Visesnut Flight Case Review

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
pug208

Re: Visesnut Flight Case Review

Post by pug208 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:49 am

Dofpic made a very good review but I have used the Visesnut case extensively enough that I can also offer some personal feedback.

I have taken the case to a number of overseas trip, e.g. from HK to Austria, Austria to France and HK to Thailand, plus returns.

Each time the case was put in the Visesnut guitar cover. The cover seems tough but it gets minor cuts by the handling equipment on the ground.

The case itself is very good in taking bumps. There are some minor visible dent but none of those has damaged the instrument stored inside.

The exterior case has a pretty bad cut in my recent trip. The cut peeled off 10 mm by 15mm of the exterior colour of the case. The cover case was also cut in the same spot. There is now a white spot at that small area. It does not bother me. I know the exterior colour is only cosmetic. However, I would not recommend spending the extra money to get the more expensive colour option.

The air tightness of the case is really quite good. I have monitored the humidity inside the case, it has been in the range of 45 to 55%. I use the two way humidifier system.

The straps that come with the case are very heavy duty but one of the hooks was lost because if one is in a hurry, the screw that tightens the hook cannot easily be undone. I must have lost it when I thought all the hooks were removed. I am impressed by the quality of the strap however.

The locking latches are very smooth to open and close. They are not close to the edge of the cover. Therefore there is less a risk of getting the instrument scratched while accidentally releasing the top of the case too soon.

The weight is very light in my opinion. It is just about 3.5 kg. Depending on the instrument put inside, the total weight with the cover can reach 6 to 7 kg.

The case has gone missing during one of the legs of travel, fault of Air France. But it was returned in the same condition it was first checked in.

Additional recommendation?

I'll put some light padding near the head of the guitar when it is put into case for flight traveling. Paddings that can offer some extra protection in case there is an incoming heavy impact. Probably it is not needed but that is the only thing I see I'd need to better prepare for my next trip.

Finally, it is still a bit early to make a judgment on durability. The price is not cheap and it shows you get what you have paid for.

bacsidoan

Post by bacsidoan » Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:21 pm

Thanks for the review. How long does a set of Humidipak last? In Hong Kong, probably forever :)

pug208

Post by pug208 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:53 pm

bacsidoan wrote:Thanks for the review. How long does a set of Humidipak last? In Hong Kong, probably forever :)
I only started using them back in April. I hope they are forever. I'll let you know.

JCguitar

Post by JCguitar » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:13 am

Now that people have had them and been using them for awhile, does anyone have any more feedback or experience with the safety and durability of the Visesnut Flight Case?

What have your additional international flight experiences been with your guitar in this case over the past year or so?
How has it been holding up, and how has it been protecting your guitar? Anybody with more feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Debussychopin

Post by Debussychopin » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:30 pm

These Visenuts look slick, alas, I won't be traveling anytime soon , let alone traveling w my guitar.
Got to take a look at one of the Bam cases after hearing much about them.

Yamaha GL1

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:10 pm

Debussychopin wrote:These Visenuts look slick, alas, I won't be traveling anytime soon , let alone traveling w my guitar.
Frankly I fail to understand the fuss about BAM. For me it wins on only one criteria - being overrated! I have about 15 cases here and the one I would happily get of first is the BAM.

Peter

larryguitar

Post by larryguitar » Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:46 am

petermc61 wrote:
Debussychopin wrote:These Visenuts look slick, alas, I won't be traveling anytime soon , let alone traveling w my guitar.
Frankly I fail to understand the fuss about BAM. For me it wins on only one criteria - being overrated! I have about 15 cases here and the one I would happily get of first is the BAM.

Peter
I suppose you're right, and that the Bam is not an exceptional case. I have one because it is the lightest case I could find to carry my guitar around the city. I was dying under the weight of a Calton case, even with the BackAxe straps, before I got the Bam. I wouldn't give the Bam to an airline but then again, I never travel with a guitar.

I might have bought a Visenut if it were available when I bought the Bam.

pug208

Post by pug208 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:39 am

Just to share with you. Mr. Visesnut was fairly frustrated with Bam. He showed me his Kohno (might have been a no 10 which I do not recall now), it had scratch marks caused by one of the hinges of the Bam used to store the instrument.
I am quite sure when the Visesnut was designed, flaws of Bam were taken into consideration.

larryguitar

Post by larryguitar » Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:59 pm

pug208 wrote:Just to share with you. Mr. Visesnut was fairly frustrated with Bam. He showed me his Kohno (might have been a no 10 which I do not recall now), it had scratch marks caused by one of the hinges of the Bam used to store the instrument.
I am quite sure when the Visesnut was designed, flaws of Bam were taken into consideration.
I'm not sure how the hinges could have scratched the guitar, as they're mounted on the outside of the case, at least they are on my case. Perhaps the design was changed over the years. The inside of the case has straps covered in a velour-like material at each of the hinge points.

It might be a good idea to push the body away from the hinges by putting more pads on the hinge side of the case. I don't see how my guitar could be scratched by this case, though.

Charles Mokotoff

Post by Charles Mokotoff » Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:58 pm

pug208 wrote:Just to share with you. Mr. Visesnut was fairly frustrated with Bam. He showed me his Kohno (might have been a no 10 which I do not recall now), it had scratch marks caused by one of the hinges of the Bam used to store the instrument.
Seems BAM has a new model: La Defense
http://www.bamcases.com/en/lines/la-def ... inium.html

larryguitar

Post by larryguitar » Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:28 pm

Charles Mokotoff wrote:
Seems BAM has a new model: La Defense
http://www.bamcases.com/en/lines/la-def ... inium.html
I believe that's the one I have, although I can't find La Defense written on it anywhere.

Charles Mokotoff

Post by Charles Mokotoff » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:53 pm

I've got one coming my way, I am hard pressed to tell the difference between it and the plain old "HighTech". Is your case fairly new?

larryguitar

Post by larryguitar » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:26 pm

Charles Mokotoff wrote:I've got one coming my way, I am hard pressed to tell the difference between it and the plain old "HighTech". Is your case fairly new?
Yes, I bought it within the last year, I believe. The badges, one on the outside and one on the inside, say "Bam ''l'original". Post some pictures of your new case so we can figure out if the new case is any different.

JohnB

Post by JohnB » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:26 pm

I'm currently researching for a new case (which maintains RH) to replace my 45 year old sturdy wooden case so this thread caught my eye.

The Visesnut case looks very interesting but I need to check whether my guitar will fit. There are no maximum guitar dimensions on the website but they are given in a brochure that can be downloaded from the website. There are two dimensions that concern me:

Lower Bout: guitar 373mm, max quoted in the brochure 371 mm
Waist: guitar 243mm, max quoted in brochure 242mm

But the brochure then states "Testing with your guitar is recommended. Some bigger dimensions may be OK."

Which leaves me no further forward, especially as there are no local suppliers of these cases.

Does anyone who owns a Visesnut case have any thoughts?
Hermanos Conde 1968, Stephen Frith 2007 "Guijoso"

celestemcc

Post by celestemcc » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:54 pm

I have one. Unless your guitar is unusually large, it should fit. It adjusts to fit most sizes ingeniously. It fits my Connor's elevated fingerboard very nicely, as well.
2015 Connor spruce/Indian rosewood
1978 Ramirez 1a cedar

Return to “Public Space”