

Re: year of yamaha gc 10

Post by Cary W » Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:42 am

Hello Susan. I have a much-loved GC-3 from 1987. I know that the GC 3 up to GC70 were made in the 1980's. The style of label in the photo is the same as mine.

A quick search of Yamaha Guitarchive will give results for GC10A, but not GC10. This leads me to believe that your guitar is from the early part of that series, say 1979, or perhaps even prior to that.

In any event, you have a very worthwhile instrument. Try different strings to bring out the best sound.

Cheers,
Cary
2008 Yamaha GC31C Indian/cedar D'Addario EJ46
1987 Yamaha GC-3 Indian/cedar D'Addario EJ45

Cary W

Post by Cary W » Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:47 am

Post now merged with previous thread on the subject.
2008 Yamaha GC31C Indian/cedar D'Addario EJ46
1987 Yamaha GC-3 Indian/cedar D'Addario EJ45

SusanGRas

Post by SusanGRas » Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:00 am

Thanks for the info Cary and the previous thread. Susan

marxtom

Re: year of yamaha gc 10

Post by marxtom » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:28 am

SusanGRas wrote:
yamaha label.JPG
Hi and thanks if anybody knows how I might date this guitar. The salesman called Yamaha but no luck. I liked it so much that I didn't care and bought anyway but I am wondering. They had us look inside for any other number but nothing can be found. Thanks again for your time and knowledge.
Susan
Hello Susan,
Your guitar is made from Kaohsiung, Taiwan.
I had met yamaha former staffs in Kaohsiung factory recently and knew some information about.
Your guitar is made at the end of 70's latter or early 80's, Japan and Taiwan factory made GC-10 concurrently then.
However, Kaohsiung factory change their model name later.
Japan produced hign end model and leave the middle and lower model to Taiwan factory afterwards.
That's the story.

SusanGRas

Post by SusanGRas » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:04 pm

Thank you very much Marxtom. I so appreciate the response. This guitar appears brand new and the action and neck are perfect. I can't imagine someone would own this guitar and not play it. Great quality and sound and I am already enjoying playing it. Thanks again! Susan

dandan

Post by dandan » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:02 pm

I bought a gc3a off the big auction site. I had to reglue the bridge and there is a fair amount of superficial damage (which adds to the guitar's character IMO) but it plays and sounds great. I defy anyone to find a better guitar for the price I paid (about 100GBP inc postage and cost of bridge repair).
1962 Masaru Kono
1969 Rokutaro Nakade A9
1966 Sakazo Nakade model D
1977 Aria AG80

ashepps

Post by ashepps » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:11 pm

I played with your image a bit with only iPhoto for the Mac. I can certainly see it is a 1971 CG 10D with a signature that appears familiar, but don't they all when you don't know the language!

Have you tried lightly cleaning the surface of the guitar, there may be leftover cleaners or something on the surface? I got rid of some of it by playing with tint etc, but did not help too much.
Alan Sheppard
1986 630mm Asturias JM-15 Spruce
1955 650mm Framus SL-32R
2015 650mm Yamaha SLG110N

ashepps

Post by ashepps » Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:18 am

My above post was not meant for this forum and the post was done by mistake. I was reviewing a GC 10D at the time and must have got confused which forum I was on. These post, although, look wonderful and may be very useful to me tracking down a real Kato Toshio signature (in Japanese). My daughter took Japanese studies at university and she said she thinks she may be able to help. In 2001 I emailed the Japanese manufacturing plant and sent photos of my guitar. I was advised that Kato Toshio was the luthier and that it was a high end handmade model and in 2001 USD if it were then made and on the market it would be approximately the equivalent of a $5,000 guitar. This information verifies that my Kato signature is legitimate, yet there are many CG 20D guitars out there indicating that they are signed by Kato in Japanese but do not match mine. I would be interested in any information and will read this thread from the start with great interest.
Alan Sheppard
1955 650mm Framus SL-32R

ashepps

Re: Researching Older Yamaha Guitars - Including Grand Concerts

Post by ashepps » Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:37 am

I am interested in buying the History of Yamaha Guitars, ISBN 0634053264 if my 1972 Yamaha guitar GC-20 is included along with the rest of the line at that time from the GC-3D up to the top GC-20D. I have the catalog listing of 5 guitars, 3, 6, 10,15 and the 20D? I would like a little more that just a photo rather a bit of a story on the line. These were all hand made made in the Japan factory with remarkable inlays,

Thanks
Alan Sheppard
1955 650mm Framus SL-32R

Return to “Public Space”