Masterpieces of modern guitarmusic...

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Polifemo de Oro

Re: Masterpieces of modern guitarmusic...

Post by Polifemo de Oro » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:37 pm

Lately, a flutist friend and I have been playing recitals in northern California and one piece that is central to our repertoire these days is the Histoire du Tango, of Astor Piazzolla. This music is absolutely all-consuming--technically, physically, emotionally--and it has gotten into my blood with its great passion. I consider him a peerless, modern Master.

TeaWizard

Post by TeaWizard » Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:45 pm

ben etow wrote:
TeaWizard wrote:I absolutely adore Poulenc's "Sarabande" though. A nice and simple charm to it!
I totally agree, it's marvelous. I'm pretty sure you would love Le Temps qui passe by Henri Sauguet too. Even shorter, but very similar and charming to my ears...
Thank you very much for that great recommendation! I agree with you on both aspects of it -- its similitude and subtle charm to it. I'll have to add that to my repertoir now once I find the music for it. Thanks again for it! :D :merci:

Pat Dodson

Post by Pat Dodson » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:36 pm

Polifemo de Oro wrote:Lately, a flutist friend and I have been playing recitals in northern California and one piece that is central to our repertoire these days is the Histoire du Tango, of Astor Piazzolla. This music is absolutely all-consuming--technically, physically, emotionally--and it has gotten into my blood with its great passion. I consider him a peerless, modern Master.
Well that's been a wonderful hour looking that up! What a work! Kudos to you sir for being involved in playing it too!

A few tube videos are horribly unbalanced re volume of the two soloists and I wanted to shout "please go and play the other side of the street!."

However there are excellent Duo KeMi vids and this tremendous flute, guitar version. For those, like me, who didn't know the work, do have a look. It's fantastic!

Junnonen and Kumela in concert:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QH2c1wSVpe0

Thank you Polifemo

Polifemo de Oro

Post by Polifemo de Oro » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:00 pm

You're most welcome, Pat. Junnonen and Kumela are great in this piece, aren't they? I love their interpretation--it is the best one that I've seen on YouTube. And I am happy that you enjoyed the music. I think that Astor Piazzolla definitely needs to be included in any discussion relating to masterpieces of modern music.

The only problem for me in playing this piece, is that it has many percussive effects throughout as you no doubt have noticed and I get so carried away that I am really afraid I'm going to wind up destroying the top of one of my guitars one of these days!!!

Kjetil Heggelund

Post by Kjetil Heggelund » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:25 pm

Piazzolla is on the list, but for his "5 piezas". Trying to keep it to solo guitar and major composers...as if I am the one who knows :-)
Kevin Aram "Torres", 2009
Stephan Schlemper "Transparence", 2015
Whatever you can do to have a good time, let's get on with it so long as it doesn't cause a murder...FZ

ben etow

Post by ben etow » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:11 am

TeaWizard wrote:
ben etow wrote:
TeaWizard wrote:I absolutely adore Poulenc's "Sarabande" though. A nice and simple charm to it!
I totally agree, it's marvelous. I'm pretty sure you would love Le Temps qui passe by Henri Sauguet too. Even shorter, but very similar and charming to my ears...
Thank you very much for that great recommendation! I agree with you on both aspects of it -- its similitude and subtle charm to it. I'll have to add that to my repertoir now once I find the music for it. Thanks again for it! :D :merci:
You're welcome, de rien :D
It is published in either vol1 or vol2 of Musique pour Claudel. They had it in Casa Luthier (Barcelona), where you could find more interesting stuff.
Enjoy!

Denian Arcoleo
Composer

Post by Denian Arcoleo » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:02 am

Pat Dodson wrote:Junnonen and Kumela in concert:https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QH2c1wSVpe0

Thank you Polifemo
That's probably the best performance of this piece that I've ever heard. Wonderful.

Polifemo de Oro

Post by Polifemo de Oro » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:46 pm

Oh yeah--this duo is HOT! :D

David Hobstetter

Post by David Hobstetter » Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:16 am

Wow... I'd never heard Poulenc's Sarabande. Fantastic piece. I need to bookmark this thread!

djajasoekarta

Post by djajasoekarta » Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:17 am

Roberto Sierra has written 2 pieces (one in sonata form) to my knowledge. Recently the sonata was brought to attention by the great Marcin Dylla.

The most interesting works of the 20th century for me is Igor Rekhnin's 24 Preludes and Fugues. Some 10 years ago it's listed in Guinness Book as longest single works ever written for guitar. A true major works, considering it's size. 2002 GFA Winner Dimitri Illarionov recorded some pieces on his Naxos CD and I found they quite interesting. There's a pieces with strong Bluesy feeling on it !!

The most recent 'Major' works of course a 24 Prelude-Fugues by the great Nikita Koshkin. AFAIK it's not been published so it's hard to judge

I hope there'll be a guitarist with good technical facility and bravery to tackle or perform this works in the future. Some guitarist already recorded the whole Caprichos de Goya and one guy even managed to perform all of them live. Now, this is a time is for Rekhin's or Koshkin's cycle. Experiencing a music like this is unique in their own way.
'The woolen cloth of his suit made me question the value of Chinese silks. His fountain pen made me ashamed of my writing brushes and Chinese writing paper' - Puyi

'I don't write music to be difficult, only to be more like itself' - Harrison Birtwistle

Bugsy

Post by Bugsy » Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:52 pm

Stepan Rak's "Hommage to Tarrega" - a powerful piece in "grand old style" plus those really delightful nuances. I prefer Rovshan Mamedkuliev's take on it - controlled and imaginative, fantastic build-up with great finale.

Kjetil Heggelund

Post by Kjetil Heggelund » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:16 pm

Hey! Lets update this thread :-) Any new fantastic pieces around? I have been practicing Marlos Nobre's Momentos no. 4 and it's a great piece, it's from 1984 though.
Whatever you can do to have a good time, let's get on with it so long as it doesn't cause a murder...FZ

Lovemyguitar

Post by Lovemyguitar » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:00 am

That Nobre piece is certainly very intense. I recently heard a new (to me) piece by Pēteris Vasks called "The Sonata of Loneliness" (from the early 1990s), which I liked very much (check out Marcin Dylla playing it on u-tube, if you wish).

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:48 am

Walton's five bagatelles. Check out Isabella seller doing this on YT. I just got the sheet music to this. Very cool.

Kjetil Heggelund

Post by Kjetil Heggelund » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:30 am

Decided to remind you all of this little list :-) Anybody forgotten?

Franghis Ali-Zadeh
Almeida Prado
Louis Andriessen
Malcolm Arnold
Nils Henrik Asheim
Simon Bainbridge
Milton Babbitt
Leonardo Balada
Jurg Baur
Richard Rodney Bennet
Luciano Berio
Lennox Berkeley
Antonio Bibalo
Harrison Birtwistle
Benjamin Britten
Salvatore Brotons
Franz Burkhart
Elliott Carter
Benet Casablancas
Philip Cashian
Carlos Chavez
Giorgio Colombo Taccani
Carlos Cruz de Castro
Peter Maxwell Davies
Georges Delerue
Edison Denisov
Stephen Dodgson
Tom Eastwood
Petr Eben
Ferenc Farkas
Gabriel Fernandez Alvez
Brian Ferneyhough
Jean Francaix
Anton Garcia Abril
Roberto Gerhard
Alberto Ginastera
Carlos Guastavino
Sofia Gubaidulina
Cristobal Halfter
Haflidi Hallgrimson
Lou Harrison
Hans Haug
Hans Werner Henze
Jacques Hetu
Vagn Holmboe
Joaquim Homs
Toshio Hosokawa
Adina Izarra
Andre Jolivet
Bernt Kasberg Evensen
Rudolf Kelterborn
Ernst Krenek
Edino Krieger
Johann Kvandal
Magnus Lindberg
Tomas Marco
Frank Martin
Nicholas Maw
Darius Milhaud
Ronaldo Miranda
Xavier Montsalvatge
Eduardo Morales-Caso
Tristan Murail
Thea Musgrave
Marlos Nobre
Per Nørgård
Ib Nørholm
Xavier Pages i Corella
Lorenzo Palomo
Apostolos Paraskevas
Hilda Paredes
Goffredo Petrassi
Astor Piazzolla
Claudio Prieto
Einojuhani Rautavaara
Alan Rawsthorne
George Rochberg
Joaquin Rodrigo
Poul Ruders
Jesus Rueda
Guido Santorsola
Robert Saxton
Asbjørn Schaathun
Peter Sculthorpe
Roberto Sierra
Dmitri Smirnov
Alessandro Solbiati
Toru Takemitsu
Michael Tippett
Joan Tower
Peteris Vasks
Giulio Viozzi
Param Vir
William Walton
Charles Wuorinen
Benjamin Yusupov
Friedrich Zehm[/quote]

Return to “Public Space”