What are you learning at the moment?

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
spen

What are you learning at the moment?

Post by spen » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:35 pm

In the same vein as the eternal what are you listening to and what are you eating(!) right now threads - what piece are you learning at the moment?

I've just started on Stanley Myers' Cavatina (a big cliche, but hey, it's a good tune). I've had the score for a couple of years but was put off by some of the stretching and baring involved but up to now it's going fine, still at the plinky plonky stage but getting a bit better each time.

John O

Re: What are you learning at the moment?

Post by John O » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:50 pm

I keep flitting among several pieces by Bach: Toccata and Fugue in D minor, Fugue from Violin Sonata No.2 and No.3, First Lute Suite Preludio, Ricercare a 3 from "A Musical Offering," and Contrapunctus I from "The Art of Fugue." I've been playing the Fugue from Violin Sonata No.1 for a long time and want to find another major Bach piece to replace it. I need to decide soon, as I waste/spend an awful lot of time going from one to another with precious little to show for it! The Preludio and Contrapunctus have the advantage of being shorter than the others, so they won't take as long to learn, yet the others are more harmonically interesting but much longer and generally more difficult to play. Decisions, decisions!

muirtan

Post by muirtan » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:18 pm

Hi I'm learning Sor study in C opus 6 number 8 and Dowland My lord Willoughby, his welcome home ( duet) with my teacher and Gaspar Sanz Canarios by myself.

Tubbers

Post by Tubbers » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:19 pm

Trying to learn a short Bach piece but my fingers feel like a drunken centipede. :lol:
Help!

Cary W

Post by Cary W » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:43 pm

Right now I am alternating between Julia Florida by Barrios, El Abejorro by Pujol, and op 28 "Marlborough" by Sor. The tricky part with El Abejorro is not the left hand but finding a smooth and relaxed right hand.
2008 Yamaha GC31C Indian/cedar D'Addario EJ46
1987 Yamaha GC-3 Indian/cedar D'Addario EJ45

fathillboy

Post by fathillboy » Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:22 am

So many fine works out there, so little time on earth.

I'm working on Carcassi's Op.60, #7. A Jubing Kristianto piece "Once Upon a Rainy Day". Gaspar Sanz' "Canarios", and Sveinn Eythorsson's "Fantasy #4".

Wished I'd started classical guitar YEARS ago.

sandy

Post by sandy » Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:07 am

I started playing the beautiful Cavatina last Sept, but it took me about 3 months to really master it and to memorize it. The worst measures were the 3rd and 5th, technically very difficult for me. There is a lot of barring in the upper frets, as well as quick movements from the upper frets to the lower ones. Also, the stretches are difficult for me because I have short fingers. My advice would be to memorize it, something not demanding because it's a piece that is never boring to play. I try to play it a few times every day.

Right now, I'm working on some pieces by our founder Delcamp which are not too difficult to play, but are incredibly beautiful and not long. I find them very accessible for my stage, and also very satisfying for modern guitar. I love his melodies, harmonies and rhythms. I just started working on Viviane, very slowly of course, but feeling a lot of expression in it.

anacrusis

Post by anacrusis » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:35 am

I'm currently working on I Giardini del Sogno, composed by Karl-Wieland Kurz. It's nine mutations on a 13th century madrigal, and one of my favorite all time pieces.

It's going really good so far, but I admit I'm pretty frightened by a couple of the mutations! hahaha
:D

I'm also working on Francis Kleynjans' Arabesque here and there, I've finished exactly half of it so far. It's an easier piece I play around with whenever I need a break from I Giardini.

Pitchman

Post by Pitchman » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:04 am

I am learning "Our Great Savior" by Rowland Prichard from Parkening's "Sacred Music for the Guitar." I wanted to learn something to play in Church someday.

Leonie Kaye

Post by Leonie Kaye » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:17 am

I am learning a waltz by Ferrer - his music is very easy on the ear - and a study by Brian Sexton - from John Mills Tutor book - and loving both pieces

Happy Playing Lee

LVR

Post by LVR » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:51 pm

Learning: Campo by Abel Carlevaro
Polishing: Microestudios 1-10 by, you guessed it, Carlevaro.
Resurrecting: Scherzino and Rondo and Evocacion by the same composer.
Every time I travel for a few weeks, I feel like I lose a few months worth of work.
The basic thing about playing the guitar is the pleasure you get from it. There's nothing wrong with pleasure is there?
Julian Bream

Happyguitarist

Post by Happyguitarist » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:16 pm

I am working on Per-Olov Kindgren's - After Silence - one measure at a time is being mastered, slow but sure.

Happy :casque:

kes

Post by kes » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:39 pm

Ponce's Sonata III
Henze - Royal Winter Music - Bottom's Dream

both a bar at a time, at a frustratingly slow pace, leaving no time for anything else!

guitarra

Post by guitarra » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:55 pm

I'm learning Malaguena. It's short and sweet.

marta150310

Post by marta150310 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:05 pm

I'm working on this pieces:
Etudde n. 24 Toccata - Angelo Gilardino
Etude n. 19 Jondo - Angelo Gilardino
Sonatina Meridional - M.M. Ponce
En los trigales - J. Rodrigo

and also I play Etude 11 by H. Villa - Lobos and Una limosna por el amor de Dios by Barrios.

Return to “Public Space”