Movies featuring Classical guitar (or any instrument)

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Sobers

Re: Movies featuring Classical guitar (or any instrument)

Postby Sobers » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:39 pm

Thanks for all of your suggestions......I enjoy watching musicals or music oriented films...
I would like to pay a short review of these films discussed above...

1) The red violin is a real classic which features on a very special violin and it's maker, various players who take part in the journey of the violin featuring basically the European classical and Gypsy violinists. Great film, a must watch.
(I missed the Indian style of playing, in case the story traveled to India instead of China it would add more colours.. just a thought)
2) Le Concert,...... what a film.. fantastic, beautiful, inspiring... a must watch for all classical musicians. If you are passionate about your music but tired and frustrated of your musical failures, think you should stop now, depressed that no one will ever listen to your music... voilà.. here is what you need to watch.
(I'm biased because the movie features my favourite composer Tchaikovsky and the famous violin concerto in D)

3) Un cœur en hiver, a nice one again about a violinist played by the beautiful Emmanuelle Béart and A late Quartet, a film about four middle aged musicians struggling with their midlife crisis and the same time being passionate about their love of music.
4) The one I mentioned before Music of the heart, again a must watch if you are lacking in inspiration but don't want to give up so easily...... and here The Soloist is about a musician who struggles with his mental illness and the narrator of the story helps him unconditionally. This film reminds us that so many people are out there who feel for the music and the musicians.
5) Nicolo Paganini is an old film don't watch if you don't have interest about his life. The Piano teacher focuses very little on teaching piano but on everything else.
6) Same about Péril en la demeure, little or no focus about Classical guitar teaching but it works as a plot for a thriller. A nice film to watch but an absurd ending.
7) August Rush, a much hyped film anybody can guess from YouTube but the film-maker has some ridiculous idea about learning music and musical prodigy in that case. Nobody can play a guitar by just seeing it for the first time. Forget making complex tunes out of a guitar... playing guitar needs understanding of the relation between scales and chords...(not mentioning the calluses of the left hand fingertips) Nobody can learn notation and then start composing in 5 mins. Even Mozart had to study. The film also tries to create a bond between Classical music with pop/rock music which remains as unclear as the prodigy shown. But in spite of that the film is encouraging, inspiring and definitely a celebration of music.

I am about to experience Tous les matins du monde and many others...... Thanks for this treat friends... thanks for your experiences and suggestions..... I will try to find more... and let you all know.

wevard

Postby wevard » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:14 pm

Hilary and Jackie (1999) It's about two sisters, one of them becomes a professional flute player while the other becomes a cellist. It's a movie full of drama but it has good music. Avoid reading the wikipedia description of the movie, it will spoil the whole thing.

twang

Postby twang » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:13 pm

Vicky Cristina Barcelona
"An amateur is he who takes up the study of an instrument as a relaxation from his serious occupations." -- Sor

brianvds

Postby brianvds » Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:52 am

twang wrote:Vicky Cristina Barcelona

I second this! Apart from the nice bits of guitar music, it is a quite delightful film in general. :-)

NorthTexan

Postby NorthTexan » Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:17 am

The movie "Sideways" features a scene at a wine tasting with a guitarist playing Recuerdos. Also, an episode of the Sopranos featured Recuerdos playing over the credits at the end of the episode. The Sopranos use of Recuerdos was rather misplaced because it was an episode that focused on a storyline involving an Italian restaurant. They must've though Recuerdos sounded like Italian mandolin music, I guess...
"Get that poison out of your system." - Dave Lampert

Sobers

Postby Sobers » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:44 pm

Whiplash...... new movie.. a must watch to renew some inspiration to practice more :-)

Alicia

Postby Alicia » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:15 pm

Flatliners - Kevin Bacon has a CG in the background when he's in his college room. I guess it's there to signal how studious he is?
_..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__

Sobers

Postby Sobers » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:35 am

Anybody seen Alegre ma non troppo (1994) featuring French Horn??

Tom Poore

Postby Tom Poore » Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:39 am

Keith wrote:Crossroads? The "wax on wax off" twerp? The guy ditches a classical guitar for steel strings!

I like this movie because it allows me to play—with a personal twist—the “Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon” game. Follow me on this. “Crossroads” is the movie that, in the early days of William Kanengiser’s career, figured prominently in his bio. He was the guitar double for the scene in which Ralph Macchio plays Mozart’s “Rondo alla Turca.” Later in the same scene, you’ll see guitarist Agnes Narciso perform Bach on an eight string. (She’s a former student of José Tomás.) Narciso is the guitarist for whom Ian Krouse wrote his excellent “Trois Tableaux d’Andersen.” Narciso dropped out of guitar playing, and Krouse’s piece languished unplayed for almost three decades. It finally got its premiere recording in 2013 by Krystin O’Mara, a former student of mine.

Here’s the scene from the movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8_yx1_uGS4

Tom Poore
South Euclid, OH
USA

fwellers

Postby fwellers » Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:29 pm

I'll second Whiplash. Just watched it last night. Very strong movie. What Sobers said about it is spot on.
And the last 15 minutes or so, I watched 3 times.

Marshall Dixon

Postby Marshall Dixon » Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:34 pm

How about The Barefoot Contessa with Humphrey Bogart?

Arkansan

Postby Arkansan » Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:57 pm

Crossroads

Youtube

TeaWizard

Postby TeaWizard » Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:59 pm

Though not quite the type of film you are asking for, it is worth mentioning Julian Bream in "Guitarra!". Plus, who wouldn't want three hours of Bream's playing anyways?!

Sobers

Postby Sobers » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:16 pm

I have the DVD :-)

Sobers

Postby Sobers » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:32 pm

No news from Alegre ma non troppo (1994)........ I couldn't find the movie :-(

only this trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Unw2UnxAmBs
Last edited by Sobers on Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Public Space”