US Ivory Rules....

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Michael.N.

Re: US Ivory Rules....

Post by Michael.N. » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:08 am

The last thing that the string 'sees' is a metal fret. In other words as soon as you fret a note the top nut is entirely out of the equation. In that respect metal makes perfect sense for a top nut. Then again I can't say that I've ever found fault with a nut made of bone or even a hard hardwood either.
Historicalguitars.

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:52 am

Scot Tremblay wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:39 pm
Another interesting article sent by a friend:

https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-of ... mmercial-b

Pay attention to this point: "Support Limited Sport-hunting of African Elephants:"...wonder how killing them is beneficial to endangered species?
A very slow reply, but I thought I'd tag this response so everybody would know what I was referring to.

There is a very good discussion on this in Prof Michael Sandell's book "What money can't buy: the moral limits of markets" (2012). While not supporting that position, he explains the success controlled hunting has had in growing the numbers of some endangered species (eg rhino) in some countries where their numbers continue to fall in adjoining countries that have not adopted this approach. The moral dilemma is the killing of rare animals for sport vs the observed benefits of saving the species.

dory

Post by dory » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:01 am

I had thought you could use things like old piano keys and recycle them. That said, I am glad ivory is illegal. There have been experiments with giving elephants something that turns their tusks a bright and very unatteactive pink. If this works I would like to see it done much more. It is a bit sad to see elephants with pink tusks but it is a LOT better than seeing them dead. I know mammoth ivory is legal, but how can they tell the difference between mammoth and elephant ivory. I am just asking because I don't know.
Dory

Gwynedd

Post by Gwynedd » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:59 am

A guy I work with (has a large practice in our firm) had to go to freakin' NYC to sign in an antique Steinway. No ivory is used in pianos newer than like 50 years old. So all old pianos have legit ivory. Yet he had to drive to NYC and stand around for this, wasting his time. The officious people could have figured out that Steinways of a certain age can come in without this kind of abuse of a person's time. These things can be handled by proper procedure. No I think Ivory is not something we want in the US and yes, there is a small amount, relatively, used in old pianos

There should be certs and forms by known luthiers to show that their wood is Indian palosanto, not Brazilian and that should be acceptable to importation rules, when filed properly. Build a guitar, register a number for the wood you used, and the build of the guitar. Put into a computer. have a stamp inside that can be scanned.

Return to “Public Space”