Any Carles Trepat fans here?

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Kjetil Heggelund

Re: Any Carles Trepat fans here?

Post by Kjetil Heggelund » Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:25 pm

Here is the man with a great "young" string quartet, Cuarteto Casals. Does it look like a Romanillos?

https://youtu.be/I5nSM53WWVE
Kevin Aram "Torres", 2009
Stephan Schlemper "Transparence", 2015
Whatever you can do to have a good time, let's get on with it so long as it doesn't cause a murder...FZ

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:58 pm

Yes, I think it is his Romanillos. I haven't listen to the Boccherini for years. Quite nice!

I was in London today, and visited the London Guitar Studio. I played a dozen or so guitars. After a while I was punch drunk. None of them spoke to me at all. I won't mention names, as many here might have them. They just didn't suit me, or talk to me. Then I spied a Kevin Aram Torres...Think John Mills drinking lager, in Ice Cold In Alex :-)

Gary Macleod

Post by Gary Macleod » Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:17 pm

RobMacKillop wrote:Yes, I think it is his Romanillos. I haven't listen to the Boccherini for years. Quite nice!

I was in London today, and visited the London Guitar Studio. I played a dozen or so guitars. After a while I was punch drunk. None of them spoke to me at all. I won't mention names, as many here might have them. They just didn't suit me, or talk to me. Then I spied a Kevin Aram Torres...Think John Mills drinking lager, in Ice Cold In Alex :-)
Ah ha ! You just said " none of them SPOKE to me" good expression :wink:

Feynman

Post by Feynman » Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:24 pm

That has to make your recent commission seem even more exciting.

Kevin Aram makes superb instruments. I keep trying other guitars but so far have found nothing I like more than the Aram I own. Still, I don't learn from this and am perpetually shopping.
-mitch

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:51 pm

It was like all the other guitars were saying, "Hey, look at me! Aren't I clever?!". And all the while the Aram Torres was quietly humming a soft melody to its self, content in its own world. Reminds me of the performer in the title of this thread.

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:54 pm

To be honest, I think you have to be in a certain place for these guitars to mean something to you. There are times when I perhaps might have wondered what the fuss was all about. But to my sensitivity these days, they are just what I'm looking for. As they say, your mileage may vary.

Gary Macleod

Post by Gary Macleod » Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:18 am

Fantastic performance of El Albaicin by Albeniz here, this is seriously difficult music played beautifully.

http://youtu.be/kzufzH16tEc

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:08 am

Agreed! I have that CD on order, on its way. Very much looking forward to it.

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:56 pm

The gut strings in the video are from the 1900s, believe it or not...

From Carles's Granados recording:

"Pirastro gut strings and silk early twentieth century, from the case of a guitar that belonged to Enrique Garcia Esteve Magi, a pupil of Tarrega and Llobet."

Don't tell me gut is not economically viable ;-)

Polifemo de Oro

Post by Polifemo de Oro » Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:38 am

Gary Macleod wrote:Fantastic performance of El Albaicin by Albeniz here, this is seriously difficult music played beautifully.

I hadn't seen this video. Thanks, Gary.

Oh, I would hate to see the score to this. It sounds hugely difficult. I think this man has more musicality in his little finger than most guitarists playing before the public today have in all of theirs combined.

Luis_Br

Post by Luis_Br » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:40 pm

I am also a fan and I have already written about him here. I have posted a link to his concert last year, right after he uploaded to YouTube. I also have already posted his soundcloud channel with the Granados and Llobet. I also posted about his great work with Llobet archive "rediscovering" and recording Lopes-Chavarri first sonata for guitar (dedicated to Llobet). Chavarri wrote 2 great sonatas hardly played by guitarists.

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:45 pm

Good to know, Luis. No harm in seeing these things posted again.

Gary Macleod

Post by Gary Macleod » Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:01 am

Gary Macleod wrote:Fantastic performance of El Albaicin by Albeniz here, this is seriously difficult music played beautifully.

It's incredible to think that only a couple of decades ago William's playing Asturias was seen as the height of virtuoso Spanish guitar playing, I now teach it to some of my better school pupils !!. What Carles has done here is really pushing the possibilities of guitar technique into ground breaking territory, how long now before all of Iberia is played on solo guitar?

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:23 am

He seems to be at the limit of his own technique, given that it's a live performance. The CD recording is of course perfect, but I imagine there might well have been a retake or two. Meanwhile, I'm still struggling to play Adelita exactly how I hear it...

acmost9

Post by acmost9 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:28 am

Beautiful playing & sound, so 1892, jeez...and I apologize for not really knowing what the major differences are between the iconic guitar designers/builders but what scale would you say that guitar neck is? TIA!

Return to “Public Space”