Visesnut Flight Case Review

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
petermc61

Re: Visesnut Flight Case Review

Post by petermc61 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:30 pm

JohnB wrote:I'm currently researching for a new case (which maintains RH) to replace my 45 year old sturdy wooden case so this thread caught my eye.

The Visesnut case looks very interesting but I need to check whether my guitar will fit. There are no maximum guitar dimensions on the website but they are given in a brochure that can be downloaded from the website. There are two dimensions that concern me:

Lower Bout: guitar 373mm, max quoted in the brochure 371 mm
Waist: guitar 243mm, max quoted in brochure 242mm

But the brochure then states "Testing with your guitar is recommended. Some bigger dimensions may be OK."

Which leaves me no further forward, especially as there are no local suppliers of these cases.

Does anyone who owns a Visesnut case have any thoughts?
John

I doubt it will be a problem. Might be snug but that's OK. If worst comes to worst all you will have to do is to sand the edges of the guitar down a little bit each side. Should fit nicely then! :D

Seriously though, I suggest contact Richard Brune and buy one on approval. I would be very surprised if he would not do that.

Regards
Peter

Dofpic

Post by Dofpic » Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:48 pm

I had an Ambridge Torres copy inside a bam case that was dropped on the tarmac by the baggage handlers from the high shelf that transports it to the gate. If fell on the top of the case and then bounced to the back. It did not hit on the neck or the butt of the instrument. However the guitar was perfect no buzzes etc. The case was all scratched up but the guitar was fine. I do prefer the Visesnut though as more durable and stronger. The bam absorbs shock well which is important. However given my choice the Polyfoam case would be my choice unless you are worried about someone sitting on it or being run over.
Spruce,2011Fritz Ober, 2015 Eric Sahlin, 2012 Jochen Rothel,2006 Greg Byers(fan not lattice)
2012 Michel Bruck ,2012 Martin Blackwell, 2001 Dominique Field
Cedar, 2009 Achim Gropius,2015 Daniele Chiesa, 2014 Joshua DeJonge

larryguitar

Post by larryguitar » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:49 pm

I'm waiting for another shipment. You guys must have bought them all.

bacsidoan

Post by bacsidoan » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:05 pm

larryguitar wrote:I'm waiting for another shipment. You guys must have bought them all.
Try Kirkpatrick Guitar Studio in Baltimore. No worry about future scratches; the factory case cover is already included.

larryguitar

Post by larryguitar » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:55 pm

Thanks but I already reserved one through Richard. I'm going for the Black Pearl option. Which color did you get?

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:03 am

I have two Visesnut cases. A Copper Bronze and a Royal Blue. The Copper Bronze looks very cool. The Royal Blue not so good looking - the picture does look better that than actual blue. If you have the soft cover than the case color doesn't matter. A great, light, and very protective case it is.

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:04 am

I have two Visesnut cases. A Copper Bronze and a Royal Blue. The Copper Bronze looks very cool. The Royal Blue not so good looking - the picture does look better that than actual blue. The new red color looks intriguing. The Black & Black Bronze also look very nice. If you have the soft cover than the case color doesn't matter. A great, light, and very protective case it is. Bought them from Marshall Brune.

larryguitar

Post by larryguitar » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:19 am

Number 6 wrote:I have two Visesnut cases. A Copper Bronze and a Royal Blue. The Copper Bronze looks very cool. The Royal Blue not so good looking - the picture does look better that than actual blue. The new red color looks intriguing. The Black & Black Bronze also look very nice. If you have the soft cover than the case color doesn't matter. A great, light, and very protective case it is. Bought them from Marshall Brune.
Yeah, I think the premium colors look the best, either the Copper Bronze or the Black Pearl. I probably wouldn't use a case cover all the time, probably just in the winter. At least, that's what I used to do with my violin.

Ironwood

Post by Ironwood » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:58 am

Dofpic's original review and the subsequent commentary are all quite useful because I'm having to rethink travelling about with guitars in flight cases. I have a number of Caltons which have stood me well for the past twenty years. However, a serious back injury during the same period has made transporting one or two guitars in such heavy cases a real challenge. Kevin Aram, who built one of the guitars, had suggested a BAM case several years ago, so I went off to examine a few at the London Guitar Studio. They are quite nice to look at and quite light, but they are not flight cases. I was warned by several different dealers that whilst it might be easier to bring the case into the cabin and place it in an overhead bin, or even store in one of the closets, checking the case and having it placed in with the other luggage could prove disasterous.

The Hiscox cases are flight cases but I find they are bulky, ugly and require additional padding to keep the instrument from moving about. Either the Karura or Hoffee would be brilliant but they are quite expensive. Calton, as noted, has been reliable, but apart from the heft, the company's North American operation had real problems which, I've been assured, have been sorted since its move to Austin, TX, and a new group of craftsmen.

Which brings me to the Visesnut cases, about which I only recently learned. They may not be quite as stylish as the French BAM cases, but they appear much more sturdy and better able to keep the guitar inside motionless and well protected. But are these cases successful in keeping out excessive moisture? Furthermore, it is my understanding that with the case cover, the Visenuts should pass the often pointless TSA inspections. Has anyone any real experience with the TSA and a Visenut case?

I want to emphasise that whilst I have inspected other guitar cases, including the BAM, the Visenut was unknown to me. Apparently some of you have first-hand experience with the Visenut and with other cases currently being marketed, so I'm eager to hear more about your experiences and thoughts.

Thanks all.
Last edited by Ironwood on Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
V. E.

'72 Guild Mark II
'76 Gurian S3M
'96 Sobell Model 1 Sicilian
'97 Bown 000
'00 Aram "Hauser"
'09 Martin 000-18 Marquis
'11 Nick Apollonio 12-string Bell
'12 Martin D-41 Custom
'13 Martin M-30 Jorma Kaukonen
'17 Martin CS OMC-21
and more.

larryguitar

Post by larryguitar » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:13 pm

Hello,
Well, I own a Visenut and love it. I've never checked it on a flight though. My feeling is that the airlines can destroy any case.

I also own a BAM case and used to own a Calton. I'm sorry to hear about your back injury. The Calton nearly broke my back and would have torn off an arm if I carried it by hand. :-) I used a BackAxe strap to carry it like a backpack but it was just too heavy to carry for any distance. I live in New York City and don't own a car.

If I were checking a guitar, I would pick the Visenut over the BAM, Calton over both. I think I would buy one of those extra big cases that fit any case if I were going to check a guitar. I can't remember the name of those things but they're relatively cheap.

As for moisture protection and the Visenut, I read somewhere that the inventor walked around in a rainstorm to test it. I believe the inventor of the Visenut lives in Thailand so testing during a rainstorm should be easy!

I bought the fabric covers for both my BAM and my Visenut and use them all the time. I'll never dump my guitar on the floor by accidentally forgetting to close the latches because I always zip the cover before ever picking up the case. The Visenut fabric cover is very tight fitting and well padded and I think it will help keep out the rain. The BAM cover is nowhere close to the same level of quality and is quite loose fitting and thin.

Richard Brune thinks highly of the Visenut cases, and sells them, of course. He has a drop video on his website.

I hope this is of some help. Oh, the Visenut is slightly heavier than the BAM but is far more rugged.

celestemcc

Post by celestemcc » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:32 pm

Ditto re the covers: they're excellent, but I recommend using them full-time. I love my Visesnut case (the standard black) but it does mar relatively easily. The cover makes a big difference.
2015 Connor spruce/Indian rosewood
1978 Ramirez 1a cedar

Charles Mokotoff

Post by Charles Mokotoff » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:42 am

I like my Visesnut case a lot, zipping the cover closed can be a chore, it fits very tightly, but I always use it, the case still looks brand new as a result. I just got a new (smaller) guitar and snugging it to fit in the Visesnut was very easy.

jayjayrose

Post by jayjayrose » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:25 pm

I, too, have a Visesnut case. I have flown with it several times, but I haven't put it into checked baggage. The case is extremely trim and I had no trouble fitting in in overhead storage. The edge of the lid meshes with the edge of the bottom with a "tongue in groove" sort of fitting, so I expect it's rather water repellent. And I have the cover, too, which adds to the protection. And it is very light!

Odd, though, I don't use it routinely. I just trot it out when I know I'm going to fly with a guitar, and put the baby in there for the trip. Around town, it's mostly whichever case came with the instrument, or a Travelite case (which I really love for local use; too bad you can't get them these days).
"…that all-pervading talisman of Spanish pleasure, the guitar." -Washington Irving

Return to “Public Space”