Any Carles Trepat fans here?

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
RobMacKillop

Any Carles Trepat fans here?

Post by RobMacKillop » Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:32 pm

I love this performance on an 1892 Torres original, gut strung. A very tasteful player. Great camera work too.

Youtube

Published on Apr 29, 2014
Carles Trepat en el Teatro Colón de A Coruña. 9 de enero de 2014.
Guitarra: Antonio Torres (1892)
---

Programa

FERNANDO SOR
Andante largo, op. 5 nº 5

MIGUEL GARCÍA (Padre Basilio)
Minueto (07:02)
Sonata de Elami (09:17)

J. S. BACH (Tr.: M. Llobet)
Sarabande (14:50)
Bourrée (18:49)
(de la Partita I BWV 1002 para violín)

JULIÁN ARCAS
Bolero (23:05)
Soleá (26:00)
---
ISAAC ALBÉNIZ
Capricho catalán (32:50)

ENRIQUE GRANADOS
La maja de Goya (36:43)
El mirar de la maja (42:22)

MANUEL LÓPEZ-QUIROGA
Dos zambras La Salvadora (46:10) Y sin embargo te quiero (49:44)

JUAN MOSTAZO
Los piconeros (Bulerías del siglo XVIII) (53:34)
---
CONSUELO VELÁZQUEZ
Amar y vivir (58:12)

MAGÍN ALEGRE
Americana (1:03:05)

POPULAR CATALANA
El cant dels ocells (1:07:17)

Polifemo de Oro

Re: Any Carles Trepat fans here?

Post by Polifemo de Oro » Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:36 pm

I'm definitely a big fan. But this is old news by now. I had posted this on the famous Swan thread back in August.

Of course, you would have known that had you not resorted to putting certain persons on your silly FOE list. :lol: Somebody should do you the favor of informing you of this fact. I gave Mr. Trepat a very nice review. I think you'd approve. :wink:

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:46 pm

Is that so? That was before you left. When you returned, you were reinstated. We have some similar tastes..but I don't know the Swan thread.

Polifemo de Oro

Post by Polifemo de Oro » Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:48 pm

Gott im Himmel! Is that you, Rob? :lol:

Anyway, I LOVED this concert! I cannot say enough good things about Mr. Trepat--he is a true artist!

You really must familiarize yourself with the Swan thread. Very entertaining, it is.
Last edited by Polifemo de Oro on Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pat Dodson

Post by Pat Dodson » Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:55 pm

No harm in drawing attention to this Carles Trepat video again Rob. Thank you. It is very enjoyable, beautiful playing.

Forum members, old and new, who missed The Swan thread might like to explore it. There is some wonderful music there, including some excellent guitar videos but much, much more besides.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=93971&hilit=the+swan#p999465

Polifemo de Oro

Post by Polifemo de Oro » Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:59 pm

No harm at all, Pat. In fact I welcome this review of Mr. Trepat's recital. I'm sorry that it did not seem to elicit any commentary on the Swan thread as I felt it should definitely have.

When I heard it for the first time it made me want to go out immediately and--GASP--cut my nails. :lol:

Pat Dodson

Post by Pat Dodson » Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:34 am

With apologies to you Polifemo, to Rob and to Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young that last post reminded me of that great Deja Vu album track:

Almost cut my nails, it happened just the other day.
They're getting' kinda long, I coulda said it wasn't in my way.
But I didn't and I wonder why, I feel like letting my freak flag fly,
Cause I feel like I owe it to someone.

Ray

Post by Ray » Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:55 am

I'm a big fan here! :D

I really like the way Maestro Trepat plays the Antonio Jose guitar sonata, especially the last movement which he doesn't rush and speed like most other players.

Also he has a wonderful solo arr. of Granados' Intermezzo from Goyescas that's just fabulous! :D

He's an example of a great player maybe 5 or so years younger than Barrueco and Russell but for whatever reason doesn't have the recognition and fame in the guitar world that they have.

Ray

Thd5919

Post by Thd5919 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:04 am

I am a big fan of Carles too. That Torres with real gut string sounded beautiful.

Steve Ganz
Luthier

Post by Steve Ganz » Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:22 am

I am profoundly touched by the music he plays and the way he touches the instrument. He gave me a CD which is a favorite in my workshop. His rendition of the Solea by Arcas is embedded in my head and heart.
Steve

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:47 am

I must get to know him better. Is he a no-nail player? I thought I saw a thumbnail at least.

What he is doing there is close to what I would like to be doing once I get my Kevin Aram Torres around March next year, with gut strings. Similar repertoire too. I guess I don't have to now! I can just save my money, and spend my time enjoying his recordings :-) It doesn't work that way, though, does it? I'll spend lots of money, and take up thousands of hours of dedication, then end up watching this video over and over!

Kjetil Heggelund

Post by Kjetil Heggelund » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:23 am

Big fan here too! He performs sometimes with Cuarteto Casals. Think I read somewhere that he has a very old g-string on :-) This week I got his arrangements of Granados & Debussy in the mail.
Kevin Aram "Torres", 2009
Stephan Schlemper "Transparence", 2015
Whatever you can do to have a good time, let's get on with it so long as it doesn't cause a murder...FZ

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:55 am

He seeks out old Gut strings. If you look carefully at the headstock you might see all manner of things to keep them going!
Not sure why he doesn't like recently made Gut. Most people think it degrades slightly the older it gets.
When I first heard that video I breathed a sigh of relief. It was so refreshing to hear someone playing a modern Guitar that sounded somewhat different to the myriad of Nylon modern players. Make no mistake, it's the Gut strings that are responsible for that difference.
The Torres that he is playing was one of Torres unfinished instruments, maybe from Torres last year. Obviously finished by someone else. The large rosette isn't one of my favourites but that's very secondary. Delcamp member John Ray is making Carles Trepat a copy of that very instrument. . . . with Gut strings of course.
Historicalguitars.

Polifemo de Oro

Post by Polifemo de Oro » Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:27 pm

RobMacKillop wrote:I must get to know him better. Is he a no-nail player? I thought I saw a thumbnail at least.

What he is doing there is close to what I would like to be doing once I get my Kevin Aram Torres around March next year, with gut strings. Similar repertoire too. I guess I don't have to now! I can just save my money, and spend my time enjoying his recordings :-) It doesn't work that way, though, does it? I'll spend lots of money, and take up thousands of hours of dedication, then end up watching this video over and over!
I noticed that he seems to play with at least a thumb nail as well. However, in numerous interviews I've read that he does, indeed, play without nails (toque de yema). Carles had both Emilio Pujol and Eduardo Sainz de la Maza as teachers. In one very interesting interview that I read he describes how there was a certain amount of friction between these two great guitarists--the former being a proponent of playing without nails, while the latter espoused only the use of nails--and rather strongly, at that. At a certain point, apparently, de la Maza's insistence on the use of nails, along with his general disparagement of Pujol, caused a kind of falling out between de la Maza and Carles Trepat.

I just love this recital. It really made me fall in love again with this repertoire. In his beautiful, understated way of playing, Carles Trepat communicates so much more--and at a much deeper level--than so many of these latter day technical wizzes we see running around.
Last edited by Polifemo de Oro on Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:20 pm

Thanks for that info. I was looking for an excuse to place him on my Players page, and your second-hand knowledge provides the excuse I've been looking for :-)

I entirely agree, 200%, with your last sentence.

Return to “Public Space”