Masterpieces of modern guitarmusic...

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Kjetil Heggelund

Masterpieces of modern guitarmusic...

Post by Kjetil Heggelund » Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:18 pm

Inspired by another thread, I'd like to ask which pieces we regard as classics of modern guitarmusic :-) Of course we have Nocturnal. Frank Martin anyone? Almost all the pieces around Julian Bream! Magnus Lindbergs "Mano a mano" is going to be a classic!

best wishes from Norway,
Kjetil.
Kevin Aram "Torres", 2009
Stephan Schlemper "Transparence", 2015
Whatever you can do to have a good time, let's get on with it so long as it doesn't cause a murder...FZ

John Oster

Re: Masterpieces of modern guitarmusic...

Post by John Oster » Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:47 pm

For some non-Bream pieces, Nicholas Maw's "Music of Memory, Berio's "Sequenza XI," and Kurz's "I Giardini del Sogno" should be added to the list. Back to Bream, Henze's "The Royal Winter Music" and Tippett's "The Blue Guitar" rankly highly in my book. I'm eager to hear Birtwistle's "Construction with Guitar Player," a piece commissioned by Julian Bream's Trust. Jonathan Leathwood premieres it November 21 in Wigmore Hall in London.

Lovemyguitar

Post by Lovemyguitar » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:09 pm

One of my favourite sets of pieces (to name another Bream-commissioned composition): William Walton's Five Bagatelles. Masterpieces, all of them!

Kjetil Heggelund

Post by Kjetil Heggelund » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:55 pm

New piece by Birtwistle is very welcome! Takemitsu has written some masterpieces! So has Per Nørgård of Denmark and Marlos Nobre of Brazil. For guitarist composers Brouwer has several, Bogdanovic "Balkan Miniatures" is a classic! Koshkin's "Prince's Toys", and Koyunbaba by Domeniconi.
Whatever you can do to have a good time, let's get on with it so long as it doesn't cause a murder...FZ

randalljazz

Post by randalljazz » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:45 pm

allowing a generous interpretation of the word "masterpiece"...

vagn holmboe (well respected danish non-guitarist) wrote two fabulous sonatas and five intermezzi (see maria kammerling's recording)...

augustin kubizek, austrian non-guitarist, gave us one brilliant sonata...

carlos guastavino wrote three sonatas, very ingratiating harmonically, very melodic (see maria isabel siewers' recording)...

rodrigo left us much that is not often performed--triptico, elogia de la guitarra, sonata giacosa...

torroba's superb sonata-fantasia languishes mostly unperformed...

guido santorsola wrote five sonatas and much else...

richard rodney bennett's sonata is wonderful...
"Beauty is nothing but the beginning of terror, which we still are just able to endure, and we are are so awed because it serenely disdains to annihilate us." -- Ranier Maria Rilke

randalljazz

Post by randalljazz » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:49 am

alberto ginastera's sonata...

cuban composer jose ardevol wrote a delightful sonata...

as did antonio lauro, which lies mostly (unjustly) neglected...

south african/swiss composer david hönigsberg composed the dazzling (and totally "listenable") african sonata...

the renowned jazz composer claude bolling wrote a sonata for guitar (in addition to several very fine concerted works)...

astor piazzolla wrote some fine pieces, and quite a few others have been transcribed, including the suite from the tango opera "maria de buenos aires"...

leslie bassett (another award-winning non guitarist) composed "temperament", featuring a very personal use of 20th C compositional techniques...

further out are the contributions of milton babbitt, elliot carter, and maurice ohana...
"Beauty is nothing but the beginning of terror, which we still are just able to endure, and we are are so awed because it serenely disdains to annihilate us." -- Ranier Maria Rilke

Kjetil Heggelund

Post by Kjetil Heggelund » Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:50 am

Edison Denisov's Sonata should be played more...( I did yesterday and should have today...)

Sir Peter Maxwell Davies "Hill Runes" :-)

Alan Green

Post by Alan Green » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:02 am

Carlo Domeniconi has give us some great music - Koyunbaba being the one everybody mentions, and also "Variations on an Anatolian Folksong" which is virtuosic and superb to listen to.

johnsonguitar

Post by johnsonguitar » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:35 am

It's probably a bit on the over-recommended side, but I consider El Decameron Negro by Leo Brouwer to be a modern masterpiece. I also particularly love the John Duarte Musikones, Op. 107 and all of the Ponce sonatas, particularly Sonata III.
J. Perfecto Rubio Vazquez Spruce/Vietnamese Rosewood San Antonio #36 Concert Guitar "Sabine"
Ibanez GA35TCE-DVS for the outdoor stuff

Peter Lovett

Post by Peter Lovett » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:45 am

The thread does, though, beg the question, just what is considered modern classical guitar music? Is there a date from which it is considered modern? Is it a form of music, for example, atonality, that categorises it as modern?

One thing is for certain though and that is that when I read these threads I discover there is a lot more music for the classical guitar than I previously thought.
1994 Jim Williams lattice braced, Cedar/Tasmanian Blackwood

Erik Zurcher

Post by Erik Zurcher » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:23 am

Constellations from Armand Coeck, a real 'wow' piece of music.
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

randalljazz

Post by randalljazz » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:07 am

Erik Zurcher wrote:Constellations from Armand Coeck, a real 'wow' piece of music.
yes, indeed!!!

Erik Zurcher

Post by Erik Zurcher » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:23 pm

randalljazz wrote:
Erik Zurcher wrote:Constellations from Armand Coeck, a real 'wow' piece of music.
yes, indeed!!!
I love the rendition, performed by Simon Dinnigan on youtube.
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

johnsonguitar

Post by johnsonguitar » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:37 pm

Peter Lovett wrote:The thread does, though, beg the question, just what is considered modern classical guitar music? Is there a date from which it is considered modern? Is it a form of music, for example, atonality, that categorises it as modern?

One thing is for certain though and that is that when I read these threads I discover there is a lot more music for the classical guitar than I previously thought.

When I think "modern", I think basically anything from the 20th century forward. "Modern" music might draw heavily from previous style periods in western art music, other music systems from around the world, and the popular forms.
J. Perfecto Rubio Vazquez Spruce/Vietnamese Rosewood San Antonio #36 Concert Guitar "Sabine"
Ibanez GA35TCE-DVS for the outdoor stuff

Kjetil Heggelund

Post by Kjetil Heggelund » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:47 pm

Coeck sounds great in the hands of Dinnigan! I'm glad many of you feel the same as me. My point in this thread was to point out all the music that is not so much performed but is worthy of being regarded as a masterpiece. I'm sure we forgot some...maybe Biberian Preludes? Koshkin Preludes & fugues when they arrive :-) When I say "modern guitarmusic" I go for tonal, extended tonality and atonality, written in 20th century. So José's sonata should be there too and Castelnuovo Tedesco!

Return to “Public Space”