How to play copyrighted music on the forum

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Bill B

Re: How to play copyrighted music on the forum

Postby Bill B » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:17 pm

James Lister wrote:
byronz wrote:Everybody shares information, it's a common agreement. Personally I believe it's time that all art and music were published for free, provided that the person using it states his source ie. agknowledges the autor, doesn't modify the integrity of the content in any way, and of course doesn't then sell the material to others for his own profit.

There was an interesting thread recently on this site asking why so many guitarists just play other peoples work, where in the past (before Segovia) performers were also often composers.
This would seem likely to further distance many players from the desire to compose.
2013 Angel Benito Aguado
2005 Ramirez R-2

robinfw

Postby robinfw » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:35 am

Hello

I have a copy of Prelude Bach Cello Suite Number 3. by Konrad Ragossnig published by Ricordi 1973.
I would like to contact them in this matter and was wondering if there might be some sort of form letter I could use as I am not sure how to word such a request.
Appreciate any help. Thanks

sobonick

Postby sobonick » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:42 am

It´s very encouraging that copyriight holders give their permissions.

Ted O'Farrell

Postby Ted O'Farrell » Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:59 am

Awesome information!

Ted
Hector Marrero 2001
"A Good Cup of Coffee"

"Lean your body forward slightly to support the guitar against your chest, for the poetry of the music should resound in your heart." Andres Segovia

Kimon

Postby Kimon » Thu May 01, 2014 1:35 am

Isn't it simpler to publish a list of composers who don't want their works performed in public? I'd find that a much more interesting list.

Also can someone explain to me how playing a composer's work on Delcamp is depriving an author or their estate of income? I'd have thought it might even encourage someone to order the sheet music if they heard it.

I've often ordered sheet music based on a YouTube rendition of a piece. It's a strange composer who doesn't recognise the Internet as a way to get their music to a wide audience.

Neumsky

Postby Neumsky » Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:42 pm

GeoffB wrote:As we all know, recordings of music which is still under copyright cannot normally by uploaded on the forum. However, a number of enterprising members have managed to obtain permission from the necessary copyright holders in order to play pieces here which would normally be excluded.

You can see a list here, showing who has given permission. Sometimes that permission is given for an individual member only, and sometimes extended to all forum members. Sometimes it covers particular works, and sometimes it covers all works of a composer.

There must be many more composers who would be prepared to allow their compositions to be played on the forum but have never been asked, and we encourage members to consider doing so.

Any member can ask a composer (in writing or by email) for permission to publish here a recording of one, several, or all of his works. A composer might give such permission to a single member or perhaps to all members of the Delcamp forums, so it might be useful to establish this too. By securing permission you could be doing a great service to the other forum members.

In the case of a published edition, you would need to get the publisher's permission too, and for an arrangement you would also need the arranger's permission.

Any member who obtains the necessary permissions should send a copy to M. Delcamp or to any moderator and wait for an acknowledgement before uploading the recording on the forum. Email exchanges giving permission may be copied and pasted (including Sender and Addressee details) into a private message for forwarding. Written letters will need to be scanned and sent digitally.

Thank you,

Geoff

Stupid question...why are they posted at all?

L. D. Hunter

Postby L. D. Hunter » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:19 pm

Thanks for all the info I needed it

Ron

Postby Ron » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:56 pm

Is it legal to share personal arrangements of copyrighted songs? Does this forum have such a topic group? I'm a beginner and have TABed a few simple arrangements and would appreciate any critique for improvements.

Tarbaby (1953 - 2016)

Postby Tarbaby (1953 - 2016) » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:01 pm

Ron wrote:Is it legal to share personal arrangements of copyrighted songs?

No, unless you have the copyright holder's permission. :desole:

Alan

John Daily

Postby John Daily » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:20 pm

Kimon wrote:Isn't it simpler to publish a list of composers who don't want their works performed in public? I'd find that a much more interesting list.

Also can someone explain to me how playing a composer's work on Delcamp is depriving an author or their estate of income? I'd have thought it might even encourage someone to order the sheet music if they heard it.

I've often ordered sheet music based on a YouTube rendition of a piece. It's a strange composer who doesn't recognise the Internet as a way to get their music to a wide audience.

Since this thread has been necro'ed already, I guess it's alright to respond to this now (if it's not, please accept my apologies, along with my promise to refrain in the future). I asked a composer friend of mine how he got royalties from the several international ensembles who perform his works and post those performances on YouTube. He said he didn't get royalties, but that it's accepted because it's exposure and drives sales of sheet music. That seems odd to me but, looking around YouTUbe, that does seem to be the case.

franks59

Postby franks59 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:11 am

Kimon wrote:Also can someone explain to me how playing a composer's work on Delcamp is depriving an author or their estate of income?

It's not about depriving anyone of income. It's about the law.

Copyright law in the US gives the copyright holder an absolute legal monopoly over the reproduction and distribution of the work in question. It's their reward for being creative.

The law mentions there may be exceptions for fair use and gives examples of what a court may take into account when deciding such, but it also specifically states that each and every claim of fair use must be adjudicated by a court. There is no ruling defining what fair use is in general, only whether or not a specific claim is in fact fair use.

Frank

dng

Postby dng » Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:50 pm

is it correct to assume that once you buy a partition you have the right to play it wherever you want to any audience? - without further authorisation from the composer or the publishing house?

of course you don't have the right to make copy a give it others...

thanks
"Nothing is more beautiful than a guitar, save perhaps two.”
-Frederic Chopin

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Postby GeoffB » Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:29 pm

You can play it in private, but public performances require extra fees to be paid. These are usually collected by performance rights companies such as ASCAP, who redistribute them to the copyright holders. If you play in a public venue, the fees are usually taken care of by the management of that venue in the form of a blanket licence, but if you're not in a licensed venue then you are liable for them. Others on this forum know much more about it than I do. If you search the forum on "ASCAP" (as an example), you'll call up a number of relevant posts, such as this one from JQ.

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

delayedMusician

Postby delayedMusician » Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:25 pm

Very interesting, Geoff. I didn't know anyone could simply ask composers. I even learned a cool Maximo Pujol piece last week that I will certainly post. Cheers :)

delayedMusician

Postby delayedMusician » Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:29 pm

byronz wrote:Personally I believe it's time that all art and music were published for free, provided that the person using it states his source ie. agknowledges the autor, doesn't modify the integrity of the content in any way, and of course doesn't then sell the material to others for his own profit.

oh my . Glad that your childish and fancy utopia didn't become reality, otherwise every real musician who's not a hobbist and doesn't play music for a pastime, would have serious problems in paying the bills. More than they already do.

Seriously, hope you never run for office, you watch too many movies. Musicians who practice and work everyday have a right to make at least a minimal living. There's already TOO much free stuff around. Free masterclasses, free videos, free lessons, free scores, free audio. And yet you are greedy for more.

Return to “Public Space”