Famous pieces of repertoire you just don't like?

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Altophile

Re: Famous pieces of repertoire you just don't like?

Post by Altophile » Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:55 pm

TBH I've never really been crazy about Rachmaninov's work in general. It's too "wallowy" and "static" if you know what I mean. And no offense to our Russian brothers and sisters but I've never really liked the work of Rachmaninov's idol Tchaikovsky either.
Oh, oh, look out for Cipher's displeasure! He doesn't like it when you dismiss a great composer's work without offering detailed reasons;-)

~Sean

DavisComposer85

Post by DavisComposer85 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:59 am

Cipher wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:42 pm
DavisComposer85 wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:27 am
For me, when playing guitar concertos, most guitarists couldn't escape from Concierto De Aranjuez.

Maybe it is out of this topic, but I honestly say I'm kind of tired to hear this piece plays by many guitarists.

I'm looking forward more great contemporary Classical guitar composers, hopefully not too much percussive technique which influenced by fingerstyle guitarists.
Sounds like you don't like the Aranjuez Concerto because it is overplayed and I agree it is, but no more and probably not nearly as overplayed as Rachmaninov's 2nd Piano Concerto which classical music audiences gladly sit through every season in city orchestras around the world. The Aranjuez is probably the guitar repertoire's most successful, accessible, and memorable work among other attributes that make it the most played concerto. Audiences love it even though guitar aficionados are probably tired of hearing it that doesn't take away from its intrinsic beauty. As somebody mentioned earlier in this thread the topic should be about famous pieces you don't like period, not those you've become tired of.

As for contemporary guitar concertos that fit your criteria I suggest you check out Stephen Goss' Guitar Concerto which has recently been expertly recorded by John Williams on his Concerto album. There's a few other nice pieces for guitar and orchestra on that album too which I'm sure you will enjoy. Let us know what you think of the Goss concerto, the middle movement is quite beautiful and is actually an orchestrated version of his lovely piece for solo guitar the Maryleborne Elegy.
Hi Clpher, I agree what you said here.

Thanks so much for the recommendation for contemporary guitar concertos! Definitely check Stephan Goss' guitar concerto!

Hopefully I can learn more in this forum.

Andrew York is my favourite guitar composer, but there are many great guitar composers out there that I don't know.

ddray

Post by ddray » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:06 am

Altophile wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:55 pm
TBH I've never really been crazy about Rachmaninov's work in general. It's too "wallowy" and "static" if you know what I mean. And no offense to our Russian brothers and sisters but I've never really liked the work of Rachmaninov's idol Tchaikovsky either.
Oh, oh, look out for Cipher's displeasure! He doesn't like it when you dismiss a great composer's work without offering detailed reasons;-)

~Sean
Well he/she will just have to be displeased. :D No accounting for taste.
"I do not like thee, Dr Fell..." :mrgreen:

piotr

Post by piotr » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:37 am

I cant' stand hearing this pieces:"Sonata Giocosa" Rodrigo and "Sonata "by Ginastera and "Sonata" by Antonio Jose.You can hear thiese pieces on every competition.It make me really sick. :evil:

Oboist

Post by Oboist » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:24 pm

Although there is no repertoire I would label with "I don't like it," I do become tired of particular recordings at times. However, a new performance of the same piece can instantly change that perspective. A great example is the recent Cliburn competition earlier this month - I watched many of the live streamed performances. This competition can be very repetitive, especially when it comes to the major piano concertos - Mozart, Rachmaninoff, Prokofiev, etc. However, the performances themselves couldn't possibly be more different, which is so interesting! Especially when they are performed on the same evening with the same orchestra.

Guitar Maniac

Post by Guitar Maniac » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:55 am

La Grima, I can't stand listening to this piece and can't understand why many guitarists like it and why it does have such great reputation.

Cipher

Post by Cipher » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:28 am

Oboist wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:24 pm
Although there is no repertoire I would label with "I don't like it," I do become tired of particular recordings at times. However, a new performance of the same piece can instantly change that perspective. A great example is the recent Cliburn competition earlier this month - I watched many of the live streamed performances. This competition can be very repetitive, especially when it comes to the major piano concertos - Mozart, Rachmaninoff, Prokofiev, etc. However, the performances themselves couldn't possibly be more different, which is so interesting! Especially when they are performed on the same evening with the same orchestra.
Not to disparage the guitar repertoire but the piano concerto rep is much more rich in terms of interpretation possibilities. A Mozart, Beethoven or Brahms concerto can withstand many different interpretive viewpoints because of the large scale structure, supreme quality of the music and endless possibilities of phrasing and the like.

zupfgeiger

Post by zupfgeiger » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:29 am

Brian Ferneyhough, Kurze Schatten II
The secret of getting ahead is getting started (Mark Twain)

Tobias Braun, Santos copy, spruce/yew, 2017
Andrea Tacchi, Enrique Garcia model, Spruce/BRAZ, 2016
Giovanni Tacchi, Daniel Friederich copy, cedar/EIR, 2017
Alain Raifort, cedar/EIR, 2004

Cipher

Post by Cipher » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:30 pm

zupfgeiger wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:29 am
Brian Ferneyhough, Kurze Schatten II
Isn't the title of the thread FAMOUS guitar pieces that we don't like? I'm pretty sure this piece by Mr. Ferneyhough isn't famous and given how complex and knotty sounding it is it probably only appeals to a very select group of listeners.

zupfgeiger

Post by zupfgeiger » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:10 pm

Famous is a big word and open for interpretation.
The secret of getting ahead is getting started (Mark Twain)

Tobias Braun, Santos copy, spruce/yew, 2017
Andrea Tacchi, Enrique Garcia model, Spruce/BRAZ, 2016
Giovanni Tacchi, Daniel Friederich copy, cedar/EIR, 2017
Alain Raifort, cedar/EIR, 2004

Cipher

Post by Cipher » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:40 pm

zupfgeiger wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:10 pm
And your interpretation of the word famous justifying listing this work in this thread is....? :)

ddray

Post by ddray » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:58 pm

Cipher wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:40 pm
zupfgeiger wrote:
And your interpretation of the word famous justifying listing this work in this thread is....? :)
Albeniz and Granados are only "famous" within a certain subset too, to be fair.

Cipher

Post by Cipher » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:39 pm

ddray wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:58 pm
Cipher wrote:
zupfgeiger wrote:
The subset being that this is a classical guitar forum? Albeniz and Granados are no doubt famous in the general classical music world as
well. Arthur Rubinstein and Alicia de Larrocha through their recordings and concerts have made these two composers very famous. Segovia as well has made the Granados Dance #5 Andaluza a classical music household tune as well. I saw Alicia 8 times over a 40 year period at Carnegie Hall where she played the Iberia and Goyescas cycles to sold out houses. If piano and classical music lovers fill Carnegie Hall to hear Granados & Albeniz then they're definitely famous composers. The only subset is that they're nationalist composers.

ddray

Post by ddray » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:45 pm

Cipher wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:39 pm
ddray wrote:
Cipher wrote:

The subset being that this is a classical guitar forum? Albeniz and Granados are no doubt famous in the general classical music world as
well. Arthur Rubinstein and Alicia de Larrocha through their recordings and concerts have made these two composers very famous. Segovia as well has made the Granados Dance #5 Andaluza a classical music household tune as well. I saw Alicia 8 times over a 40 year period at Carnegie Hall where she played the Iberia and Goyescas cycles to sold out houses. If piano and classical music lovers fill Carnegie Hall to hear Granados & Albeniz then they're definitely famous composers. The only subset is that they're nationalist composers.
Yeah. The guy merely mentions a piece that he doesn't like and he gets a pedantic lecture.

Cipher

Post by Cipher » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:58 pm

ddray wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:45 pm
Cipher wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:39 pm
ddray wrote:

Yeah. The guy merely mentions a piece that he doesn't like and he gets a pedantic lecture.
No need to be insulting, if you find my posts pedantic or you just don't like them in general then don't read them. You can also block them out in the forum settings. Sorry if I've wasted your time.

Return to “Public Space”