Any Carles Trepat fans here?

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
User avatar
RobMacKillop
Posts: 2009
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:24 pm
Location: Edinburgh

Re: Any Carles Trepat fans here?

Post by RobMacKillop » Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:18 am

I don't speak, read or understand Spanish, unfortunately, but I did think that he was saying the flamenco guitar was closer to a Torres than to the modern classical. I wasn't sure I got that right, so it is good to read Poli's post. The reason Carles' point resonated with me is that a number of years ago I put gut and silk strings on a mid-priced flamenco guitar, specifically for playing Tarrega. Everyone in my small guitar community thought I was mad, told me so, and eventually I gave in to peer pressure and abandoned the idea. Now I wish I'd had a little more self belief and confidence!
Last edited by RobMacKillop on Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
RobMacKillop
Posts: 2009
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:24 pm
Location: Edinburgh

Re: Any Carles Trepat fans here?

Post by RobMacKillop » Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:33 am

Poli - don't cut your nails! I've been speaking to a former student of Carles Trepat, who says the maestro plays with nails on all fingers and thumb, and has done since he was 17.

Poli - do cut your nails! It will sound better :-)

User avatar
Michael.N.
Posts: 6487
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:28 am
Location: UK

Re: Any Carles Trepat fans here?

Post by Michael.N. » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:03 am

Maybe he prefers very light weight guitars. The guitar in the video seems to be Cypress and the Torres looks like it's Maple. Both will keep the weight down. Generally speaking Torres and Flamenco guitars are not very far from each other. They have certain constructional aspects that are common to both. All those Torres, Hernandez and modern Flamenco guitars are built thin, often incredibly thin. In fact apart from a low action and the odd golpeador I fail to see the difference between the two.
Historicalguitars.

Polifemo de Oro

Re: Any Carles Trepat fans here?

Post by Polifemo de Oro » Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:26 pm

RobMacKillop wrote:I don't speak, read or understand Spanish, unfortunately, but I did think that he was saying the flamenco guitar was closer to a Torres than to the modern classical. I wasn't sure I got that right, so it is good to read Poli's post. The reason Carles' point resonated with me is that a number of years ago I put gut and silk strings on a mid-priced flamenco guitar, specifically for playing Tarrega. Everyone in my small guitar community thought I was mad, told me so, and eventually I gave in to peer pressure and abandoned the idea. Now I wish I'd had a little more self belief and confidence!
I think what Maestro Trepat says makes perfect sense. Flamenco guitars have remained relatively unadulterated over these many decades past. They are very light and responsive and are a more pure expression, if you like. I'm tempted to find a nice old one in order to put gut strings on it now and see what I come up with!

Wow--so the Maestro plays with nails? They must be incredibly short nails judging by the sound he produces. In the interview he does say that he played without nails when he studied with Pujol. Maybe by the time he studied with José Tomás, things had changed.

Pat Dodson
Posts: 2922
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:32 am
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Any Carles Trepat fans here?

Post by Pat Dodson » Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:15 pm

Polifemo de Oro wrote:
Wow--so the Maestro plays with nails? They must be incredibly short nails judging by the sound he produces. In the interview he does say that he played without nails when he studied with Pujol. Maybe by the time he studied with José Tomás, things had changed.
Yesterday I could find no definitive information about whether Carles Trepat currently plays with nails or without. Well done Rob! However I did find the extract below which is taken from a 1996 presentation by Rebeca Garcia Pinillos on Eduardo Saintz de la Maza. I did not post it yesterday because it refers to the situation 40 years ago, not now. However in light of your post above Poli it might be of interest.

Regards Pat

"Some anecdotal information appeared in an interview with Carles Trepat, a guitarist from Lleida, Spain. Carles Trepat widened his studies with Eduardo Sáinz de la Maza in Barcelona in September of 1974 - he had studied formerly with Pujol, and there was a slight conflict of personalities between Eduardo and Pujol which Carles found difficult to deal with. Carles played without nails and Eduardo asked him to grow his nails to play guitar. He has great memories of his musical advice. One of his requests as teacher was that Carles should not play pieces different to those he was working with Eduardo. Carles was not happy with this and did not follow his advice. Eduardo was aware, so one day he asked him to play one of those pieces he was playing anyway and Carles played a small piece composed in “Lauro’s” style. When he finished Eduardo told him that he had never heard that vals from Lauro, to which Carles replied that it wasn’t Lauro’s but his! Eduardo took his hand and deeply congratulated him, something Carles still remembers with a lot of pleasure"
Last edited by Pat Dodson on Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Frousse
Posts: 316
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:02 pm

Re: Any Carles Trepat fans here?

Post by Frousse » Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:23 pm

I came upon him while searching for Torres guitars so that I could listen to the Torres sound.. I ended up watching the entire concert. I have seen watch the video twice more.

User avatar
RobMacKillop
Posts: 2009
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:24 pm
Location: Edinburgh

Re: Any Carles Trepat fans here?

Post by RobMacKillop » Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:44 pm

I haven't had the time to watch it through at one sitting, but must have seen it three times in all, in parts.

Judging by the way the program is laid out, he seems to have done an old-fashioned three-part concert. It reminds me of all those old program running orders I've seen by the likes of early Segovia, Llobet, Barrios, Pujol. I wonder if it is time for a revival? Would you be happy with a three-part concert? How long for the breaks?

Polifemo de Oro

Re: Any Carles Trepat fans here?

Post by Polifemo de Oro » Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:02 pm

RobMacKillop wrote:I haven't had the time to watch it through at one sitting, but must have seen it three times in all, in parts.

Judging by the way the program is laid out, he seems to have done an old-fashioned three-part concert. It reminds me of all those old program running orders I've seen by the likes of early Segovia, Llobet, Barrios, Pujol. I wonder if it is time for a revival? Would you be happy with a three-part concert? How long for the breaks?
Yes, I like it. A concert should be like an Italian meal: antipasti, primi piatti, secondi piatti, e dolce! :mrgreen:

Gary Macleod
Posts: 950
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:13 am
Location: Edinburgh

Re: Any Carles Trepat fans here?

Post by Gary Macleod » Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:27 pm

RobMacKillop wrote:I don't speak, read or understand Spanish, unfortunately, but I did think that he was saying the flamenco guitar was closer to a Torres than to the modern classical. I wasn't sure I got that right, so it is good to read Poli's post. The reason Carles' point resonated with me is that a number of years ago I put gut and silk strings on a mid-priced flamenco guitar, specifically for playing Tarrega. Everyone in my small guitar community thought I was mad, told me so, and eventually I gave in to peer pressure and abandoned the idea. Now I wish I'd had a little more self belief and confidence!
Was that your Carrillo Paco de Lucia model ?... I remember you selling it, would loved to have had a go on that. What was it like?

User avatar
RobMacKillop
Posts: 2009
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:24 pm
Location: Edinburgh

Re: Any Carles Trepat fans here?

Post by RobMacKillop » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:16 pm

That seems a lifetime ago. A good guitar, but BIG. 66cms, and wide as well. It was half flamenco, half classical, rosewood back. Long gone.

Pat Dodson
Posts: 2922
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:32 am
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Any Carles Trepat fans here?

Post by Pat Dodson » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:53 pm

RobMacKillop wrote:I haven't had the time to watch it through at one sitting, but must have seen it three times in all, in parts.

Judging by the way the program is laid out, he seems to have done an old-fashioned three-part concert. It reminds me of all those old program running orders I've seen by the likes of early Segovia, Llobet, Barrios, Pujol. I wonder if it is time for a revival? Would you be happy with a three-part concert? How long for the breaks?
I think a three part concert would be fine. It'd only add 20 -30 minutes and would keep listeners fresh. The length of breaks would probably have to vary a little with the venue depending on bar, toilets etc but 20 minutes or so is practicable I'd guess.

User avatar
RobMacKillop
Posts: 2009
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:24 pm
Location: Edinburgh

Re: Any Carles Trepat fans here?

Post by RobMacKillop » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:03 pm

A beautiful performance of Llobet's arrangement of El Mestre, at a gathering by Llobet's grave. Carles is playing a Romanillos guitar.


Youtube
http://PEgJg7v7juc[/youtube]

Polifemo de Oro

Re: Any Carles Trepat fans here?

Post by Polifemo de Oro » Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:05 pm

RobMacKillop wrote:Poli - don't cut your nails! I've been speaking to a former student of Carles Trepat, who says the maestro plays with nails on all fingers and thumb, and has done since he was 17.

Poli - do cut your nails! It will sound better :-)

Rob, I was thinking about this a little more and I have a question for you. Wouldn't playing with nails just shred gut strings to pieces? I have gut strings on my lute, but in those (rare) periods in which I do play it I don't play with nails. What say ye?

Perhaps Carles Trepat just plays with a little bit longer thumb nail and the rest are cut really short? I'd love to know!

User avatar
zupfgeiger
Posts: 1794
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:12 pm
Location: Wezembeek-Oppem, Belgium

Re: Any Carles Trepat fans here?

Post by zupfgeiger » Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:24 pm

RobMacKillop wrote:A beautiful performance of Llobet's arrangement of El Mestre, at a gathering by Llobet's grave. Carles is playing a Romanillos guitar.


Youtube
http://PEgJg7v7juc[/youtube]
cf. my post on page 2 of this thread. BTW the clip is missing here.
The secret of getting ahead is getting started (Mark Twain)

Tobias Braun, Santos copy, spruce/yew, 2017
Andrea Tacchi, Enrique Garcia model, Spruce/BRAZ, 2016
Giovanni Tacchi, Daniel Friederich copy, cedar/EIR, 2017
Alain Raifort, cedar/EIR, 2004

User avatar
RobMacKillop
Posts: 2009
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:24 pm
Location: Edinburgh

Re: Any Carles Trepat fans here?

Post by RobMacKillop » Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:05 pm

Polifemo de Oro wrote:
RobMacKillop wrote:Poli - don't cut your nails! I've been speaking to a former student of Carles Trepat, who says the maestro plays with nails on all fingers and thumb, and has done since he was 17.

Poli - do cut your nails! It will sound better :-)

Rob, I was thinking about this a little more and I have a question for you. Wouldn't playing with nails just shred gut strings to pieces? I have gut strings on my lute, but in those (rare) periods in which I do play it I don't play with nails. What say ye?

Perhaps Carles Trepat just plays with a little bit longer thumb nail and the rest are cut really short? I'd love to know!

You'd have to have very smooth nails, for sure. I've never played gut strings with nails, of course, but I imagine it could be problematic. But people certainly did it, as we know. Where there's a will...

Return to “Public Space”