Interesting Masterclass with Miloš Karadaglić

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
tormodg

Re: Interesting Masterclass with Miloš Karadaglić

Postby tormodg » Sat May 02, 2015 11:33 am

markodarko wrote:Here's an interesting master class where Miloš Karadaglić prods a few young students into shape. He has a really nice manner in my opinion and is interesting to watch.

Thank you for posting, markodarko! I enjoyed it a lot. Things to learn for everyone just by listening to his advice and observing his cool and easy manner of teaching.
2014 Alhambra Linea Profesional (spruce)
1994 Alhambra 6P (cedar, battered, broken and repaired)
+ various steel string and electric guitars

glassynails

Postby glassynails » Sat May 02, 2015 12:22 pm

To me though the stuff he said was all the usual cliche after watching it in it's entirety. Any one could have said all that. How come we didn't hear the students play and then hear him critique parts like you hear in other masterclasses?
"GLASSYNAILS" on Youtoob for my "no edit" - "no fakery" audio recordings. Just me, my Alhambra 7p spruce, and an Olympus ls-10 portable recorder.

BWV1079

Postby BWV1079 » Sat May 02, 2015 5:17 pm

glassynails wrote:To me though the stuff he said was all the usual cliche after watching it in it's entirety. Any one could have said all that. How come we didn't hear the students play and then hear him critique parts like you hear in other masterclasses?

Mr. Bieber, from I what I heard, they all had such serious technical issues that he probably had to focus more on major stumbling blocks that prevented adequate performances rather than discussing the finer points of interpretation. All showed a serious lack of understanding of what they were playing, too.

tom0311
Amateur luthier

Postby tom0311 » Tue May 05, 2015 3:34 pm

I thought the same glassy, but there were more important things that needed addressing first really.

I found it quite sad that the last lad didn't have any sense of when to add a bit of rubato, or inject any sort of emotion into the music. I'm by no means a great guitarist, but doing things like spreading chords and stealing a bit of time here and there is something I mess around with as a matter of course. I'm sure it is for most musicians, self taught or not. Perhaps being self taught is an advantage at times, especially if you were to get a teacher who stifles your imagination and creativity.
“There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats.”

markodarko

Postby markodarko » Wed May 06, 2015 3:15 am

glassynails wrote:To me though the stuff he said was all the usual cliche after watching it in it's entirety. Any one could have said all that.

Oh please. Did it occur to you that he said those things because they were obvious and actually needed to be said? Regardless if "anyone" could have said those things, the way he said them made him come across as a nice guy with a good instructional manner. He wouldn't have been much of an instructor if he hadn't said those things.

It seems that with some people, you just can't win. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
Negative, I am a meat popsicle.

mmapag

Postby mmapag » Wed May 06, 2015 11:34 pm

markodarko wrote:
glassynails wrote:To me though the stuff he said was all the usual cliche after watching it in it's entirety. Any one could have said all that.

Oh please. Did it occur to you that he said those things because they were obvious and actually needed to be said? Regardless if "anyone" could have said those things, the way he said them made him come across as a nice guy with a good instructional manner. He wouldn't have been much of an instructor if he hadn't said those things.

It seems that with some people, you just can't win. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Totally agree. He was graceful yet instructive with young students and very encouraging. My guess is his feedback would have had more depth with more advanced student but he gave these young people what they needed to hear at the moment. Thanks for posting this Marko!
'13 Esteve 7 SM
'75 Takamine 132 S
'99 G.V. Rubio Estudio, Cedar, Palo Escrito

mmapag

Postby mmapag » Thu May 07, 2015 12:59 am

tom0311 wrote:I thought the same glassy, but there were more important things that needed addressing first really.

Perhaps being self taught is an advantage at times, especially if you were to get a teacher who stifles your imagination and creativity.

I'd say if that's the case, you need to find a better teacher. A good teacher is exactly that. They move you forward. They show you what you need to learn next to progress. Interpretation wise, rhythm wise, technically. I see absolutely no advantage to being self taught. To paraphrase an old saying about defense lawyers, a guitar player who teaches himself has a fool for a student.
Last edited by mmapag on Sat May 09, 2015 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'13 Esteve 7 SM
'75 Takamine 132 S
'99 G.V. Rubio Estudio, Cedar, Palo Escrito

Philosopherguy

Postby Philosopherguy » Thu May 07, 2015 1:14 am

I got the feeling the video was edited and some parts were missing and this was mostly focusing on the posture, hand placement and movement, and some other small technical details. I am pretty sure they did all play more than what we saw on the video. You can see the video cut in and out in some spots from editing. But, the video was pretty obviously focused on correcting the above mentioned things. If any of you are teachers, this would be a great video to recommend to students.

I thought it was a good video. I can't remember where, but I have seen people recommend the seating position a couple of those kids were in before. It is not a very well accepted position for serious students. I can't remember the books where I saw it though. Likely they weren't very good books. I sometimes sit in regular acoustic guitar position when my back gets sore for a while. Usually when I am just learning a piece and going very slow with it to try it out. To play more seriously I go back to standard classical position.

Regards,
Martin
2013 Ramirez 130 Anos - Spruce
2013 Ramirez 4NE - Cedar
1998 Dean Harrington - Spruce
1977 Kuniharu Nobe - Spruce
1971 Yamaha GC3 - Spruce

tom0311
Amateur luthier

Postby tom0311 » Thu May 07, 2015 8:02 am

mmapag wrote:I'd say if that's the case, you need to find a better teacher.

Yeah, I'd say that's pretty obvious :) but a youngster may not realise they have a bad teacher right away.
“There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats.”

TJ2

Postby TJ2 » Thu May 07, 2015 8:32 pm

Thank you for sharing this. I know I need to follow some of the advise he gave :D

markodarko

Postby markodarko » Thu May 07, 2015 9:07 pm

tom0311 wrote:Yeah, I'd say that's pretty obvious :) but a youngster may not realise they have a bad teacher right away.

True, and not just youngsters I'd say. Anyone new to a musical instrument would have a hard time telling a good teacher from a bad teacher me thinks.
Negative, I am a meat popsicle.

Mark Featherstone

Postby Mark Featherstone » Fri May 08, 2015 4:23 am

Wonderful. Thank you so much. Can anyone identify the piece that the first performer - the girl - presented?
Francisco Navarro Concert Classical, cedar top, 630 mm scale, 50 mm nut

"The trouble with normal is it always gets worse."
Bruce Cockburn

Mark Featherstone

Postby Mark Featherstone » Fri May 08, 2015 4:32 am

TJ2 wrote:Thank you for sharing this. I know I need to follow some of the advise he gave :D

I returned to the classical guitar a year and a bit ago, and it has taken me the year to realize that I need to spend most of my time working on the exercises that Marko listed below. My hands/fingers/arms simply do not yet have the form, strength, finger independence, coordination and accuracy (among other things) to play even simple pieces well. Maybe this is why somebody once said that there is no such thing as a simple piece of music (my paraphrase).

Bruce Cockburn

larryguitar

Postby larryguitar » Sat May 09, 2015 8:46 pm

Kind of interesting how many of the students had issues with holding the guitar correctly. I would have thought that their teachers would have set them straight before this masterclass. Also, a lot of the students didn't have fingernails, another thing I would have assumed a player would have before attending a masterclass with someone of this level.

Mark Featherstone

Postby Mark Featherstone » Sun May 10, 2015 2:58 am

larryguitar wrote:Kind of interesting how many of the students had issues with holding the guitar correctly. I would have thought that their teachers would have set them straight before this masterclass. Also, a lot of the students didn't have fingernails, another thing I would have assumed a player would have before attending a masterclass with someone of this level.

I also found these things strange.

Bruce Cockburn

Return to “Public Space”