Masterpieces of modern guitarmusic...

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
randalljazz

Re: Masterpieces of modern guitarmusic...

Post by randalljazz » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:53 am

this is fun! you missed (omitted?) the assad aquarelle...
"Beauty is nothing but the beginning of terror, which we still are just able to endure, and we are are so awed because it serenely disdains to annihilate us." -- Ranier Maria Rilke

Kjetil Heggelund

Post by Kjetil Heggelund » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:07 pm

I kind of left out what I call "guitar composers". Think I have that in another topic :-)
Kevin Aram "Torres", 2009
Stephan Schlemper "Transparence", 2015
Whatever you can do to have a good time, let's get on with it so long as it doesn't cause a murder...FZ

randalljazz

Post by randalljazz » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:21 pm

continuing, having reviewed the thread, yet unmentioned:

alexander bellow, author, conductor, segovia student, wrote prolifically, now mostly out of print and unrecorded...best-known as paul simon's guitar teacher. his suite provencal is worth searching out

gilbert biberian, who has written prolifically for the solo guitar, much of which has been published

alfonso broqua, evocaciones criollas, an impressionistic-folkloric pastiche of the uruguayan side of rioplatense music

miguel cherubito, whose enormous suite popular argentina can be found on youtube, played by yepes

ernesto garcia de leon, also written prolifically (sonata #1, "campanas" is available in several versions on youtube)

radames gnattali, 3 concert etudes, the three movement brasiliana #13, pequena suite, also three movements, ten studies, all on youtube, all available at gsp guitar
"Beauty is nothing but the beginning of terror, which we still are just able to endure, and we are are so awed because it serenely disdains to annihilate us." -- Ranier Maria Rilke

randalljazz

Post by randalljazz » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:22 pm

Kjetil Heggelund wrote:I kind of left out what I call "guitar composers". Think I have that in another topic :-)
not in your original criteria...

Kjetil Heggelund

Post by Kjetil Heggelund » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:47 pm

Okidoki. We'll bring in the guitar composers then :-) Thank-you for the updates mr. Jazz. Listening to Yepes playing Cherubito now. Very nice! Will have to update my list. Assad, Bogdanovic, Brouwer f.ex.
Whatever you can do to have a good time, let's get on with it so long as it doesn't cause a murder...FZ

markworthi

Post by markworthi » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:51 pm

Has Federico Mompou (Suite Compostelana) been mentioned? Is it too well-known for this list?

Kjetil Heggelund

Post by Kjetil Heggelund » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:29 pm

Mompou isn't on it yet...Rodrigo is. I regard Suite Campostellana as a masterpiece, but not modern at all...I see my original post was pretty general. I would like that the topic here is about non-guitarist composers...

robert e

Post by robert e » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:30 pm

I don't think anyone's yet mentioned Mario Davidovsky's Synchronisms #10

Kjetil Heggelund

Post by Kjetil Heggelund » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:21 pm

Just heard Davidovsky's piece with Travis Andrews. Sounded like a very popular perfomance at my former school! Haven't heard guitar w/tape before. With Davidovsky's merits he should be amongst the masterpieces of modern guitar! Thank-you Robert :-) I'm going to listen to it again.

randalljazz

Post by randalljazz » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:09 pm

arthur bosmans, five brasileiras...interesting bio:
http://www.svm.be/content/bosmans-arthu ... anguage=en
the first brasileira, ponteio, can be found on youtube, and the first page of the score is in google's image file. complete score availabe at gsp guitar, and the complete work is recorded by agustin maruri on EMEC recording label (which also has maruri plus cellist recording of schubert's magnificient arpeggione sonata)...available around the web...

randalljazz

Post by randalljazz » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:56 pm

camargo guarnieri left us a half dozen pieces...

randalljazz

Post by randalljazz » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:14 pm

francisco mignone, douze etudes

robert e

Post by robert e » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:34 pm

Kjetil Heggelund wrote:Just heard Davidovsky's piece with Travis Andrews. Sounded like a very popular perfomance at my former school! Haven't heard guitar w/tape before. With Davidovsky's merits he should be amongst the masterpieces of modern guitar! Thank-you Robert :-) I'm going to listen to it again.
You're welcome, and thank you for the topic, Kjetil! I recently heard 8 of the 10 Synchronisms in one evening, which was a real treat. Jordan Dodson did a fantastic job with #10. The piece is a dazzler, for sure. I think Julian Bream recorded it.

Lovemyguitar

Post by Lovemyguitar » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:53 pm

robert e wrote:... I recently heard 8 of the 10 Synchronisms in one evening, which was a real treat. Jordan Dodson did a fantastic job with #10. The piece is a dazzler, for sure. I think Julian Bream recorded it.
No, Bream never recorded this piece.

Kjetil Heggelund

Post by Kjetil Heggelund » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:58 pm

There are at least 3 recordings on spotify of Davidovsky, one with famous guy David Starobin :-)

Return to “Public Space”