FAQs, help files, and where to find things on the forum

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

FAQs, help files, and where to find things on the forum

Postby GeoffB » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:37 am

HELP FILES

A number of guides are available to help members to use the forum. Some can be found under the "Forum Help Guides" subforum. You can see a link to this subforum at the bottom of the first panel on the main forum page, or you can click on the title of that panel "How to Participate in the Delcamp Classical Guitar Forum" and then on "Forum Help Guides."

Currently they include:

Compendium of Forum Knowledge - a collection of answers compiled by members to questions about using the forum, such as what the various icons mean, how to navigate the forum, search for things, post messages and attachments, send private messages, change your email address or avatar, use the other language forums, etc.

Instructions for titling posts with scores, mp3s or videos - instructions on the standard format which must be used for the titles of topics in the "Our Scores" and "Our recordings" forums, to ensure they are correctly indexed.

Level tags for scores and recordings - an explanation of the level tags, such as D01, D02, etc., seen in the titles of some of the above topics.

Tapatalk Support - information on the Tapatalk app which enables the forum to be accessed from iPhones and similar devices. [Note: Tapatalk is no longer supported].

In addition to these you'll find help in a number of other places:

You can see an FAQ icon at the top right of the forum pages, to the left of the Members icon, leading to a collection of answers to frequently asked questions. Please note that this is a generic list that comes with the forum software (phpBB) and is not specific to this particular forum. You may find useful information there about using this type of forum, but some items may not be relevant to us.

There is a useful Frequently Asked Questions about Classical Guitars topic in the Luthiers forum, compiled by one of our members.

The Rules and procedures for participation in the forum are essential (if lengthy) reading for all members. They are available from the link of the same name within the first panel on the main forum page, or by clicking on the title of that section, and then clicking on "Please Read This Section First". As well as setting out rules to be observed here, they give useful information on what types and sizes of files can be attached, how to embed Youtube videos, etc., etc.

All new members should read the New member greeting page, which provides a distilled version of what they need to know about posting requirements, the most important rules to be aware of, how usergroups work, and useful links.

If you still can't find the answer to your question, you can ask any moderator.

WHERE TO POST AND WHERE TO LOOK FOR VARIOUS TOPICS

Knowing where to post a message or where to find topics on particular subjects is not always easy. Here is a rough guide:

Most forums and subforums have a brief description below their title. In the case of subforums, you will need to click on the parent forum in order to see the subforum's description. In most cases it is clear from the title or the description what a forum or subforum is used for, but a few will benefit from further clarification.

RECORDINGS

The various "Our Recordings..." forums are for uploading recordings of pieces played or composed by you.

Any piece posted there should be one of the following:
  • Your own composition;
  • or in the public domain (i.e. the composer and any arranger has been dead for at least 70 years);
  • or one where permission for performance has been granted in this list.
If you wish to upload a copyrighted piece not covered in that list, you need to obtain permission and forward it to a moderator before attempting to post. See here for further information.

Similarly if you are the composer and someone else is playing in the recording, you need to demonstrate in advance that you have their permission to upload the recording here.

If you are neither the composer nor the player, and the recording on Youtube, you can post instead in Our Favourite Websites, observing the title format given in the description for that section (which you can see displayed on this page), and not linking to any copyrighted recordings.

Note that the "Our recordings..." forums are divided into various subforums for different periods, and for a number of individual composers, and that there is a specific subforum for compositions of forum members. If in doubt about which period to choose for a particular composer, try searching for other recordings by the same composer and note where they are posted.

Titles of topics in these forums should be in the correct format, as described here, to ensure they are correctly indexed.

Recordings should be performed on a classical guitar, lute, or related instrument. Recordings made with steel strung guitars are not allowed except in the Cafe.

Replies posted on topics in the "Our recordings..." forums should, in the first instance, be a comment on the recording, as a matter of good netiquette. Replies which merely ask about the piece or link to other versions without reference to the original poster's recording may be regarded as discourteous.

SCORES and TABS

The Our scores for classical guitar forum is for members' own compositions or their arrangements of pieces which are in the public domain. It is not for reposting arrangements which have been found elsewhere on the internet.

Titles of topics in this forum should be in the correct format, as described here, to ensure they are correctly indexed.

The Our tablatures for classical guitar forum is for members' own compositions or arrangements of public domain works, in tablature but accompanied by a version in standard notation. It is not for reposting tabs which have been found elsewhere on the internet.

The Scores for classical guitar forum and its subforums house a large collection of scores of public domain pieces edited and typeset by Jean-François Delcamp. They are graded by difficulty level, each level corresponding approximately to one year of music school. Access to the pdfs in this section is dependent on a member's usergroup (as described here).

Any errors spotted in these scores can be reported in the appropriate topic here, depending on the level of the score. Notice, however, that differences of opinion over appropriate fingerings should generally not be reported.

SEARCHING FOR MUSIC

If you are looking for a particular piece of music on the forum, you can try using the guide here.

If you are looking for something that isn't on the forum, you can ask in the Search for classical guitar sheet music section. Please note that if a piece is copyrighted, you should not ask for nor offer to supply a copy. You should only discuss where the piece may be bought.

The reference topics at the top of that section contain links to a number of public domain collections on other sites.

If you are not asking about specific pieces but only for general suggestions of pieces to play in a particular genre, you should use Public Space.

TECHNIQUE, THEORY, ETC.

Discussion of most issues connected with playing the classical guitar takes place in Classical guitar classes.
The subforum Classical Guitar technique is for the narrower field of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory (though inevitably there is some overlap), and there is also a specific subforum for Use of nails in playing the classical guitar.

Discussion of hand injuries, etc., should be posted in Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists.

The Reference Library is for posting significant items which will be useful for future reference, and ideally should be kept uncluttered. It is not for asking questions.

SALES

No items may be offered for sale on the forum, with the exception of classical guitars and related instruments, which may be offered in the Classical Guitar for Sale subforum in accordance with the conditions laid down there.

When a guitar has been sold or withdrawn from sale, please inform any moderator, so that the topic can be moved to the Archives of past "Classical Guitars for Sale" section. This leaves the details available for other members researching similar guitars, while making it clear that these particular ones are no longer for sale.

ADVICE ON BUYING A GUITAR

Notice that there is a specific section for this here.

INTRODUCING OR PROMOTING YOURSELF

It is helpful if all new members tell us a little about themselves in the Introduce yourself section. This does not need to be detailed, if you are wary of divulging too much, but if can help other members to get a feel for the person they will be talking to, including perhaps what part of the world you are living in, your level of experience with the guitar, your particular interests, etc. There are some ideas here for things to say.

Members who are professionals should read the relevant rules and conditions before attempting to promote their activities on the forum. There is a Members' Announcements section which is the only place where links to commercial websites (those where online selling takes place) may be posted. Please see the last but one paragraph in this section of the rules and also the whole of this section for more information.

CONCERTS, WORKSHOPS, COMPETITIONS AND CONVENTIONS

Announcements of forthcoming concerts, competitions and other events in countries other than the USA should be made in the forum Classical Guitar Concerts, Competitions and Conventions.
There is a separate subforum for events in the USA here: Classical Guitar Concerts U.S.A..
Periodically, posts related to events that have already taken place are moved to an archive here.

Please ensure that the titles are in the correct format as specified in red at the top of those forums. This enables events to be sorted in date order by choosing the options "All topics", "Subject" and "Ascending" from the drop-down menus at the bottom of the page.

These forums are only for announcements. Reviews or queries about other concerts should be posted in Public Space.

GENERAL DISCUSSIONS

Discussion of any other subjects concerning the classical guitar that don't fit into any of the sections mentioned above, or into the other sections whose use is self evident, can be posted in Public Space.

Please note that topics not relating to the classical guitar should not be posted there. So, for instance, discussions of electric or silent guitars do not belong there.

Topics not related to the classical guitar may be posted in the Café.

IF IN DOUBT...

... just send a PM to any moderator and ask!

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

AsturiasFan

Re: FAQs, help files, and where to find things on the forum

Postby AsturiasFan » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:13 pm

In personal messaging (PM) what's the difference between the outbox and sent messages? I submitted a PM and it went to the outbox, but wasn't listed under sent messages. Does that mean it wasn't sent despite the fact that I hit the submit button?

P.S. I tried to delete this post and move it to the appropriate help sub forum, but posts can't be deleted in this thread.

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Postby GeoffB » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:36 pm

Any messages you send will stay in the Outbox until the addressee has opened them, and then they move to Sent Messsages. It's a handy way of knowing whether your message has been read yet. And while they are in the outbox, you can still edit them or delete them. Useful if you have second thoughts, and better than email in that respect!

There isn't any particular reason why you shouldn't be able to delete your post in this thread, but I suspect it will be part of the more general problem described here.

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

drj

Postby drj » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:31 pm

Hi,
There are lots of files, etc., but what I am most impressed with is that when I was a bit (OK, a LOT) confused, I posted a request and a quick and friendly reply helped me through my difficulty. :merci:

This is a great place to "hang out". Hope I am able to contribute in the future.

Pete

Bob Johansson

Postby Bob Johansson » Sat Oct 31, 2015 4:58 pm

Thanks Geoff, very helpful. Was not able to access D04 level yet because I do not have the required number of posts - yet!

:bye:
Bob J.

wsuemnick

Postby wsuemnick » Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:34 am

Hi admins or moderators. Where i can add my Location? In the profile area appaers only Occupation. If i add here it doesn't appears in a post.

thank you.

have a nice day

wolfgang
Hi, i'm wolfgang. i'm a guitarist from Stuttgart, germany. I love to play the guitar.

wsuemnick

Postby wsuemnick » Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:03 am

sorry i'm blind, found it
Hi, i'm wolfgang. i'm a guitarist from Stuttgart, germany. I love to play the guitar.

Jack Douglas

Postby Jack Douglas » Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:47 pm

Hi Geoff,
How do I copy a section of someone's comments and paste it in my reply (with a light background color) to the comment?
Thanks,
Jack
The Smell of Rosewood!!

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Postby GeoffB » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:07 am

Hi Jack,

There are some illustrated instructions here which should answer that for you.

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

Return to “Public Space”