What are you learning at the moment?

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Thushara

Re: What are you learning at the moment?

Post by Thushara » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:02 pm

These days I'm busy with Trinity Diploma exam so I'm learning Gavotte 995,Alhambra,Capricho Arabe,Dengoso,Aconquija,Theme and Variation.I like these collection of pieces intact I'm enjoying lot😊

niasla

Post by niasla » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:19 am

Villa Lobos Prelude 1
Villa Lobos Etude 1
JS Bach BWV 999 Prelude
Jean-Luc Joie Alma 2011

andreas777

Post by andreas777 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:20 pm

Today is 'Bolero day':
I practice (the John Zaradin version of) Solamente Una Vez, I read a novel about a Cuban Bolero singer, and this evening I will enjoy the Jazz and Latin Night concert with Claudia Carbo (vocal) and Felix Heidemann (guitar) here in Stuttgart :D
EDIT:
I just came back from the concert, and one of the pieces they performed this evening was....Solamente Una Vez, an impressive version with Claudia Carbo singing and Felix playing his classical guitar.
21 classical guitars, soon 22 :-D, 1 digital piano - no TV, no radio

Sodaross

Post by Sodaross » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:48 am

Mysterious Barricades by Couperin, Parkening arrangement. I absolutely love this piece. I'm just starting up again after a 20 year guitar layoff and while I am spending a lot of time on basics and simpler pieces I couldn't help but start to relearn this piece that I could once play reasonably acceptable.

larryguitar

Post by larryguitar » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:15 am

Sodaross wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:48 am
Mysterious Barricades by Couperin, Parkening arrangement. I absolutely love this piece. I'm just starting up again after a 20 year guitar layoff and while I am spending a lot of time on basics and simpler pieces I couldn't help but start to relearn this piece that I could once play reasonably acceptable.
Check out Kevin Gallagher's version of that piece:

https://youtu.be/UJ0V-_JhJ6o

Albert

Post by Albert » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:56 am

andreas777 wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:20 pm
Today is 'Bolero day':
I practice (the John Zaradin version of) Solamente Una Vez, I read a novel about a Cuban Bolero singer, and this evening I will enjoy the Jazz and Latin Night concert with Claudia Carbo (vocal) and Felix Heidemann (guitar) here in Stuttgart :D
EDIT:
I just came back from the concert, and one of the pieces they performed this evening was....Solamente Una Vez, an impressive version with Claudia Carbo singing and Felix playing his classical guitar.
What was the novel and did you enjoy it?

andreas777

Post by andreas777 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:46 am

Albert wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:56 am
andreas777 wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:20 pm
Today is 'Bolero day':
EDIT:
What was the novel and did you enjoy it?
The title is La neblina del ayer written by Leonardo Padura. I have not finished the book yet. I will be in Cuba for 3 weeks in October/November and this story about the ancient Havana is a good 'preparation' to this trip. The book is good (story and writing style) but won't make it to my top 10.
21 classical guitars, soon 22 :-D, 1 digital piano - no TV, no radio

Smudger5150

Post by Smudger5150 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:17 pm

Too many pieces!! But learning to play from sheet music rather than from memory. I'm leaving memorisation for when I'm performing 'favourites' for others.
Currently juggling Greensleeves and Scarborough fair for my wife (pretty much ok now), lua_branca by Chiquinha Gonzaga (interesting life...), Costa del Grimsby by R Hume (?), Various etudes by Mertz, Time Remembered by Bill Evans, La Gauchita by M Rodrigouez Arenas, Lauro's El Negrito, and, for grade 6, still Brouwer's Un dia .. and Tarrega's Sueno (but my tremolo is still in the R&D stage!).
Phew!
"Music washes away the dust of every day life." Art Blakey

"If I don’t practice for a day, I know it. If I don’t practice for two days, the critics know it. And if I don’t practice for three days, the public knows it." Louis Armstrong

Conquestadore

Post by Conquestadore » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:43 pm

I'm currently studying Lagrima, having a really hard time of it but the piece is beautiful enough to keep plodding through anyway.

fast eddie

Post by fast eddie » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:32 am

"DaDaLaDa"
A ragtime piece from "The Art of Ragtime Guitar", a book I bought in the 1970's. This past week I finished memorizing "Ragtime Ramble" from the same book, which took me about 2 months. These two pieces are about 3-4 pages each. Also recently finished "Greensleeves" and two 16th very short century pieces. I remember my teacher in the mid 1970's had me memorize every piece he assigned. He did not want me to be distracted by the notes on the pages.

I have not played in 40 years and just began began this past summer. So I had to start from zero. It hasn't always been pretty, but I am staying off the streets at night
Fast Eddie
Cordoba C 10 Cedar
1974 Hernandis

Return to “Public Space”