Masterpieces of modern guitarmusic...

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
David Belcher

Re: Masterpieces of modern guitarmusic...

Post by David Belcher » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:40 pm

PaulHardy wrote:
David Belcher wrote:Great point, Paul. The Theme and Variations is indeed really excellent. I don't know Korchmar's piece—I'll have to check it out. Any recommended recordings?
David I think it's only had one recording (that's why I say it's not over-exposed!); by Carl Herring, on a disc of Russian guitar music. I'll find the label later today for you.

edit -- ah yes it's on the Audio-B label, and is avalable on the big river place and others
Thanks, Paul. I'll track it down.
"In music I think it's very, very dangerous if you start to compare and say, 'This is good, this is not good, this is only one possibility' . . . there are so many possibilities, but what is important is to be open to that." - Pavel Steidl

David Belcher

Post by David Belcher » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:11 pm

GuitarX wrote:Search YouTube for "Matt Palmer plays The Heaven's Hundred (Небесная Сотня) by Olga Amelkina-Vera"--it's one of the best pieces I've heard in a long time. The audio is very bad on the video, but he is recording it on a CD soon. There are also excerpts under the title of "Olga Amelkina-Vera's New Sonata" with far better sound and video.
Yeah, whoa! That's an incredible piece.
"In music I think it's very, very dangerous if you start to compare and say, 'This is good, this is not good, this is only one possibility' . . . there are so many possibilities, but what is important is to be open to that." - Pavel Steidl

GuitarX

Post by GuitarX » Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:28 pm

David Belcher wrote:
GuitarX wrote:Search YouTube for "Matt Palmer plays The Heaven's Hundred (Небесная Сотня) by Olga Amelkina-Vera"--it's one of the best pieces I've heard in a long time. The audio is very bad on the video, but he is recording it on a CD soon. There are also excerpts under the title of "Olga Amelkina-Vera's New Sonata" with far better sound and video.
Yeah, whoa! That's an incredible piece.
It depicts the slaughter of innocent people in the Ukraine conflict. Very intense.

barcelona

Post by barcelona » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:41 pm

My vote goes for Joaquin Rodrigo's "Invocacion y Danza" and Angelo Gilardino "60 Studi di Virtuosita e Trascendenza". Cristiano Porqueddu has 4 CDs with the complete series of Gilardino's studies, and herculean task.

David Belcher

Post by David Belcher » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:24 pm

One I completely forgot to mention, but just remembered as I was listening to Alex Garrobé's incredible performance, is Joan Manén's Fantasia-Sonata. I consider this a masterpiece of the highest proportions.

Kjetil Heggelund

Post by Kjetil Heggelund » Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:27 am

Here I am again and read through all contributions. I'm sure we've missed some! Italians Goffredo Petrassi(Nunc & Suoni Notturni) and Alessandro Solbiati(3 pezzi) have been recorded several times. And some good news: Young & brave Chinese player, Xingye Li recorded Edison Denisov's sonata, now on spottily! He also plays Tan Dun, Britten, Rodrigo & Ginastera and calls his recording "masterpieces".
Kevin Aram "Torres", 2009
Stephan Schlemper "Transparence", 2015
Whatever you can do to have a good time, let's get on with it so long as it doesn't cause a murder...FZ

Lovemyguitar

Post by Lovemyguitar » Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:21 pm

If we are just listing modern pieces (rather than those that are bona fide "masterpieces", however that may be determined anyway...), Antonis Hatzinikolaou recorded an album of modern guitar pieces written by British composers, called "Music of Memory," which also includes a lesser-known Bream commission (never recorded by Bream himself) by Peter Racine Fricker, "Paseo, Op.61." There are all sorts of interesting pieces on the album, all of which were written between 1968-2012.

Lovemyguitar

Post by Lovemyguitar » Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:31 pm

And, while I'm at it, there are several pieces for guitar written by Michael Berkeley (Lennox's son), including another Bream-related piece (for those who care!), the Sonata, which Michael wrote for Bream (although it was commissioned by the BBC, and never recorded by Bream). Craig Ogden has a great CD of all the Berkeleys pieces for guitar.

Kjetil Heggelund

Post by Kjetil Heggelund » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:13 pm

I hope we're not just listing modern pieces! Antonis Hatzinikolaou's cd is on spotify, but doesn't show composers. Never heard of Fricker...I've had a time consuming habit of trying to find composers who are well known in other genres than classical guitar and who have written works for solo guitar. I also bought too many scores as a result, many that are rarely performed. I might have to practice for 300 years...I'd like to define a "master" piece as a work written by a "master" composer, and with modern I mean from the first impressionist times to this year in classical music. I guess master this and master that can get confusing.
Whatever you can do to have a good time, let's get on with it so long as it doesn't cause a murder...FZ

Lovemyguitar

Post by Lovemyguitar » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:06 pm

Ah, that changes the direction slightly from your initial post, which said:
Kjetil Heggelund wrote:...I'd like to ask which pieces we regard as classics of modern guitarmusic ...
Since you've done the research, perhaps you'd like to share some more of it with us, particularly the "rarely performed" pieces by these master composers, that some of us may not know about. Thanks in advance!

Guero

Post by Guero » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:38 pm

Kjetil Heggelund wrote:Bogdanovic "Balkan Miniatures" is a classic!
I absolutely love the Miniatures!

But how comes hardly anyone "plays" the fermata as Bogdanovic explains in the glossery: "In the third movement hold back at the end of every measure. It`s crucial to understand the fermata as part of the general rhythmic flow (Vranjanka Dance)."

Greetings, güero.

Kjetil Heggelund

Post by Kjetil Heggelund » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:54 am

Guess I didn't read my original post for a while, just looked at the heading. Here is my list so far of "major" composers that wrote something for guitar. I really don't know which ones are true classics of modern music(there are some that are obvious). Certainly pieces that have been performed/recorded several times should be. I believe these composers are worthy of being called masters. What do you think? :-) ...ps it's not updated (grr)

Franghis Ali-Zadeh
Almeida Prado
Louis Andriessen
Malcolm Arnold
Nils Henrik Asheim
Simon Bainbridge
Milton Babbitt
Leonardo Balada
Jurg Baur
Richard Rodney Bennet
Luciano Berio
Lennox Berkeley
Antonio Bibalo
Harrison Birtwistle
Benjamin Britten
Salvatore Brotons
Franz Burkhart
Elliott Carter
Benet Casablancas
Philip Cashian
Carlos Chavez
Giorgio Colombo Taccani
Carlos Cruz de Castro
Peter Maxwell Davies
Georges Delerue
Edison Denisov
Stephen Dodgson
Tom Eastwood
Petr Eben
Ferenc Farkas
Gabriel Fernandez Alvez
Brian Ferneyhough
Jean Francaix
Anton Garcia Abril
Roberto Gerhard
Alberto Ginastera
Carlos Guastavino
Sofia Gubaidulina
Cristobal Halfter
Haflidi Hallgrimson
Lou Harrison
Hans Haug
Hans Werner Henze
Jacques Hetu
Vagn Holmboe
Joaquim Homs
Toshio Hosokawa
Adina Izarra
Andre Jolivet
Bernt Kasberg Evensen
Rudolf Kelterborn
Ernst Krenek
Edino Krieger
Johann Kvandal
Magnus Lindberg
Tomas Marco
Frank Martin
Nicholas Maw
Darius Milhaud
Ronaldo Miranda
Xavier Montsalvatge
Eduardo Morales-Caso
Tristan Murail
Thea Musgrave
Marlos Nobre
Per Nørgård
Ib Nørholm
Xavier Pages i Corella
Lorenzo Palomo
Apostolos Paraskevas
Hilda Paredes
Goffredo Petrassi
Astor Piazzolla
Claudio Prieto
Einojuhani Rautavaara
Alan Rawsthorne
George Rochberg
Joaquin Rodrigo
Poul Ruders
Jesus Rueda
Guido Santorsola
Robert Saxton
Asbjørn Schaathun
Peter Sculthorpe
Roberto Sierra
Dmitri Smirnov
Alessandro Solbiati
Toru Takemitsu
Michael Tippett
Joan Tower
Peteris Vasks
Giulio Viozzi
Param Vir
William Walton
Charles Wuorinen
Benjamin Yusupov
Friedrich Zehm
Last edited by Kjetil Heggelund on Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:23 am, edited 3 times in total.

PaulHardy

Post by PaulHardy » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:24 pm

Kjetil Heggelund wrote: Antonis Hatzinikolaou's cd is on spotify, but doesn't show composers.

No, but via the NMC Recordings website you can get the details;

Joseph Atkins: Indian Summer
Nicholas Maw: Music of Memory
Fricker: Paseo
Matthew Taylor: Fantasy for Guitar
Bryan Northcott: Fantasia for Guitar
Charlotte Bray: Passing Shadows I-IV
John McCabe: Canto for Guitar
Maw: Little Suite

The Bray & Taylor pieces were commissioned by Antonis with help from the Britten-Pears Foundation

Lovemyguitar

Post by Lovemyguitar » Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:21 pm

Kjetil Heggelund wrote:...Here is my list so far of "major" composers that wrote something for guitar. ...
Wow! That is a long list! (I won't even pretend to have heard of all these people...). I will enjoy looking into these names and their music, and most likely I will discover many new treasures for the guitar (and other music, too).

Thank you so much! Cheers!

Kjetil Heggelund

Post by Kjetil Heggelund » Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:54 pm

I know it's long, think I wish it was shorter :-) I based my "research" on oxfordmusiconline.com, some lists from composer awards, and sheerpluck.de and the pocci catalogue. At first I heard music not for guitar and looked into who wrote for solo guitar. There are some composers I wish was on the list!

Return to “Public Space”