Have your uploads (PDFs, JPGs, MP3s) been corrupted?

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Have your uploads (PDFs, JPGs, MP3s) been corrupted?

Postby GeoffB » Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:20 pm

The problem

As already mentioned in a couple of other places, the recent migration of the forum to a new server led to a number of attachments (PDFs, JPGs, MP3s, etc.) being corrupted. M. Delcamp did all he could to fix this, but unfortunately there are still some attachments that cannot be fixed, and we've no way of knowing how many there are or which they are until someone tries to read them.

• If you try to play an MP3, or view a PDF or JPG, and find that you can't or that it is corrupted (for instance sometimes a PDF looks fine on the first page but is distorted on later pages), please alert the poster of the file.

• If one of your own files is corrupted, the only solution is to delete the file from your post and reload it from your original file, if you still have it. If you no longer have the original file and can't reproduce it, and the file is crucial to a topic (for instance an item in "Our Scores" or "Our recordings", please alert the moderators so that we can archive the topic.

Replacing the corrupted file

Assuming you still have the original file, you can replace it yourself by editing your post, as long as the post is not more than 21 days old.

Look for the Edit button along the top of your post. It looks like this:
EditIcon.JPG

If the Edit button is present

Click on the button to open your post in edit mode, then click on the Attachments tab below the edit window, find the relevant attachment in the list and click "Delete file" againt it.

Then click on "Add files", browse to your original file and double click it to insert. After doing that, if you want to display it at a particular point in your post, first put the cursor at that point and then click on "Place inline", but otherwise this step is not necessary. Then click on "Submit". Test the attachment to make sure it now works.

If you don't see an Edit button

This means you can no longer edit the post, but the moderators can do it for you. Proceed as follows:
Post a reply on the end of your topic, upload the original attachment into that reply, and Submit.
Then, click on the report button along the top of that post. It looks like this:
Report icon.JPG

Ignore the drop-down menu at the top and just type your request into the large text box captioned "Further information:"
You can put "Please replace corrupted file with this one" or something like that. Then click on Submit.
The mods will see this and make the replacement for you within the next few hours.

If you have any other problems, just let us know.

Geoff
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

christine33

Re: Have your uploads been corrupted?

Postby christine33 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:42 pm

Thank you very much!

Gregory Gleason

Re: Have your uploads (PDFs, JPGs, MP3s) been corrupted?

Postby Gregory Gleason » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:54 pm

I have an IT background in web applications and server administration. If it's not too late, I may be able to help. Let me know.
1994 Kohno Special (spruce/Brazillian)
2002 Hill Munich (spruce/Indian Rosewood)
1999 Hill Madrid (cedar/Indian Rosewood)
1972 Ramirez 1a

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Postby GeoffB » Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:16 pm

Thanks, Gregory, I'll PM you to discuss whether there's anything that can be done at this stage.

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

Musicalwires

Postby Musicalwires » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:22 am

Thanks for the heads up.
Tom

tateharmann

Postby tateharmann » Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:11 pm

What would the forum policy be for files we have from other members? I have a number of David McHarg's and other's recordings that we could use to replace the corrupted files, but I don't know if that would violate some forum rule or not.
2013 Joseph Redman Lutz/Wenge
Antonio Aparicio AA70 Spruce
"I am not fast." - Baymax

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Postby GeoffB » Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:41 pm

That would be useful in fact. Where the members in question are still active, it might be better to let them know that their files are corrupt and suggest they upload replacements, but where members haven't visited for a while then we can certainly make use of other members' copies to replace their corrupted files. If you're intending to upload a large number of them in a short space of time, please let me know first, as we may need to take steps to avoid flooding the "new posts" and "active topics" search results with too many similar postings at once.
Classical Guitar Forum.

tateharmann

Postby tateharmann » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:09 pm

Ok that sounds great! Thanks gor your help :)
2013 Joseph Redman Lutz/Wenge
Antonio Aparicio AA70 Spruce
"I am not fast." - Baymax

Return to “Public Space”