Famous pieces of repertoire you just don't like?

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Andrew Fryer

Re: Famous pieces of repertoire you just don't like?

Post by Andrew Fryer » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:09 pm

Justfun wrote:
Tom wrote:I cannot stand Asturias...this is the only Albeniz piece I really don't like.
1+
Bream and Williams playing Castilla doesn't float my boat. It sounds much better on piano.
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

Erik Zurcher

Post by Erik Zurcher » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:52 pm

There are no famous pieces of repertoire I don't like, but there are plenty renditions I don't like. I remember Ana Vidovic in concert where she played Asturias. She played it in a way as if I heard for the first time: her timing and phrasing was different and refreshing. It was an eye-opener for me. Only great artists can give that extra. Ana Vidovic added spice and seasoning to this well known piece.
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

Debussychopin

Post by Debussychopin » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:57 pm

Ana Vidovic wow, one of the big reasons I was attracted to classical guitar lol.

Yamaha GL1

Erik Zurcher

Post by Erik Zurcher » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:04 pm

Careful, Debussychopin! Ana is foremost a great artist and yes, she is lovely, charming and a quite shy lady.
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

Debussychopin

Post by Debussychopin » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:20 pm

Erik Zurcher wrote:Careful, Debussychopin! Ana is foremost a great artist and yes, she is lovely, charming and a quite shy lady.
:chitarrista: :daccord:

Yamaha GL1

Nick Clow

Post by Nick Clow » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:55 am

Justfun wrote:

Tom wrote:I cannot stand Asturias...this is the only Albeniz piece I really don't like.

1+
At, on average nearly 7 minutes long, and with the very painful repeat of the entire first section, I can no longer stomach the whole of Asturias. Not even Ana playing it! I like the mood and development of the middle section and I have seen some performers finish here and not go back for the repeat. This makes it a much more palatable 4 minute piece. In my opinion.

I recently came across the following Carlos Bonell performance which is a bit of fun and a nice spin on Asturias at less than 3 minutes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3outpXlC3I

zupfgeiger

Post by zupfgeiger » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:07 am

Yes, the quality is quite different. In a nutshell: Pianists have Beethoven, guitarists have Fernando Sor (love him nonetheless).
The secret of getting ahead is getting started (Mark Twain)

Tobias Braun, Santos copy, spruce/yew, 2017
Andrea Tacchi, Enrique Garcia model, Spruce/BRAZ, 2016
Giovanni Tacchi, Daniel Friederich copy, cedar/EIR, 2017
Alain Raifort, cedar/EIR, 2004

kirolak

Post by kirolak » Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:19 pm

I am ashamed to admit I don't much like Recuerdos de la Alhambra, it often sounds like a technical exercise to me

Polifemo de Oro

Post by Polifemo de Oro » Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:24 pm

kirolak wrote:I am ashamed to admit I don't much like Recuerdos de la Alhambra, it often sounds like a technical exercise to me

The antidote: listen to Ana Vidovic play it. She is the only player I've ever heard who knows how to play this piece. Listen to her wonderful phrasing. She lets the piece breathe; and in her hands it is not just a boring metronomic mess as you most often likely hear it played.
Last edited by Polifemo de Oro on Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rasqeo

Post by Rasqeo » Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:28 pm

kirolak wrote:I am ashamed to admit I don't much like Recuerdos de la Alhambra, it often sounds like a technical exercise to me
Probably because it is often played as a technical exercise by players who don't yet have a solid tremolo!

cliffbryant

Post by cliffbryant » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:35 pm

The antidote: listen to Ana Vidovic play it. She is the only player I've ever heard who knows how to play this piece. Listen to her wonderful phrasing. She lets the piece breathe; and in her hands it is not just a boring metronomic mess as you most often likely hear it played.[/quote]

I just listened to Ana play Recuerdos (I hadn't heard her play it previously). Marvelous indeed. Played with just the right feel....

cliffbryant

Post by cliffbryant » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:36 pm

cliffbryant wrote:The antidote: listen to Ana Vidovic play it. She is the only player I've ever heard who knows how to play this piece. Listen to her wonderful phrasing. She lets the piece breathe; and in her hands it is not just a boring metronomic mess as you most often likely hear it played.

I just listened to Ana play Recuerdos (I hadn't heard her play it previously). Marvelous indeed. Played with just the right feel....

Oh, the original quote above is from Polifemo.

Debussychopin

Post by Debussychopin » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:05 pm

I thought all this time that Recuerdos de la Alhambra was a technical exercise piece that became famous. Sort of like Chopin's etudes sets.

Yamaha GL1

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:26 pm

Recuerdos is very beautiful, but a lot of people play it as a crappy study. The point about even tremolo is not that "your tremolo must be even because it's a technical exercise"; the point is the tremolo is where the melody is, if it's played evenly. And I'm afraid the best is Yepes, although he plays it insanely fast. Perhaps he plays it that fast in order to bring out the dreaminess of the tremolo's melody? The bass line should be a gentle accompaniment to this melody. Someone here the other day posted a video of a Chinese girl thumping out the bass line so loud you couldn't hear the tremolo. And Vidovic is not very good either! I've just found 5 major versions of it on Youtube, but I'm not going to post them here and take up space. Find your own and listen to the differences.
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

Robert M

Post by Robert M » Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:01 am

Romanza

Return to “Public Space”