Famous pieces of repertoire you just don't like?

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Nick Clow

Re: Famous pieces of repertoire you just don't like?

Post by Nick Clow » Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:02 am

Recuerdos. Aargh. Repetition!

I understand why examiners don't want to hear repeats.

RoryJohn

Post by RoryJohn » Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:38 am

Nick Clow wrote:
Justfun wrote:

Tom wrote:I cannot stand Asturias...this is the only Albeniz piece I really don't like.

1+
At, on average nearly 7 minutes long, and with the very painful repeat of the entire first section, I can no longer stomach the whole of Asturias. Not even Ana playing it! I like the mood and development of the middle section and I have seen some performers finish here and not go back for the repeat. This makes it a much more palatable 4 minute piece. In my opinion.

I recently came across the following Carlos Bonell performance which is a bit of fun and a nice spin on Asturias at less than 3 minutes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3outpXlC3I
Heresy!!! Kindly go stand on that huge pile of exceptionally dry kindling for no particular reason at all please. :merci:
The horse, he kept running; the rider was bread.

Smudger5150

Post by Smudger5150 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:53 am

Some people can't resist mentioning pieces they dislike because of having heard them too many times.

However in my case, I didn't like La Torre Bermeja when I 1st heard it (on a JW CD) but now I'm getting to appreciate it more - the opposite effect!
But only from a 1 out of 5 to a 3 out of 5 rating (i.e. just ok).

And many long term favourites in many genres are 'growers' so after a few 100 more listens La Torre Bermeja will become my all-time favourite!
"Music washes away the dust of every day life." Art Blakey

"If I don’t practice for a day, I know it. If I don’t practice for two days, the critics know it. And if I don’t practice for three days, the public knows it." Louis Armstrong

ddray

Post by ddray » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:31 pm

HomerB wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:19 pm
I don't like Mozart, his music is so boring, and I never understood how someone could listen to it voluntarily.
To really appreciate Mozart, you need to listen to the music written before his time. With certain exceptions like Bach, the music was wooden, static, without life. Mozart singlehandedly transformed all of that. He gave it life.
Not quite "singlehadedly". Mozart took from Johann Christian Bach and Haydn and made his own style. I love most of Mozart...except his solo piano music, which I have always found to be unbearably glockenspiel- ish. His piano concerto writing though is usually sublime. But people are free to like or dislike whatever.

I think a lot of dislikes in this resurrected thread are just a reflection of the relatively limited repertoire of the guitar and that some things are played to death as a result.

Francisco

Post by Francisco » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:40 pm

Igor Stravinsky is known to have said: “Why is it that whenever I hear a piece of music I don't like, it's always by Villa-Lobos?”

I am not crazy about Villa-Lobos either, but at least I can sit more or less calmly through a few of his pieces. But Stravinsky's work from the 50s and 60s is a different story. I have to turn it off or go away after a very short time. Gets on my nerves. I think it could be easily adapted for torture sessions by spook organizations.
Yamaha GC42S

ddray

Post by ddray » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:54 pm

Francisco wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:40 pm
Igor Stravinsky is known to have said: “Why is it that whenever I hear a piece of music I don't like, it's always by Villa-Lobos?”

I am not crazy about Villa-Lobos either, but at least I can sit more or less calmly through a few of his pieces. But Stravinsky's work from the 50s and 60s is a different story. I have to turn it off or go away after a very short time. Gets on my nerves. I think it could be easily adapted for torture sessions by spook organizations.
Yeah I agree about Stravinsky's later work. But there's another of his (alleged?) sayings I like and kind of agree with: "Vivaldi didn't write 400 concertos; he wrote one concerto 400 times." :lol:

Francisco

Post by Francisco » Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:24 am

ddray wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:54 pm
Yeah I agree about Stravinsky's later work. But there's another of his (alleged?) sayings I like and kind of agree with: "Vivaldi didn't write 400 concertos; he wrote one concerto 400 times." :lol:
[/quote]

There is some funny musical quotes here
http://www.pgacon.com/musical_quotes.htm

Ernest Newman (a music critic) said of Stravinsky: "His music used to be original. Now it's aboriginal."

and the one about conductor Thomas Beecham saying to a musician during a rehearsal:
"We cannot expect you to be with us all the time, but perhaps you could be good enough to keep in touch now and again."
Yamaha GC42S

Ray

Post by Ray » Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:28 pm

Francisco wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:40 pm

I saw Stravinsky's Agon a few years ago at the ballet. The music was composed in 1957 so it falls in your hated time period of his works. It's a Georges Balanchine ballet for 12 dancers all dressed in black. I thought the music and the dancing was incredible! So brilliant. Stravinsky and Balanchine were great collaborators. Stravinsky was one of the greatest compositional minds, you see and hear it in all for his works even the later more cacophonous and intricate ones. :D

Ray

Post by Ray » Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:33 pm

Jedaks wrote:
Wed May 13, 2015 11:57 pm
Not pieces you are simply tired of hearing. I mean pieces you never liked the sound of.

Manuel de Falla - Homenaje.

I must not have a sophisticated ear because to me this piece sounds discordant and I get a queezy feeling when I hear it.
Sorry you feel this way about this true masterpiece, maybe if a teacher were to break it the piece up for you into smaller sections and play each section slowly for you and explain the melody, rhythm, and harmony you will warm your ears to it. Often a piece just needs repeated listenings to get used to. The use of the phrygian mode and and the Debussy quote is exotic & Spanish sounding but no way near discordant.

Altophile

Post by Altophile » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:39 am

Alright, I'll venture into these waters and commit sacrilege:

The Bouree from Bach's Lute Suite in E Minor

Da da da, da da da, da da da, da da da, da da da, da da da, da da da da da da da
Da da da, da da da, da da da, da da da, da da da, da da dadalata da

Yet the Sarabande from the same suite is among my favorites.

~Sean

zupfgeiger

Post by zupfgeiger » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:40 pm

Altophile wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:39 am

Da da da, da da da, da da da, da da da, da da da, da da da, da da da da da da da

~Sean
I agree. I love BWV 996 and play it almost every day from the prelude to the gigue. But the bourre causes fatigue. Although I must say it is not as easy as some people might think it is.
The secret of getting ahead is getting started (Mark Twain)

Tobias Braun, Santos copy, spruce/yew, 2017
Andrea Tacchi, Enrique Garcia model, Spruce/BRAZ, 2016
Giovanni Tacchi, Daniel Friederich copy, cedar/EIR, 2017
Alain Raifort, cedar/EIR, 2004

Cipher

Post by Cipher » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:35 pm

zupfgeiger wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:40 pm
Altophile wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:39 am

~Sean
I agree. I love BWV 996 and play it almost every day from the prelude to the gigue. But the bourre causes fatigue. Although I must say it is not as easy as some people might think it is.
Sorry you both feel this way about the BWV 996 Bourree - I think it's about the only piece by Bach that guitarists play that clearly shows two voices in independent counterpoint. Often times you really don't hear it because the bass part is two octaves below the melody line and it may come across as more of an accompaniment in the low range of the guitar but it is in fact a separate independent melody that is interacting with the melody above it. I always play each line separately for my students and then combine them and they're always surprised by how brilliant Bach was to create such richness and genius from two interlocking melody lines. You can also demonstrate by singing the Bourree as a counterpoint duet with the student singing the tenor part voice and the teacher the low bass voice.

Adrian Allan

Post by Adrian Allan » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:45 pm

El Decameron Negro by Brouwer

For me, it is just written down fingerpicking that makes little musical sense other than how it conveniently fits onto the fretboard.
D'Ammassa Spruce/Spruce Double Top

Ray

Post by Ray » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:34 am

Adrian Allan wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:45 pm

For me, it is just written down fingerpicking that makes little musical sense other than how it conveniently fits onto the fretboard.
Wow! That's an extremely harsh critique about what I and many others consider to be one of Leo Brouwer's best works. The guitar writing throughout is absolutely gorgeous and is as natural and idiomatic as Chopin is on the piano.

The first movement is in Sonata Form with clear short thematic motives that are developed and recapitulated. It is quite melodic and the harmony is quite beautiful, colorful, and expressive. A former professor of mine who was a veteran wind player with a major US orchestra absolutely adored the work. Other non-guitar musicians whom I respect and admire like the work as well, and I've given copies of John Williams' recording to a number of music lovers over the years who have expressed high praise for this music. It's a very effective piece in concert if it's played by a great player with beautiful tone and phrasing. Some memorable performances I've heard live are by Jason Vieaux, Alvaro Pierri, Elena Papandreou and Antigoni Goni.

I'm actually feeling quite sad that anyone on this forum would feel this way about such a beautiful work for our instrument which has precious few modern contemporary pieces in its repertoire that are of good quality and are accessible to listeners as well. :( :( :(

I guess as the latin saying goes

"De gustibus non es diputandum"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_gustib ... isputandum

For people on here who know this piece and its score I always tell my students that the "Un poco sostenuto" section measures where the recap motive goes into A has some of the most beautiful guitar writing ever penned by a composer, just a luscious and gorgeous sonority coupled with melodic beauty and harmony. Brouwer is a great genius.

MrF1

Post by MrF1 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:34 am

Ray wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:34 am
Adrian Allan wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:45 pm

I'm actually feeling quite sad that anyone on this forum would feel this way about such a beautiful work for our instrument which has precious few modern contemporary pieces in its repertoire that are of good quality and are accessible to listeners as well. :( :( :(
I'm with you, Ray. El Decameron is one of my very favorite pieces. As the old saying goes, "music is the most subjective art form".

I usually find most modern pieces really appealing, but when I hear Maw's "Music of Memory" I usually end up on the floor, curled up in the fetal position.....

Return to “Public Space”