Visesnut Flight Case Review

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Dofpic

Visesnut Flight Case Review

Post by Dofpic » Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:44 am

After reading about these on the forum I decided to buy one. It arrived today. I will give my thoughts compared to other cases I have owned or had guitars delivered in. These include Bam, Accord, Hoffee, Karura, Hiscox Pro, Eastman and Calton.

Footprint - The footprint of the Visesnut is the exact same as the Bam which is as small as they come. Definitely smaller than all the others mentioned. So it will be easy to get in overheads or airline closets.

Weight - very light. The Bam is lighter but the Visesnut a very close second, followed by the Eastman.

Style -The Bam and the Accord look a bit nicer but the Visesnut looks very good. The Bam looks so nice it might be more likely to be ripped off. The Visesnut is sleek and with nice colors but not as cool as the Bam, Hoffee,Accord.

Shock absorption - Excellent here. As good or as better than any of the ones mentioned with excellent padding.

Latches - Better the the Bam and as good as any on the market made of steel and very difficult to come undone. Only three latches, I think four or five would be better but these are highly unlikely to come undone so no problem.

Insulation - This case is double walled so I am guessing it is as good as any or maybe better. I could not really know without cutting into the case. I am guessing it is better than the Bam and Eastman and as good as the Karura, Accord and Hoffee and Hiscox.

Strength Much better than the Bam, Eastman and seems equal to the others save the Karura.

Fit - this case will fit just about any guitar as it has an internal adjustment that keeps the body nice in snug yet with plenty of soft material around the body.

Overall thoughts - This case is the best one solution case out there IMO when you consider footprint, styling, weight and most important protection. It is superior to the Bam, Eastman in strength. The neck carriage is very strong and the top of the case is as good as the Hiscox in strength but not quite the Karura. A guitar with an elevated fretboard fits no problem where the Bam and Eastman is no dice. The fit and finish is very well made and fits together perfectly. If a truck was driving over it I would prefer the Karura or the old Calton but the Visesnut is so light with a small footprint making it a terrific case all around. While the price is not cheap at $800 it offers protection equal to cases that cost $400-600 more and is smaller and lighter. The clincher for me is it will fit a small box instrument like a Torres and a big box like Ramirez with no need to custom order .
Spruce,2011Fritz Ober(maple), 2015 Eric Sahlin, 2006 Greg Byers(fan not lattice)
2012 Michel Bruck ,2012 Martin Blackwell, 2001 Dominique Field
Cedar, 2014 Joshua DeJonge,

petermc61

Re: Visesnut Flight Case Review

Post by petermc61 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:01 am

Fantastic review Doffy. With that skill you will soon be writing for 'Guitar Case Review International'! :-)

Contreras

Post by Contreras » Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:13 am

Agreed ... Big plus is no need for special order ... I wonder if it will be retailed Down Under?
Put down the bagpipes ...
... and no one gets hurt.

Christopher Freitag

Post by Christopher Freitag » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:53 am

I'm glad to have this detailed review as I consider this case. But I am curious about your statement that the BAM case doesn't play nicely with an elevated fingerboard. What exactly is the issue? I'm using my BAM on such a guitar now.
Chris Freitag
cjfguitar

2013 German Vasquez Rubio Concert Special "Bernardi"; German spruce/Brazilian rosewood
2014 Garrett (Gary) Lee spruce/cedar double top; Brazilian rosewood

kdwiklund

Post by kdwiklund » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:11 pm

Agree with Chris. I have a BAM case and a guitar with an elevated fingerboard and the fit is perfect.
David Pace 2017 - cedar double-top
David Pace 2014 - spruce
Jose Oribe 1973 - spruce

Wesjr1

Post by Wesjr1 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:59 pm

kdwiklund wrote:Agree with Chris. I have a BAM case and a guitar with an elevated fingerboard and the fit is perfect.
Ditto. I too have a BAM case and my elevated fingerboard guitar (Byers) fits with absolutely no problem at all. I too would like to hear what issue(s) Dofpic has had with it. Also, not sure I agree with his opinion that the latches on the VN are superior to those on the BAM--they are both designed differently, but both are excellent IMO. The one thing I do like about the VN over the BAM is that the VN has a "real" accessories box, whereas the BAM doesn't--it has a small removable zippered bag instead.
"For 37 years I've practiced 14 hours a day, and now they call me a genius” -- Pablo de Sarasate

Christopher Freitag

Post by Christopher Freitag » Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:54 pm

kdwiklund wrote:Agree with Chris. I have a BAM case and a guitar with an elevated fingerboard and the fit is perfect.
After making my post earlier, I went to look more closely at the fit. I just got the elevated fingerboard guitar so this is a bit new to me. I do see that the first neck cradle in the BAM does NOT make contact with the back of the next, allowing the guitar to rock in the case. For now, I am switching cases, putting my new Lee guitar in my Hoffee case (which supports the neck just fine), and my Vasquez Rubio in the BAM case (which supports ITS neck just fine).
Chris Freitag
cjfguitar

2013 German Vasquez Rubio Concert Special "Bernardi"; German spruce/Brazilian rosewood
2014 Garrett (Gary) Lee spruce/cedar double top; Brazilian rosewood

kdwiklund

Post by kdwiklund » Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:26 pm

Interesting. Just checked mine out and everything is snug. I did put some of the pads where bottom of the guitar rests when I first got the case. Perhaps that is why.
David Pace 2017 - cedar double-top
David Pace 2014 - spruce
Jose Oribe 1973 - spruce

Dofpic

Post by Dofpic » Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:05 pm

The issue is if the guitar rocks in the case then that is not a good thing as when you close the case it will put pressure on the neck or on the top or both. Not good. A local Bam dealer who sells lots of them cautioned me from using them with elevated fretboards. Now with the Bam they do come with all the extra pads that you can adhere in places to make the guitar fit perfectly so you can put one on the neck cradle on the Bam to make it fit as well as other places in the case to make the box fit perfectly. But if you are lucky enough to own several guitars then the Visesnut is a much better as you adjust it to fit the guitar. The padding is also a bit like memory foam so it tends to stay in place.

Neck - If once you close the case and you see no movement of the guitar you will be fine but if it rocks at all by closing the case you have now put pressure on the top or neck or both…

The VIsesnut is just a stronger more stable case in every regard yet is almost as light as the Bam. Also when you carry it as a back pack the holes for the latches have two with separation as opposed to one on the Bam so it is more comfortable to wear as a pack and easier on and off.

Custom fit like Hoffee, Calton, Karura is the best option for pure protection, but when you consider the adjustability, footprint, weight, price and protection Visesnut is the best bet IMO. Marshall Brune has them if you are interested.
Spruce,2011Fritz Ober(maple), 2015 Eric Sahlin, 2006 Greg Byers(fan not lattice)

Charles Mokotoff

Post by Charles Mokotoff » Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:06 pm

Thank you for this review...I will consider the Visenut...my Connor does not fit nicely in a BAM and Steve cautioned me against it, validating what Dofpic says here. Some Connor owners have a BAM but it required some type of mod to the case. Some elevated fingerboards are quite subtle, e.g., my former Dammann which fit beautifully in the BAM. But my Connor and former Humphrey, with more of an extreme raised FB design, did not.

Dofpic

Post by Dofpic » Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:10 pm

I stand corrected. One guitar with an elevated fretboard fit perfectly. A second one did not. I am sure any non-elevated fretboard will fit perfectly since adjustable...The elevated ones are all different so better discuss with Marshall Brune.

JayGuitar

Post by JayGuitar » Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:38 pm

Thanks for the review. I am looking an additional flight case, currently have a karura.

celestemcc

Post by celestemcc » Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:36 pm

Just got a Visesnut for my new Connor -- Steve got it for me. Fits the elevated fingerboard very nicely. Overall a really nice case. Remarkably light, excellent fit, well-balanced. I like that you can attach shoulder straps (one, or two for backpack-style) directly to the case, vs to a case cover. Remarkably small footprint: this is a hard case that will fit in many overhead bins. Nicely padded. Early days yet but so far very impressed.
2015 Connor spruce/Indian rosewood
1978 Ramirez 1a cedar

Peter Lovett

Post by Peter Lovett » Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:08 am

It looks extremely effective. I have just visited the web site and watched the testimonial videos by the Brune family. A very effective demonstration.
1994 Jim Williams lattice braced, Cedar/Tasmanian Blackwood

pug208

Post by pug208 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:53 am

I heard comments that it was pricy for the cases are made in Thailand. But I ordered one and it was delivered quickly. Quality and craftsmanship are both impressive. Apart from the colour, there are two versions, one with the standard 3 latches and the other is 4. I ordered the latter. I'll be doing a bit of traveling in the second half of the year. Perhaps, I'd be able to give a more thorough review at end of the year.

Return to “Public Space”