Researching Older Yamaha Guitars - Including Grand Concerts

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Leo Apray
Posts: 181
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:14 am
Location: Germany

Re: Researching Older Yamaha Guitars - Including Grand Concerts

Post by Leo Apray » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:39 am

Hi Alan,
I have a GC3D from 1972, which I love very much.
I think my GC3D sounds already really nice, I just can't imagine how your GC20D would sound compared to my GC3D.
Do you think you have a possibility to scan the catalog you have, and post it here? I'm very interested to see it (especially the specification of the GC3D).

waikuentsui
Posts: 807
Joined: Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:23 pm
Location: Saskatchewan Canada

Re: Researching Older Yamaha Guitars - Including Grand Concerts

Post by waikuentsui » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:51 pm

Hi Leo;

Here are the specs of the Yamaha GC3D
Year(s) Sold:.................. 1971-74
Original MSRP(US$):.......... $245.00
Top:............................. Solid Ezo Spruce
Back / Sides:.................. Solid Indian Rosewood
Neck:........................... African Mahogany
Fingerboard:.................. Ebony
Bridge:......................... Indian Rosewood
Color(s):....................... Natual
String Length:................ 658mm
Notes:......................... Hand Crafted

Ezo spruce, which grows in the high mountains in Japan, is no longer allowed to be harvested.
There are some old stocks still available in Japan or outside Japan.
To commission a guitar with Ezo spruce top nowadays will cost thousands.
GC models sold in 1971-74 were GC3, GC5 and GC7.
In that era, the GC models were imitations of Spanish guitar in construction and sound.

Leo Apray
Posts: 181
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:14 am
Location: Germany

Re: Researching Older Yamaha Guitars - Including Grand Concerts

Post by Leo Apray » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:16 am

Hi Wai-Kuen,

thanks for sending the specification.
I really appreciate it.
I was quite lucky and found this GC3D for a very reasonable price.
The condition was not great at all, a lot of dings and dongs.
I still a beginner and for me the sound of GC3D (I think it was the lowest model in the series at that time) is already really nice.
I just can't imagine how the higher model would sound.

waikuentsui
Posts: 807
Joined: Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:23 pm
Location: Saskatchewan Canada

Re: Researching Older Yamaha Guitars - Including Grand Concerts

Post by waikuentsui » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:28 pm

Hi Leo;

Indeed, you are very lucky to have a GC3D as a beginner guitar, particularly you got it at a reasonable price.
This guitar will accompany you for a long time before you need to upgrade.

Do not be bother by the model number.
Although models 5 and 7 are considered as higher model and command higher prices,
they do not necessarily represent better sound.
They might; but not a guaranteed fact.

Higher models usually meant more ornament, bedeck, trim, and more expensive input material.
For example the GC7S in that era was made with Solid American Cedar, a higher input cost component at that time for Yamaha because of the Yen and USD exchange rate.

After the 70's, Yamaha GC model numbers started to rise.
The highest model goes all the way to CG70 with Solid German Spruce, priced at $12,000.
Granted, the higher model could represent better guitar.
How much better in sound is subjective.

waikuen

ashepps
Posts: 544
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:06 pm
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

Re: Researching Older Yamaha Guitars - Including Grand Concerts

Post by ashepps » Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:27 am

Somehow I must have changed my settings as I was not getting any feedback. I just went on to the forum now and see at least 4 entries!

***My question was: The History of Yamaha Guitars - does it contain information about this line? If not there is no sense buying the book.

I just had my 20D looked at last Saturday by an "expert" to see if all was OK with the neck and measurement of the strings at different places, I thought that the action may be out. He said definitely not and he could not believe the beautiful sound that my guitar produced, yes it had more ornamentation and cost me $800, but it is the first time I have heard someone other than myself play it. He was about 10 feet away and I could not believe the quality of the sound.

The small catalog I have lists the GC3D as "Select Pure Spruce Top, Palisandro Back and Sides, African Mahogany Neck, Ebony Fingerboard, with case and listed for $400, perhaps Canadian at that time? Mine listed for $995 although I paid just over $800

***In 2001 I emailed Yamaha of Japan with photos of inside and outside of the guitar, notice what is said about the Spruce Top it is actually Pine - See below:

EMAIL to YAMAHA of JAPAN

"Sheppard, Alan,
From: Yoichi Oba [y-oba@post.yamaha.co.jp]
Sent: Friday, September 28, 2001 7:29 AM
To: Sheppard, Alan
Subject: Re: FW: Re: Acoustic Guitar Contact Mail

Dear Alan,

Sorry for the delay to reply to you.
Thanks for sending these precious pictures.
The Japanese character name is read as Toshio Kato.
Mr. Toshio Kato is our first classical guitar designer, and still he is working in YAMAHA. And this model was Handcrafted high end guitar.
The top board is actually a Pine which is called Ezomatsu or Hokkaido spruce, growing in northern part of Japan(Hokkaido).
It is very hard to say its value now, but if we produce it with same specification, the price will be around US$5,000."

Don't forget, should I purchase the book?

Thanks - Alan
Alan Sheppard
1986 630mm Asturias JM-15 Spruce
1955 650mm Framus SL-32R
2015 650mm Yamaha SLG110N

Leo Apray
Posts: 181
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:14 am
Location: Germany

Re: Researching Older Yamaha Guitars - Including Grand Concerts

Post by Leo Apray » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:34 am

Hi Wai-Kuen,
It seems that you know Yamaha CG really well.
Yesterday I put a new treble string on it (unknown brand, came along with the guitar, already opened but no brand), and oh my, I just couldn't put the guitar down until late midnight. I really wonder what brand it is. I'm looking forward how the sound would be when the strings are settled down.


Hi Alan,
Thanks for the information. I really appreciate it.
About the book, I saw the book in online book shop. Indeed, it looks very interesting.
Unfortunately it's rather expensive to buy it in Germany, otherwise I might think about buying it too.
Kindly share some interesting information, if you decide to buy it.

ashepps
Posts: 544
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:06 pm
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

Re: Researching Older Yamaha Guitars - Including Grand Concerts

Post by ashepps » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:53 am

[quote=Hi Alan,
Thanks for the information. I really appreciate it.
About the book, I saw the book in online book shop. Indeed, it looks very interesting.
Unfortunately it's rather expensive to buy it in Germany, otherwise I might think about buying it too.
Kindly share some interesting information, if you decide to buy it.[/quote]

Many guitars are great, perhaps a lot better than mine for sure. But I am fortunate that I have it and it has been great to me.
The info I received back in 2001 was invaluable, I was also given much more on the the guitar like the scale length, nut etc.

Do you know for sure if this line of guitars appears in the History of Yamaha Guitars?

Many thanks,

Alan
Alan Sheppard
1986 630mm Asturias JM-15 Spruce
1955 650mm Framus SL-32R
2015 650mm Yamaha SLG110N

ashepps
Posts: 544
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:06 pm
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

Re: Researching Older Yamaha Guitars - Including Grand Concerts

Post by ashepps » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:57 am

waikuentsui wrote:Hi Leo;

Here are the specs of the Yamaha GC3D
Year(s) Sold:.................. 1971-74
Original MSRP(US$):.......... $245.00
Top:............................. Solid Ezo Spruce
Back / Sides:.................. Solid Indian Rosewood
Neck:........................... African Mahogany
Fingerboard:.................. Ebony
Bridge:......................... Indian Rosewood
Color(s):....................... Natual
String Length:................ 658mm
Notes:......................... Hand Crafted

Ezo spruce, which grows in the high mountains in Japan, is no longer allowed to be harvested.
There are some old stocks still available in Japan or outside Japan.
To commission a guitar with Ezo spruce top nowadays will cost thousands.
GC models sold in 1971-74 were GC3, GC5 and GC7.
In that era, the GC models were imitations of Spanish guitar in construction and sound.
Hi,

I was just wondering where or what catalog you received your information from, you seem to know very much about the era of my guitar. Hope you can lead me to some definitive information of who, what, when and where. I really mean just where my guitar sits with regards to all the others around that time.

Thanks - Alan
Alan Sheppard
1986 630mm Asturias JM-15 Spruce
1955 650mm Framus SL-32R
2015 650mm Yamaha SLG110N

waikuentsui
Posts: 807
Joined: Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:23 pm
Location: Saskatchewan Canada

Re: Researching Older Yamaha Guitars - Including Grand Concerts

Post by waikuentsui » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:33 pm

Alan and Leo;

The information I have is readily available in the internet.
http://www.yamaha.com/apps/guitararchiv ... chive2.asp
Below is a posting by our member, Bob Newby, a well informed expert in Yamaha.
I learned a lot from his posts, including the URL link.

As for the book, I heard about it but I don't have it.
If you want to learn about Yamaha history, you can do a search on this forum.
There are thousands of threads.
You have to scan through the titles and look for relevant topics.

waikuentsui
Bob Newby wrote:What follows is a brief guide to the Internet resources I have found most useful for researching older Yamaha classical guitars. These are not listed in order of importance, but rather in what strikes me as most-evident to most-obscure:

1. Harmony Central Reviews

Obviously this resource is familiar to a great many of us. It is not, of course, a definitive source of information, but certainly some of the reviews can be helpful, in a number of respects.

It should be noted that a bizarre characteristic of the organization of these reviews can catch the unaware off guard. This is that (classical) guitar reviews will be found in two distinct silos: (a) the silo Acoustic Guitar | Acoustic Guitar; and (b) the silo Guitar | Guitar. Some classical guitars, not just Yamahas, have reviews under (a) and some under (b). A very few have reviews under both (a) and (b). So, it is a nuisance to poke around for a CG review that might, or might not, be there. If you are unaware of this problem, you may look for the instrument in question under one silo and not find it, only to conclude that there is no review of it on the HC site, even though there might be one in the other silo.

Therefore, when I am looking for a review of, say, a Yamaha model, I pull up HC's listing of all reviews of all Yamaha musical instrument products (known as a Brand listing). This list is long, but it spans all the HC silos of reviewed instruments and related musical products. For Yamahas, the URL for this list is http://reviews.harmony-central.com/revi ... and/Yamaha.

2. Yamaha America's Guitar Archives

This resource is also well-known. It is currently located at http://www.yamaha.com/apps/guitararchiv ... chive2.asp. Classical guitars can be looked up in the Acoustic Guitars subsection, two (2) at a time. As with other online resources, this archive's database is not comprehensive, but its coverage is pretty good. Moreover, the information is highly reliable. Each listing includes the following information:
  • Year(s) Sold
  • Original MSRP (US$)
  • Top
  • Back / Sides
  • Neck
  • Fingerboard
  • Bridge
  • Body Depth
  • Color(s)
  • Finish
  • Tuners
  • String Length
  • Nut Width
  • Notes
There is a non-obvious quirk about this archive, best illustrated by example. If I enter both GC7A and GC-7A, the archive's search engine will return information for the first model number entered, but not for the second, even though these are both recognized model designations for the same instrument. In other words, the archive lists classical guitars using their model numbers stripped of hyphens.

3. Yamaha Japan's Website

The practical gateway to Japanese information on older Yamaha CGs is the site map located at http://www.yamaha.co.jp/product/guitar/ ... index.html. Of course, if like me you do not read Japanese, you will have to run this through a translator, such as Google's (see http://translate.google.com). Once you have your translated version of the site map, you may wish to mouse over various graphic images to see the translated text with which they are annotated. In any case, just explore whatever seems of interest, and you may or may not hit upon some useful pages.

Thus far what I have come upon that is useful to me are:
  • - A page about the GC line that mainly repeats information to be found in printed and PDF catalogues; and
  • - Yamaha Japan's archive of discontinued classical guitars.
3a. One-page overview of the GC Grand Concert line

This is at http://www.yamaha.co.jp/product/guitar/ ... index.html. (Whopper has also pointed out this page.) Again, you will want to translate this from Japanese to English, French, German, etc. At present, the top of this page contains an 8-minute video of GC luthiers at work; it's good viewing, including for beefing up your Japanese listening skills. Note that the video may only be viewable via the original, untranslated page.

In addition, there is a wonderful guitar-ancestry chart on this page, which is shown here. The chart is of course Copyrighted by Yamaha.

Image

I hope someone on the forum can come up with translations for the Japanese parts of this GIF image.
Whooper wrote:In responce to GeoffB-san's referring, I will present equivalents below

スペイン伝統の製作技術 (top): Spanish traditional fabrication methods
シリーズ (left) : Series
音を参考 (right): Drawing upon sounds
ヤマハの研究と技術の蓄積 (bottom): Yamaha's amassment of Research and Technology

Hoping to be of your service I remain.
Whooper

3b. Yamaha Japan's archive of discontinued classical guitars

Yamaha Japan's archive, which is the analogue to Yamaha America's archive, can be an addictive research resource. You navigate through this archive, rather than enter a model number into a search widget. To navigate it, put the URL http://www.yamaha.co.jp/item/archive/ through your favorite translator. I have listed the parent archive URL, which includes a direct link to the Classical Guitars section, to satisfy the interests of others who may wish to research some other instrument catagories.

The archive has partial coverage for the following classical guitar model lines:
  • C
  • CG / CGX
  • CP
  • CS
  • FC
  • G
  • GC
  • GD
The information listed for individual guitars is similar to that found in the Yamaha America archive. Unfortunately, this archive also is not comprehensive, nor does it indicate which shop(s) made a particular model; neither does the Yamaha America archive.

4. Yamaha Serial Number Listings

Thus far I have found one source for looking up serial numbers of older Yamaha guitars. I cannot vouch for this source's accuracy or comprehensiveness. With that caveat, it is located at http://vintageguitarpro.com/serialyamaha.shtml.

In my case, I prefer consulting Yamaha directly when researching serial numbers. Support has always been responsive to my requests. They at times can pinpoint which shop an instrument came out of. When possible, I suggest attaching a photograph of the guitar's label.

5. Major Changes In The 2005-2006 Time Frame

It seems Yamaha shut down, or sold, its Custom Shop in 2005 or 2006. If you search for any Custom Shop model in the Yamaha America archive, such as the GC50 or the GC70, you will see the last year of sale listed as 2005. My efforts to locate English-language press about the Custom Shop have been fruitless. I am sure certain folks would like to know what has become of the shop and its extraordinary luthiers. I sure would.

In 2006, Yamaha shut down its outstanding Taiwan operation, Kaohsiung Yamaha. Some believe that only Japanese-built Yamaha CGs are worth looking at. I know different, as all four of my Yamahas are from the Kaohsiung Yamaha shop, and three of these are hand-crafted Grand Concerts. The press release for this shutdown is at http://www.global.yamaha.com/news/2006/20060920.html.

Personally, I find it sad that these two shops are no longer operated by Yamaha. The Music Craft shop, which makes the GC21, GC41, etc., remains in business.

6. Recommended Book
GuitarVlog wrote:I would add this book which I had reviewed at our local library: History Of Yamaha Guitars, ISBN 0634053264
I've previewed a few of its pages on the web, and this looks like a great reference. Thanks, GuitarVlog.

Et voilà! I hope some of you find this guide useful. Suggested corrections and/or additions to this post are most welcome.

Enjoy,

Bob Newby
Last edited by waikuentsui on Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheEvan
Posts: 216
Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:36 pm
Location: Baton Rouge

Re: Researching Older Yamaha Guitars - Including Grand Concerts

Post by TheEvan » Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:02 pm

Interesting. I used to have a lovely GC50 with the prettiest workmanship.

waikuentsui
Posts: 807
Joined: Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:23 pm
Location: Saskatchewan Canada

Re: Researching Older Yamaha Guitars - Including Grand Concerts

Post by waikuentsui » Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:49 pm

@Alan;

I just read the reviews of the book "The History of Yamaha guitars".
It appears the reviewers are not too impressed with the book.
They said the book is much like a Yamaha advertising catalog.
List of Yamaha guitars, list of famous players who played Yamaha;
but not too much into the history on making Yamaha guitars.
It will be a good book for the library as reference, but not a good read for classical guitar nuts like us.

waikuentsui

ashepps
Posts: 544
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:06 pm
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

Re: Researching Older Yamaha Guitars - Including Grand Concerts

Post by ashepps » Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:40 am

waikuentsui wrote:@Alan;

I just read the reviews of the book "The History of Yamaha guitars".
It appears the reviewers are not too impressed with the book.
They said the book is much like a Yamaha advertising catalog.
List of Yamaha guitars, list of famous players who played Yamaha;
but not too much into the history on making Yamaha guitars.
It will be a good book for the library as reference, but not a good read for classical guitar nuts like us.

waikuentsui
Thanks everyone, I suppose, one time or the other, I have seen all these links and one in particular, where you add your serial number never worked, but if I use just GC20D (caps don't matter) it does pop up, but does not give the scale length or the nut width (663mm and 53mm). I am waiting for my daughter, with some understanding of the Japanese language to give me some help with some of those sites.

And thanks to "waikuentsui" for the information on the book, that it is not worth the price for what it gives!

One thing I note is my serial number 1911 does not fit the usual category? Attached is a photo of the label. Once again, thanks all for the help. it seems that email I sent to Yamaha of Japan in 2001 was lucky as it does explain that the top is that rare pine top not just the usual spruce.

Alan
GC20D Serial, Date.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Alan Sheppard
1986 630mm Asturias JM-15 Spruce
1955 650mm Framus SL-32R
2015 650mm Yamaha SLG110N

ashepps
Posts: 544
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:06 pm
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

Re: Researching Older Yamaha Guitars - Including Grand Concerts

Post by ashepps » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:40 am

waikuentsui wrote:Alan and Leo;

The information I have is readily available in the internet.
http://www.yamaha.com/apps/guitararchiv ... chive2.asp
Below is a posting by our member, Bob Newby, a well informed expert in Yamaha.
I learned a lot from his posts, including the URL link.

As for the book, I heard about it but I don't have it. If you want to learn about Yamaha history, you can do a search on this forum.There are thousands of threads. You have to scan through the titles and look for relevant topics. waikuentsui
Bob Newby wrote:What follows is a brief guide to the Internet resources I have found most useful for researching older Yamaha classical guitars. These are not listed in order of importance, but rather in what strikes me as most-evident to most-obscure: 1. Harmony Central Reviews Obviously this resource is familiar to a great many of us. It is not, of course, a definitive source of information, but certainly some of the reviews can be helpful, in a number of respects.It should be noted that a bizarre characteristic of the organization of these reviews can catch the unaware off guard. This is that (classical) guitar reviews will be found in two distinct silos: (a) the silo Acoustic Guitar | Acoustic Guitar; and (b) the silo Guitar | Guitar. Some classical guitars, not just Yamahas, have reviews under (a) and some under (b). A very few have reviews under both (a) and (b). So, it is a nuisance to poke around for a CG review that might, or might not, be there. If you are unaware of this problem, you may look for the instrument in question under one silo and not find it, only to conclude that there is no review of it on the HC site, even though there might be one in the other silo. Therefore, when I am looking for a review of, say, a Yamaha model, I pull up HC's listing of all reviews of all Yamaha musical instrument products (known as a Brand listing). This list is long, but it spans all the HC silos of reviewed instruments and related musical products. For Yamahas, the URL for this list is http://reviews.harmony-central.com/revi ... and/Yamaha. 2. Yamaha America's Guitar Archives This resource is also well-known. It is currently located at http://www.yamaha.com/apps/guitararchiv ... chive2.asp. Classical guitars can be looked up in the Acoustic Guitars subsection, two (2) at a time. As with other online resources, this archive's database is not comprehensive, but its coverage is pretty good. Moreover, the information is highly reliable. Each listing includes the following information:
  • Year(s) Sold
  • Original MSRP (US$)
  • Top[/list
    • Back / Sides
    • Neck
    • Fingerboard
    • Bridge
    • Body Depth
    • Color(s)
    • Finish
    • Tuners[/list
      • String Length
      • Nut Width
      • Notes
      There is a non-obvious quirk about this archive, best illustrated by example. If I enter both GC7A and GC-7A, the archive's search engine will return information for the first model number entered, but not for the second, even though these are both recognized model designations for the same instrument. In other words, the archive lists classical guitars using their model numbers stripped of hyphens.3. Yamaha Japan's Website The practical gateway to Japanese information on older Yamaha CGs is the site map located at http://www.yamaha.co.jp/product/guitar/ ... index.html. Of course, if like me you do not read Japanese, you will have to run this through a translator, such as Google's (see http://translate.google.com). Once you have your translated version of the site map, you may wish to mouse over various graphic images to see the translated text with which they are annotated. In any case, just explore whatever seems of interest, and you may or may not hit upon some useful pages. Thus far what I have come upon that is useful to me are:
      • - A page about the GC line that mainly repeats information to be found in printed and PDF catalogues; and
      • - Yamaha Japan's archive of discontinued classical guitars.
      3a. One-page overview of the GC Grand Concert line This is at http://www.yamaha.co.jp/product/guitar/ ... index.html. (Whopper has also pointed out this page.) Again, you will want to translate this from Japanese to English, French, German, etc. At present, the top of this page contains an 8-minute video of GC luthiers at work; it's good viewing, including for beefing up your Japanese listening skills. Note that the video may only be viewable via the original, untranslated page.
      In addition, there is a wonderful guitar-ancestry chart on this page, which is shown here. The chart is of course Copyrighted by Yamaha.Image I hope someone on the forum can come up with translations for the Japanese parts of this GIF image.
      Whooper wrote:In responce to GeoffB-san's referring, I will present equivalents below
      スペイン伝統の製作技術 (top): Spanish traditional fabrication methods
      シリーズ (left) : Series
      音を参考 (right): Drawing upon sounds
      ヤマハの研究と技術の蓄積 (bottom): Yamaha's amassment of Research and Technology
      Hoping to be of your service I remain.
      Whooper
      3b. Yamaha Japan's archive of discontinued classical guitars Yamaha Japan's archive, which is the analogue to Yamaha America's archive, can be an addictive research resource. You navigate through this archive, rather than enter a model number into a search widget. To navigate it, put the URL http://www.yamaha.co.jp/item/archive/ through your favorite translator. I have listed the parent archive URL, which includes a direct link to the Classical Guitars section, to satisfy the interests of others who may wish to research some other instrument catagories. The archive has partial coverage for the following classical guitar model lines:
      • C
      • CG / CGX
      • CP
      • CS
      • FC
      • G[/list
        • GC
        • GD
        The information listed for individual guitars is similar to that found in the Yamaha America archive. Unfortunately, this archive also is not comprehensive, nor does it indicate which shop(s) made a particular model; neither does the Yamaha America archive. 4. Yamaha Serial Number Listings Thus far I have found one source for looking up serial numbers of older Yamaha guitars. I cannot vouch for this source's accuracy or comprehensiveness. With that caveat, it is located at http://vintageguitarpro.com/serialyamaha.shtml. In my case, I prefer consulting Yamaha directly when researching serial numbers. Support has always been responsive to my requests. They at times can pinpoint which shop an instrument came out of. When possible, I suggest attaching a photograph of the guitar's label. 5. Major Changes In The 2005-2006 Time Frame It seems Yamaha shut down, or sold, its Custom Shop in 2005 or 2006. If you search for any Custom Shop model in the Yamaha America archive, such as the GC50 or the GC70, you will see the last year of sale listed as 2005. My efforts to locate English-language press about the Custom Shop have been fruitless. I am sure certain folks would like to know what has become of the shop and its extraordinary luthiers. I sure would. In 2006, Yamaha shut down its outstanding Taiwan operation, Kaohsiung Yamaha. Some believe that only Japanese-built Yamaha CGs are worth looking at. I know different, as all four of my Yamahas are from the Kaohsiung Yamaha shop, and three of these are hand-crafted Grand Concerts. The press release for this shutdown is at http://www.global.yamaha.com/news/2006/20060920.html. Personally, I find it sad that these two shops are no longer operated by Yamaha. The Music Craft shop, which makes the GC21, GC41, etc., remains in business.6. Recommended Book
        GuitarVlog wrote:I would add this book which I had reviewed at our local library: History Of Yamaha Guitars, ISBN 0634053264
        I've previewed a few of its pages on the web, and this looks like a great reference. Thanks, GuitarVlog. Et voilà! I hope some of you find this guide useful. Suggested corrections and/or additions to this post are most welcome.Enjoy,Bob Newby
=====================================
Sorry for quoting everything, but Bob and Joe, Thanks for all the help. This looks and I am sure is great information but nothing is easy when I look at what has to be done to get a clear picture. I have previously looked at this post before, but for me it is difficult to decipher. I have tried a few links but hard to do and I don't know if it worth pursuing / do I need it. It does look like a lot of time was spent on this, I just wish it were much more simple, but I understand it is not.

Thanks again guys!

Alan
Alan Sheppard
1986 630mm Asturias JM-15 Spruce
1955 650mm Framus SL-32R
2015 650mm Yamaha SLG110N

Richie

Re: Researching Older Yamaha Guitars - Including Grand Concerts

Post by Richie » Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:40 pm

WP_20150304_12_26_46_Pro.jpg
Hi. I've been trying to find some information regarding a beautiful Yamaha GC-7 I was recently lucky enough to pick up. As you will be able to see on the label there seem to two dates: 1970 and then also a signature with another date of 1972. If anyone out there has any info at all it would be greatly appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

gnoekim

Re: Researching Older Yamaha Guitars - Including Grand Concerts

Post by gnoekim » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:14 pm

I have a c40 which is a practice instrument. Sound quality's just so so in comparison to my older (10+ years) Cordoba Model 40 although the later's only 50 bucks more expansive. The frets are quite difficult to hold/press (in comparison) and the guitar starts to buzz/make strange noises if I play louder. I don't think the frets are done properly since there are some sharp edges that make occasional cuts on my fingers..

While thinking of upgrading to a better instrument, I played for about 30-45 mins on a used CG70 (I think, not sure, it's a 2011 or 2012 batch), although the instrument has better volume and color to the notes, the 6th and 5th strings start buzzing around the 7th frets if I played rest strokes on them. It seems to be a flaw in build since I didn't use much strength. All in all I wasn't impressed, and passed on it. A Singaporean guitar teacher (Dedrick Koh) reviewed the yamaha guitars and seem to have noticed the same flaws as well:

http://www.dedrickkoh.com/2010/11/29/is ... -downhill/

Return to “Public Space”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Adrian Allan, Altophile, Archibal, Briant, CommonCrawl [Bot], hackedpineapple, OldPotter, Portland Bill and 9 guests