Movies featuring Classical guitar (or any instrument)

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Sobers

Re: Movies featuring Classical guitar (or any instrument)

Post by Sobers » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:35 pm

Two new entries......

1) The Devil's Violinist (2013) {reveals the truth about a true genius}

2) Grand Piano (2013) [you won't be having any stage fright after watching this movie :-) ]

Sobers

Post by Sobers » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:15 pm

SusanGRas wrote:
I wanted to see a film with a retired quintet as a theme but didn't and can't find its name now.
Are you talking about the movie Quartet (2012) ??

That reminds me of a movie I saw in TV few years ago... The Band's Visit (2007) .....a 'must watch' one

Lovemyguitar

Post by Lovemyguitar » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:26 pm

Don Juan DeMarco. It has quite a bit of classical guitar in the soundtrack, and Julian Bream is actually listed in the credits as one of the musicians (although for no specific piece)! The movie is rather charming, too.

Tricky Fish

Post by Tricky Fish » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:30 pm

The Australian movie "Shine". It's about a talented pianist with mental illness. Based on a true story.

Marshall Dixon

Post by Marshall Dixon » Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:02 pm

Any instrument?

Latcho Drom, another French flick. It's a documentary about the history of the migration of the Roma from the Punjab to the Atlantic told through the music that is played today (or 30 years ago when the movie was made).

Sobers

Post by Sobers » Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:12 am

@Marshall... No, I mean ''instrument'' not music. Like a story of an instrument/few instruments, or a musician and/or a movie in which some instrument playing footage is there AND it has to be a feature film.
I have the DVD of Latcho Drom, for my particular interest in gypsy culture but that's another story. Btw, those gypsies are from Rajasthan and not Punjab..
Regards

SusanGRas

Post by SusanGRas » Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:28 pm

Sobers wrote:
SusanGRas wrote:
I wanted to see a film with a retired quintet as a theme but didn't and can't find its name now.
Are you talking about the movie Quartet (2012) ??

That reminds me of a movie I saw in TV few years ago... The Band's Visit (2007) .....a 'must watch' one
No, that was singers. The one I am thinking about was musicians. May have been in the same type of setting. Thanks for the movie name because I had missed that one.

Marshall Dixon

Post by Marshall Dixon » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:56 pm

Sobers wrote:@Marshall... No, I mean ''instrument'' not music. Like a story of an instrument/few instruments, or a musician and/or a movie in which some instrument playing footage is there AND it has to be a feature film.
I have the DVD of Latcho Drom, for my particular interest in gypsy culture but that's another story. Btw, those gypsies are from Rajasthan and not Punjab..
Regards
Hello Sobers, thanks for the correction regarding the origin of gypsies. I'll have to think harder about this.

OK, how about Carnegie Hall. It's about a young man who plays piano and wants to join a big band, but his mother wants him to be a classical pianist. Mamma wins, but not before a dozen or so famous musicians appear on screen to influence his decision. But alas! No guitarists.

rokka

Post by rokka » Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:23 pm

La leggenda del pianista sull'oceano (1998) Giuseppe Tornatore. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120731/
Johnny Guitar (1954) Nicholas Ray. Great western with Victor Young's score. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0047136/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
And two mentioned here before: A Late Quartet (2012) It's very good.
And Deadfall (1968). The film itself is not any masterpiece, but it has a burglary sequence, set against specially composed guitar concerto and performed on screen by John Barry and Renata Tarragó (guitar). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJ_AP-7bG48 (part 1)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UK4Xtz-O5II (part 2).

Sobers

Post by Sobers » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:07 pm

Marshall Dixon wrote:
Sobers wrote: OK, how about Carnegie Hall. It's about a young man who plays piano and wants to join a big band, but his mother wants him to be a classical pianist. Mamma wins, but not before a dozen or so famous musicians appear on screen to influence his decision. But alas! No guitarists.
Thank you... much appreciated :)

and to rokka, thanks for the lovely input.... regards :)

redge

Post by redge » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:24 pm

Not many on guitar that I know of but Bream did a great documentary where he played pieces on all the past versions of the guitar up until the present day Torres model. It's a fascinating watch

On the piano - check out a French film called 'The beat that my heart skipped'. Fantastic story with a lot of great pieces from Bach/Debussy

Sobers

Post by Sobers » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:00 pm

Thanks a lot redge for the 'movie' name...(and Bream's docu Guitarra and also My life in music etc have been discussed many times)

Frousse

Post by Frousse » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:04 pm

""Humoresque" (with John Garfield and Joan Crawford) is among the movies that come to mind (the violin is the instrument featured, and the performances are really by Isaac Stern). "Paris Blues" (with Paul Newman and Sydney Poitier) features a classical guitar scene and many jazz musicians (Louis Armstrong, etc.). "A Song is Born" (with Danny Kaye and Virginia May) features jazz players such as Benny Goodman, Tommy Dorsey. "The Barefoot Contessa" (with Ava Gardner and Frank Sinatra) has, if I remember correctly, a scene feature a flamenco guitarist.

Sobers

Post by Sobers » Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:39 pm

I have seen Humoresque... a real classic one... and for the other names... here goes a big hug from me :-)

6strings

Post by 6strings » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:40 am

Glenn wrote:The new Robocop movie has a guy with a robotic hand playing the Concierto de Aranjuez in a hospital during his rehab. He struggles with it because his robotic tendencies go into overdrive and this causes him to not feel the music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRceb6cA4yw
So is this next generation in guitar playing? Do you think composite strings would go better with robotic arm? :-)

Return to “Public Space”