What are you learning at the moment?

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Archibal

Re: What are you learning at the moment?

Post by Archibal » Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:54 pm

andreas777 wrote:At the moment I memorize the three Barrios pieces Danza Paraguay, Maxixe and Julia Florida. I already memorized La Catedral, Una Limosna Por el Amor de Dios and Preludio en Do menor, and my goal is to memorize all Barrios pieces from the book "selected works" until mid of the year (including Choro da Saudade and the two Vals op 8 ).
Wooow....that sounds ambitious. Wish you all luck with all the (nice) pieces ....impressive....and btw I’m still struggling with La Catedral Prelude since 2 year back :chaud:

andreas777

Post by andreas777 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:27 pm

Archibal wrote:Wooow....that sounds ambitious. Wish you all luck with all the (nice) pieces ....impressive....and btw I’m still struggling with La Catedral Prelude since 2 year back :chaud:
Thank you. To learn and then to memorize a piece was never a problem for me. I use my own "special" method to memorize pieces that makes it quite simple (I think I described this method already somewhere in the forum). The hardest part for me is the phase after I memorized a piece when I try to improve my performance, that means, I try to play all parts fluently, get rid of any inaccuracies, play every single note with the correct accentuation and volume, increase the speed, and finally I add my personal interpretation. With many pieces I still struggle to reach a good performance level.
Happiness is when what you think what you say and what you do are in harmony.

Jorge Oliveira

Post by Jorge Oliveira » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:42 pm

andreas777 wrote: Thank you. To learn and then to memorize a piece was never a problem for me. I use my own "special" method to memorize pieces that makes it quite simple (I think I described this method already somewhere in the forum)...
I only joined the Forum end of previous year so I did not read the post where you explained your "special" method to memorize pieces. Would you dig up for me? I would be most grateful :D
1972 - Kuniharu Nobe #8, 658/51, Spr, RW B&S, Tokio, JPN
1979 - Ryoji Matsuoka No.40, 650/51, Ced, RW B&S, JPN
1987 - Aria A558, 650/51, Ced, lam RW B&S, Nagoya, JPN
2014 - Hermanos Camps Master Nº 3, 650/52, CAN Ced, MDG RW B&S, ESP

andreas777

Post by andreas777 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:24 pm

Jorge Oliveira wrote:
andreas777 wrote: Thank you. To learn and then to memorize a piece was never a problem for me. I use my own "special" method to memorize pieces that makes it quite simple (I think I described this method already somewhere in the forum)...
I only joined the Forum end of previous year so I did not read the post where you explained your "special" method to memorize pieces. Would you dig up for me? I would be most grateful :D
Sure, here are the links to my 2 posts:
http://classicalguitardelcamp.com/viewt ... 20&start=3
http://classicalguitardelcamp.com/viewt ... 0&start=10

I think everyone has its own approach and what seems to be the right learning and memorizing method for me might not work for someone else.

The key elements are:
* First I listen to a recording so I'm are aware of the character of a piece (including the correct speed).
* I fully specify the LH and RH fingering of a piece. By using exactly the same fingering every time it will be easier to memorize it later on.
* I use a "greedy approach" and learn the complete piece at once. I know there are forum members who prefer to split a piece in sections and learn it bar by bar, but imho the progress is better when you learn the complete piece. (This doesn't mean I always play the piece from the beginning to the end.)
* I play and learn several pieces in parallel by sight reading.
(so far nothing really special)
* When I feel comfortable with the performance of one piece, then I memorize it in one single day! (Like "Julia Florida" that I memorized today.)
- I don't memorize the notes, at least not during this single day, but I memorize some logical elements of the piece and mainly the finger positions and movements on the fret board. The goal is to create a movie of finger movements and sequences in my head with the help of visualization techniques.
- An important aspect of this process is to make and accept errors. When I play the piece until I don't remember how to continue, but I remember how it should sound, then this will generate some curiosity and anger: "I have played this part 1000 times before and now I have no idea how to play it." :evil: Then I look at the sheet in front of me and play it again. The curiosity and anger helps me to store the missing part in my memory. (You should use a similar approach when teaching children. If they should remember what you teach them, then it's a good idea to make them curious about the topic and generate questions before you deliver the answers.)
* The next days I still concentrate on the memorized piece and I try to move it from short-term memory to long-term memory.
Happiness is when what you think what you say and what you do are in harmony.

Jorge Oliveira

Post by Jorge Oliveira » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:59 pm

Many thanks, andreaas 777, for you thorough explanation, I'll certainly try to see if I can use your method. Some things I do which resemble what you do. I also try to have more than one piece "in the works" at any time; I try to listen first to the piece; I do not learn a measure at a time, but instead, a whole section at a time; I also do not memorize the notes (I'm not good at sight reading at all) and I also memorize, not the notes, but the position of the fingers in LH and RH and, most important, the corresponding sound. When I know which sound must come out at a given time, my fingers just do the rest automatically. When that happens, when I have the piece "in my fingers" then, for all intents and purposes, it is memorized. Once mmorized, I rarely go back to the score again, unless someone calls my attention to a mistake I'm making (it happens a lot) or when I want to make sure I'm respecting the tempo, rest notes, etc...

Thanks again, your explanations, they were quite helpful. I still have to read your two other posts on this subject (your links above), which I'll do today or tomorrow.

Best regards,

Jorge
Last edited by Jorge Oliveira on Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pje53

Post by Pje53 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:03 pm

Antonio Lauro Danza Negra

FMM

Post by FMM » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:20 am

Neil Gow's Lament for His Second Wife

eno

Post by eno » Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:38 pm

andreas777, you are just blessed with a good memory. For most of us it takes longer to memorize and splitting into shorter pieces usually works better.

I'm learning Billy Arcila "Simbelmynë", very beautiful and playful piece.
Paulino Bernabe 'India' 2001
Masaru Kohno No.6 1967
Rokutaro Nakade 1967, 1962

Brooke Martin

Post by Brooke Martin » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:29 pm

Thanks to a post on this forum, I'm learning "Vincent," by Don McLean, with an arrangement by Muriel Anderson. I found the arrangement at Anderson's site. It's lovely. :) http://murielanderson.com/music/sheet-music/

zupfgeiger

Post by zupfgeiger » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:24 am

Last Sunday I had a lesson with my teacher Wulfin Lieske in Cologne, exclusively dedicated to John Dowland. Two hours of intensive playing and learning. On the programme were Queen Elisabeth her Gaillard, Lady Hundson's Puffe and the Frog Gaillard. I thought I was prepared properly enough to impress my teacher....Well, there is always room for improvement. He made remarks like: Don't play it in the romantic Segovia style, play it harsher, like a lute player, focus more on the treble line, don't try to impress with speed, play the sixteenths clearer, you are rushing again, play with more care for the details" and similar comments. And his heavy Diane Poulton edition on his knees was intimidating as well. But before I could get a bit disappointed about his severe Dowland teaching regime the lesson ended with a positive comment: "You did well with Dowland, and you produce a marvelous tone with your Tacchi." That made my day. :D
The secret of getting ahead is getting started (Mark Twain)

Tobias Braun, Santos copy, spruce/yew, 2017
Andrea Tacchi, Enrique Garcia model, Spruce/BRAZ, 2016
Giovanni Tacchi, Daniel Friederich copy, cedar/EIR, 2017

unicornio

Post by unicornio » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:00 am

Cancao Triste Edson Lopes
cant play it right through without mistakes, just learning to read. Beautiful piece for slow feel and expression, few little hidden things in the piece to improve technique. Trying to focus on the right hand and improve ima stuff. Enjoying this piece lots.

JohnB

Post by JohnB » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:57 am

zupfgeiger wrote:Last Sunday I had a lesson with my teacher Wulfin Lieske in Cologne, exclusively dedicated to John Dowland. Two hours of intensive playing and learning. On the programme were Queen Elisabeth her Gaillard, Lady Hundson's Puffe and the Frog Gaillard. I thought I was prepared properly enough to impress my teacher....Well, there is always room for improvement. He made remarks like: Don't play it in the romantic Segovia style, play it harsher, like a lute player, focus more on the treble line, don't try to impress with speed, play the sixteenths clearer, you are rushing again, play with more care for the details" and similar comments. And his heavy Diane Poulton edition on his knees was intimidating as well. But before I could get a bit disappointed about his severe Dowland teaching regime the lesson ended with a positive comment: "You did well with Dowland, and you produce a marvelous tone with your Tacchi." That made my day. :D
That very much reminds me of the lessons I had with my teacher back in the late 60s/early 70s. I would go thinking I was playing the piece pretty well (the arrogance of youth) and then my teacher would go through it with me ....

I felt drained at the end of each lesson, but I found them invaluable.
Hermanos Conde 1968, Stephen Frith 2007 "Guijoso"

Archibal

Post by Archibal » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:22 pm

Try to play JULIAN ARCAS "BOLERO " as CARLES TREPAT does it....nice little piece! Trepat probably the "best classical guitarist in the world" !!!!

Jorge Oliveira

Post by Jorge Oliveira » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:11 pm

Fernando Sor - Opus 60, nrs. 7 and 10.

tubeman

Post by tubeman » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:58 pm

After two years away from the guitar, I'm relearning these:
1) Bach: Fugue from BWV 1001
2) Barrios: La Catedral
3) Koshkin: The Fall of Birds

They are coming back rather quickly.

New pieces:
1) Domeniconi Chaconne
2) Oliva: Sonata de la Muerte last movement

The Domeniconi is a beast! Most of it is much harder than Bach's, after which it is modeled. The scale sections fall under the fingers a little better and are mostly slurred, so that helps, but a lot of the chords require large stretches, and the big arpeggio section is just brutal! Bach's is all 32nd note quadruplets, where Domeniconi uses a lot of sextuplets. Having to squeeze in two additional notes per beat makes a lot of demands on the right hand.
Randy Angella 2009 sp/Br (for sale)

Return to “Public Space”