Local Classical Guitar and Lute Societies

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Nitsuga Uriarte
Posts: 42
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:39 pm
Location: Miami Florida

Re: Local Classical Guitar and Lute Societies

Post by Nitsuga Uriarte » Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:02 pm

Florida Guitar Foundation is great! Open mic nights every month, member hangouts with drinks and jam sessions/ performances. Wonderful concert season every year.

Floridaguitarfoundation.org
2010 Concepcion CD/IR
2000 GV Rubio Solista SP/IR
2012 Ramirez 4ne

User avatar
bear
Posts: 3626
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:55 pm
Location: Massachusetts

Re: Local Classical Guitar and Lute Societies

Post by bear » Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:17 pm

Boston Classical Guitar Society
Announcing the 2016-17 BCGS Artist Series

http://bostonguitar.org/
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Giustina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

User avatar
Stephen Anderson
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:43 am
Location: Bangor, Northern Ireland

Re: Local Classical Guitar and Lute Societies

Post by Stephen Anderson » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:22 pm

Classical Guitar Society of Northern Ireland
Belfast, Northern Ireland, UK
Website: http://www.cgsni.org/

(Additional contact details on the website)

The society hold regular meetings and performances. A great way to meet other local guitarists and play for each other - all levels.

User avatar
Feynman
Posts: 277
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:51 am
Location: Arizona, USA

Re: Local Classical Guitar and Lute Societies

Post by Feynman » Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:12 am

New and exciting...

Phoenix Guitar Society (Phoenix, Arizona)
http://www.phoenixguitarsociety.org/
-mitch

BellyDoc
Posts: 86
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:52 am
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Local Classical Guitar and Lute Societies

Post by BellyDoc » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:50 am

Feynman wrote:New and exciting...

Phoenix Guitar Society (Phoenix, Arizona)
http://www.phoenixguitarsociety.org/
Now that *is* interesting. Searching for something like this ^^^ is exactly why I joined here.

I was about to post a petulant tirade about how Tucson and Flagstaff both seem to have more going on.

Thanks! :merci:
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." -Sir Isaac Newton

Armin Hanika 56PF

User avatar
eadiaz
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:32 pm

Re: Please tell us about your local Guitar Societies

Post by eadiaz » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:52 pm

gitgeezer wrote:Guitar Atlanta
Atlanta, Georgia, USA
http://www.guitaratlanta.org
email: info#guitaratlanta.org (replace # with @ to email)

From Website:

"Atlanta's premier guitar organization. We are a non-profit 501(c) organization dedicated to the development and promotion of guitar in the Atlanta area."
http://www.guitaratlanta.org yields a 502 Bad Gateway error. http://guitaratlanta.com/ works, but the page seems out of date. Is Guitar Atlanta still active? Are there other guitar societies in the Atlanta area?
-------------
"I love the guitar for its harmony; it is my constant companion in all my travels." -- N. Paganini

gitgeezer
Posts: 2253
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:09 pm
Location: Southeastern U.S.

Re: Please tell us about your local Guitar Societies

Post by gitgeezer » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:25 pm

eadiaz wrote:
gitgeezer wrote:Guitar Atlanta
Atlanta, Georgia, USA
http://www.guitaratlanta.org
email: info#guitaratlanta.org (replace # with @ to email)

From Website:

"Atlanta's premier guitar organization. We are a non-profit 501(c) organization dedicated to the development and promotion of guitar in the Atlanta area."
http://www.guitaratlanta.org yields a 502 Bad Gateway error. http://guitaratlanta.com/ works, but the page seems out of date. Is Guitar Atlanta still active? Are there other guitar societies in the Atlanta area?
Unfortunately, Guitar Atlanta has disbanded. To find out what's going on in the Atlanta community, you might contact Eddie Minjarez, a guitar instructor at Guitar Decatur. I believe Eddie was the last president of Guitar Atlanta. The email address is:

info@guitardecatur.com

Swin
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:36 pm
Location: Georgia (USA)

Re: Please tell us about your local Guitar Societies

Post by Swin » Tue May 02, 2017 4:39 pm

gitgeezer wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:25 pm
eadiaz wrote:
gitgeezer wrote:Guitar Atlanta
Atlanta, Georgia, USA
http://www.guitaratlanta.org
email: info#guitaratlanta.org (replace # with @ to email)

From Website:

"Atlanta's premier guitar organization. We are a non-profit 501(c) organization dedicated to the development and promotion of guitar in the Atlanta area."
http://www.guitaratlanta.org yields a 502 Bad Gateway error. http://guitaratlanta.com/ works, but the page seems out of date. Is Guitar Atlanta still active? Are there other guitar societies in the Atlanta area?
Unfortunately, Guitar Atlanta has disbanded. To find out what's going on in the Atlanta community, you might contact Eddie Minjarez, a guitar instructor at Guitar Decatur. I believe Eddie was the last president of Guitar Atlanta. The email address is:

info@guitardecatur.com
There is the Atlanta Guitar Guild...

http://atlantaguitarorchestra.org

They just had a concert this past Saturday night. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to make it, even though I was planning on going, due to a family illness.

gitgeezer
Posts: 2253
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:09 pm
Location: Southeastern U.S.

Re: Please tell us about your local Guitar Societies

Post by gitgeezer » Wed May 03, 2017 3:23 pm

Swin wrote:
Tue May 02, 2017 4:39 pm
gitgeezer wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:25 pm
eadiaz wrote:
http://www.guitaratlanta.org yields a 502 Bad Gateway error. http://guitaratlanta.com/ works, but the page seems out of date. Is Guitar Atlanta still active? Are there other guitar societies in the Atlanta area?
Unfortunately, Guitar Atlanta has disbanded. To find out what's going on in the Atlanta community, you might contact Eddie Minjarez, a guitar instructor at Guitar Decatur. I believe Eddie was the last president of Guitar Atlanta. The email address is:

info@guitardecatur.com
There is the Atlanta Guitar Guild...

http://atlantaguitarorchestra.org

They just had a concert this past Saturday night. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to make it, even though I was planning on going, due to a family illness.
I see that Mary Akerman is associated with both Guild and Orchestra, as VP of the Guild and Director of the Orchestra. Anything that Mary Akerman is associated with is bound to be good.

Swin
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:36 pm
Location: Georgia (USA)

Re: Local Classical Guitar and Lute Societies

Post by Swin » Wed May 03, 2017 4:29 pm

Yes and you may know that she is head of the classical guitar program at Kennesaw State University which is close to where I live. I know she also gives lessons at Maple Street Guitar in Atlanta (where I bought my Cervantes)... I'd love to find out if she'll do private lessons by or at the college (since it's so much closer to me) once I have some additional free time. In the meantime, I try to catch her performances when I can.

gitgeezer
Posts: 2253
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:09 pm
Location: Southeastern U.S.

Re: Local Classical Guitar and Lute Societies

Post by gitgeezer » Fri May 05, 2017 1:04 am

It was at Maple Street Guitar that I first learned of her. I was thinking of asking her to take me on as a student, but decided I wasn't sufficiently advanced for her caliber of teaching, so I signed up with Eddie Minjarez instead.

Swin
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:36 pm
Location: Georgia (USA)

Re: Local Classical Guitar and Lute Societies

Post by Swin » Fri May 05, 2017 1:31 am

gitgeezer wrote:
Fri May 05, 2017 1:04 am
It was at Maple Street Guitar that I first learned of her. I was thinking of asking her to take me on as a student, but decided I wasn't sufficiently advanced for her caliber of teaching, so I signed up with Eddie Minjarez instead.
It hadn't occurred to me to consider if my playing level was advanced enough for her. Oh well... By the time I'm able to pursue it, I will be better than I am today (at least, I better be better!). The worst that could happen is to be told no. At least I could get a good reference from her for another teacher in the area, but she may be willing to take me on.

doralikesmath
Posts: 94
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:12 am
Location: Edinburgh, UK

Re: Local Classical Guitar and Lute Societies

Post by doralikesmath » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:55 pm

I'm wondering if there is any classical guitar society or club in Edinburgh, Scotland? The final year of the degree is stressfully coming and I'm trying to find a club to give myself a good reason to leave the house/office during this rainny summer time :D
Raimundo 148 Cedar - "Julia"
L. T. An Guitar C150 Spruce
Takamine G128 Spruce

User avatar
sxedio
Posts: 1174
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:18 pm
Location: UK / Cyprus

Re: Local Classical Guitar and Lute Societies

Post by sxedio » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:17 am

doralikesmath wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:55 pm
I'm wondering if there is any classical guitar society or club in Edinburgh, Scotland? The final year of the degree is stressfully coming and I'm trying to find a club to give myself a good reason to leave the house/office during this rainny summer time :D
I'm aware of the early guitar and lute society there, https://scottishluteandearlyguitarsocie ... press.com/ I'd be surprised if there isn't a 'non early' classical guitar meet up of some sort.
(Gr) (En) (very little Fr)

User avatar
pogmoor
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8808
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:55 am
Location: Oxfordshire, UK

Re: Please tell us about your local Guitar Societies

Post by pogmoor » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:26 am

Les Backshall wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:42 pm
North Bucks Guitar Club

Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, UK

http://www.nbgc.org.uk

Small friendly, informal club; meets monthly on Sunday evenings to play music together - ensemble mostly, plus hotspots for solos, duets etc...
Annual concert for friends and relatives in July.
New members and visitors always welcome.

Full details on website.

Les
The North Bucks Guitar Club has recently been renamed the Milton Keynes Guitar Society, but the web address and meeting details remain unchanged, http://www.nbgc.org.uk. Society meetings are held at Woburn Village Hall - usually on the third Sunday of the month - from 19:00 to 22:00. Full details for each meeting are posted on the news page of the website.

We generally get 12 -15 members attending each month and, as the website says:
We are a friendly, non-competitive, club for classical guitar players who enjoy making music together. Our meetings combine ensemble playing with ample opportunities for members to give short recitals to a friendly audience.

Repertoire
The music we play covers a wide range of styles and periods, much of it arranged specifically for guitar ensemble by club members.

Playing Standards
The club is designed to benefit players from about grade three onwards. The ability to sight-read is necessary to join in the ensemble pieces.
...and, of course, we welcome new members.
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Paul Fischer (1995) and Lester Backshall (2008)
Yamaha SLG 130NW silent classical guitar (2014), Ramirez Guitarra del Tiempo (2017)

Return to “Public Space”