Masterpieces of modern guitarmusic...

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
GuitarX

Re: Masterpieces of modern guitarmusic...

Post by GuitarX » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:25 pm

I'm surprised that Nikita Koshkin isn't on that long list, but he's primarily a guitar composer, even though he has composed a concerto and numerous chamber works with guitar.

Kjetil Heggelund

Post by Kjetil Heggelund » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:15 pm

I think I'm going to thin out that list, and find out who really are major composers. Major composers for guitar could get their own list and Koshkin, Brouwer and many others would be on it.
Kevin Aram "Torres", 2009
Stephan Schlemper "Transparence", 2015
Whatever you can do to have a good time, let's get on with it so long as it doesn't cause a murder...FZ

Lovemyguitar

Post by Lovemyguitar » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:52 pm

Kjetil,

You may also want to add Lennox Berkeley and William Walton, as fairly major composers who wrote mostly not for the guitar, but who did, of course, give we guitarists some nice little gems, "masterpieces" in fact!

And, on the subject of British composers, although we have yet to hear his new guitar piece, Harrison Birtwistle wrote one (and he is also a major composer!).

Edit! I forgot, Birtwistle also wrote an earlier guitar piece (for his son), just a short one, called "Guitar and White Hand."

Kjetil Heggelund

Post by Kjetil Heggelund » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:20 pm

I added 3 British composers. Maybe Cyril Scott should be there too? And Jonathan Harvey...If you nice people want me to work on the list, I'm happy to do so. I've been reading "Modern Music and After" by Paul Griffiths and got even more names of potential masterpiece composers...
Whatever you can do to have a good time, let's get on with it so long as it doesn't cause a murder...FZ

PaulHardy

Post by PaulHardy » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:58 pm

With these criteria you might consider the following names;
Germaine Tailleferre
Darius Milhaud
Georges Delerue
Richard Rodney Bennet
Thea Musgrave
Robert Saxton

Can't remember - was Andre Previn on the list?

PaulHardy

Post by PaulHardy » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:02 pm

Oops yes Robert Saxton is already there. Hard to refer back using a phone <blush>

Kjetil Heggelund

Post by Kjetil Heggelund » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:19 am

I can add those composers but Tailleferre and Previn since the list is of solo guitar pieces. :-) Hopefully I won't make a pocci list...I actually have the score to most pieces on my list...

PaulHardy

Post by PaulHardy » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:03 pm

Kjetil Heggelund wrote:I can add those composers but Tailleferre and Previn since the list is of solo guitar pieces. :-)
OK, sorry about that

But a lost solo piece by Tailleferre (called imaginatively "Guitare"!) was reported as discovered in 2004, and Otto Tolonen has made a recording for his "Tiento Francais" disc. It's also available on YT

Kjetil Heggelund

Post by Kjetil Heggelund » Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:15 am

The piece is now found! Sounds nice and looks like slow finger thrashing...Never heard the composer before. Thanks for the feedback!

randalljazz

Post by randalljazz » Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:54 pm

Andrew Violette wrote a guitar sonata in 2007 that clocks in at just over an hour! hard to give it sufficient listening to say whether or not a "masterpiece", but certainly a significant addition to the repertoire.

dan lippel's recording is on youtube, with the score scrolling along as he plays. the composer's email is there, too...
"Beauty is nothing but the beginning of terror, which we still are just able to endure, and we are are so awed because it serenely disdains to annihilate us." -- Ranier Maria Rilke

Kjetil Heggelund

Post by Kjetil Heggelund » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:37 pm

WOWIE! That's a mega long thing! Found it on spotify and I'm listening now. Checked out mr. Violettes homepage and he seems like a composer for me and capable of masterpieces! A bit old fashioned maybe. Hard to tell if this is a masterpiece but there aren't many other pieces for guitar of such proportions, meaning LONG. (Can only think of Delpriora that I haven't heard). Hope mr. Lippel plays it from memory :-) I think whoever plays this has to make it dynamically interesting, to make a fantastic aural journey for the listener. Think I like it now :-) By the way Andrew Violettes pianosonata no. 7 is 3 hours long!!!

GuitarX

Post by GuitarX » Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:37 pm

"Long" isn't necessarily better! Admittedly, I did skim though the piece a bit, but there isn't enough melodic interest throughout, and the first part lacks textural and rhythmic variety for my taste. At least it isn't three hours long like his Piano Sonata.

Kjetil Heggelund

Post by Kjetil Heggelund » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:05 pm

Maybe "long" is part of Violette's way of expressing himself. I read he was a Benedictine monk for some time and it is reflected in his work. I like to be challenged as a listener and this music does so in a very different way than I'm used to. So for me it's maybe a masterpiece! I actually wrote to him and he just replied that he had a really hard time getting someone to play it and swore he would never write for guitar again. He was very pleased with Dan Lippels performance (who was "the only brave guitarist in NY") and might write more (also because of people like me) :-)

TeaWizard

Post by TeaWizard » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:07 pm

I suppose de Falla's "Homenaje" wasn't listed since it is a bit popular or better-known. I absolutely adore Poulenc's "Sarabande" though. A nice and simple charm to it!

ben etow

Post by ben etow » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:30 pm

TeaWizard wrote:I absolutely adore Poulenc's "Sarabande" though. A nice and simple charm to it!
I totally agree, it's marvelous. I'm pretty sure you would love Le Temps qui passe by Henri Sauguet too. Even shorter, but very similar and charming to my ears...

Return to “Public Space”