Local Classical Guitar and Lute Societies

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Steve Gorseinon-guitar

Re: local Guitar Societies

Postby Steve Gorseinon-guitar » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:57 am

Here in Swansea (South Wales, UK) we don't have a Classical Guitar Society as such, with members etc. There is a Swansea Classical Guitar Circle that meets in Sketty Community Centre run by Sylvia Barker (suburb of Swansea) every Wednesday evening and organises concerts and they have a website (http://webspace.webring.com/people/os/swanseaguitar/). There is also a Classical Guitar workshop every Tuesday evening in Gorseinon Institute (small town about 5 miles from Swansea) and that is free and has a website www.gorseinon-guitar.co.uk and you can pick up the link for Sketty Classical Guitar Circle on that site as well.

Like a lot places which are within 40 Miles of a Capital city (in this case Cardiff) everything tends towards the capital and Swansea has some of those disadvantages. Limited Arts funding obviously does not help either. There is a lot of interest in the Classical Guitar locally in Swansea and open-mic sesssions in pubs do occasionally feature it. So I don't know whether this counts really as a valid entry because they are more of a 'drop-in and keep dropping-in' rather than memberships etc. people are very committed though.
Steve

George Crocket

Re: Please tell us about your local Guitar Societies

Postby George Crocket » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:21 am

Hi Steve.

Welcome to the forum. Perhaps you could introduce yourself here so we can get to know you.
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

sleepyheadrooster

Postby sleepyheadrooster » Tue May 21, 2013 8:16 pm

While I am actually leaving Flagstaff soon for Portland, I want to mention/recommend the Grand Canyon Guitar Society in Flagstaff, Arizona USA. My friend Craig Yarbrough has done an outstanding job bringing world class guitarists to our small town. This year's series ended with an amazing performance by David Russell.

The GCGS has also engaged in some very successful educational activities. Workshops are often taught by the concert artists, and high school students from schools around the state have attended those workshops and performed for our audiences.

The GCGS website is http://www.canyonguitar.org. I did not see the GCGS listed in the catalog of societies at the beginning of this thread. Thanks!

Tarbaby (1953 - 2016)

Postby Tarbaby (1953 - 2016) » Tue May 21, 2013 8:33 pm

Thank you, Chuck. I've added the Grand Canyon Guitar Society to the master list. :)

Alan

EJReyes75

Postby EJReyes75 » Tue May 21, 2013 8:57 pm

Sorry if this was already posted somewhere but I searched and didn't see it listed - if it is not, can you please kindly add?

New York City Classical Guitar Society
New York, NY, USA

http://nyccgs.com/

They hold monthly meetings, usually held on the first Thursday of every month - if there isn't a guest speaker or master class being held, then it's usually an open mic opportunity for anybody that signs up. It is also where you would sign up for the NYC Guitar Orchestra for any that are interested. The details, schedule, location, etc are listed on the website.

Thank you

Tarbaby (1953 - 2016)

Postby Tarbaby (1953 - 2016) » Tue May 21, 2013 9:08 pm

Thank you, EJReyes. I've added the New York City Classical Guitar Society to the list. :merci:

Alan

sleepyheadrooster

Postby sleepyheadrooster » Wed May 22, 2013 6:40 pm

Tarbaby wrote:Thank you, Chuck. I've added the Grand Canyon Guitar Society to the master list. :)

Alan

Thanks so much!

Madplain

Postby Madplain » Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:47 pm

Im in Jakarta city of Indonesia exactly in petamburan place.
at petamburan place many people,worker,student, and others (me too) wants to learn classical guitar but there is no place (class) ,teacher, instructor and others can teach them . i hope generous peoples on classicalguitardelcamp.com can contribute at petamburan place and make the petamburan place is center of indonesian classical guitar association or societies..
wait for response

thank you,,
: )

Matthew Stidham

Postby Matthew Stidham » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:49 am

Is there anyone in the area North of Dallas, Tx that would be interested in starting a CG Society? The Dallas one is awesome but I'd like to bring some CG a bit further north.

Pete Manfred

Postby Pete Manfred » Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:45 am

I occasionally attend the Lauderdale Guitar Society which meets on the second Monday of most months, in Highgate, North London. Players of various abilities perform for each other, talk about works in progress and their musical interests and preferences. Very informal. After a couple of hours attendees, usually between 10 and 20, adjourn to the local pub.

Tarbaby (1953 - 2016)

Postby Tarbaby (1953 - 2016) » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:49 pm

Thank you, Pete. I've added the Lauderdale Guitar Society to the master list. :)

Alan

bear

Postby bear » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:44 pm

The Boston Classical Guitar Society has announced the 2013-14 Artist Series. Go to bostonguitar.org
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Guistina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

pogmoor

Postby pogmoor » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:07 pm

An update on the Three Counties Classical Guitar Club. This now meets at Marswoth Milennium Hall, Vicarage Road Marsworth, Tring Herts. The contact details remain the same.
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008) and Paul Fischer (1995)
Yamaha SLG 130NW silent classical guitar (2014)

Orkn3y

Postby Orkn3y » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:25 pm

Orkney is a very musical place, our local music shop has a very high turnover in instruments, but sadly as far as I am aware we have no guitar societies/clubs. The preferred mode of music is the violin/fiddle. But should I ever find one I will post it here and of course join.

kirill.ogorodnikov

Postby kirill.ogorodnikov » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:42 am

Estonian Guitar Society
Tallinn, Estonia
www.kitarriselts.ee
Main activities:
Tallinn International Youth Guitar Competition www.tallinnguitar.com
Festival Fiesta de la Guitarra

Return to “Public Space”