Any Carles Trepat fans here?

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
RobMacKillop

Re: Any Carles Trepat fans here?

Post by RobMacKillop » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:57 pm

Gary Macleod wrote:Does he have a website, I can't find any way to contact him regarding buying his arraignments.
All his arrangements are for sale here: http://seemsa.com/es/venta-de-obras/sea ... w=category

Gary Macleod

Post by Gary Macleod » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:20 pm

RobMacKillop wrote:
Gary Macleod wrote:Does he have a website, I can't find any way to contact him regarding buying his arraignments.
All his arrangements are for sale here: http://seemsa.com/es/venta-de-obras/sea ... w=category
Thanks Rob, there's a good selection but unfortunately not the Albeniz.

jayjayrose

Post by jayjayrose » Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:04 am

Also a fan. One of my younger student's mom took a sabbatical in Barcelona. While there they found a new teacher for the girl and when I visited them last October, the new teacher gave me one of Trepat's CDs. I'd never heard of him before, but now I'm in the loop. Didn't realize he played without nails, but it makes sense given the sound he gets. Also the use of gut strings. Might try that myself some time. Once I get the Torres ;-)
"…that all-pervading talisman of Spanish pleasure, the guitar." -Washington Irving

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:35 pm

As mentioned above, he does play with nails.

jayjayrose

Post by jayjayrose » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:49 pm

Thank you, Rob. I have the nails, might try the gut strings, or nylgut, some time.
"…that all-pervading talisman of Spanish pleasure, the guitar." -Washington Irving

markworthi

Post by markworthi » Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:03 pm

By the way, since I like his playing so much, it would be good to be able to refer to him in spoken conversation. So, what is the proper pronunciation of "Carles Trepat"? I am franc-ifying it: "Carl Traypa", with an accent on the last syllable. Is this even close?

Mark

Steve Ganz
Luthier

Post by Steve Ganz » Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:29 pm

Carles: like the more familiar Carlos,but a short e sound and a soft s.
Steve

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:53 pm

I've no idea. I still have problems with Llobet. One friend told me a Catalan friend of his pronounced it Shjo-Bet. Thats a soft J at the beginning, and a pronounced t at the end, as in laying a bet. Not L-yo-bay, as I often hear it pronounced.

markworthi

Post by markworthi » Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:32 pm

Steve Ganz wrote:Carles: like the more familiar Carlos,but a short e sound and a soft s.
Got it!
RobMacKillop wrote:I've no idea. I still have problems with Llobet. One friend told me a Catalan friend of his pronounced it Shjo-Bet. Thats a soft J at the beginning, and a pronounced t at the end, as in laying a bet. Not L-yo-bay, as I often hear it pronounced.
Thanks, Rob. Maybe it's Tray-pot (with the t pronounced). Others will know more, I bet.

yutthasak

Post by yutthasak » Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:29 pm

I listened to him live in Alicante about a year ago. Truly an artist.

LukeMarsden

Post by LukeMarsden » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:54 pm

discovered him a few days ago - stunning!!!!!

Does he detune his guitar?

What to know more!

Lovely sound

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:28 pm

Yes, he does when using gut strings on his Torres. Check out his free stuff on SoundCloud.

Francisco

Post by Francisco » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:55 pm

I had not yet had a chance to watch the entire concert, which is the most memorable guitar performance I have ever seen.

At 53:34 Carles plays his version of Los piconeros, and I will give a bit of background to this piece because it is a very well known old song in the Spanish popular repertoire, and I suppose hearing an instrumental version of a song is a very different experience if you’ve never heard the song. The song was first recorded by Conchita Piquer in the late 30s or early 40s. The words were written by Ramón Perelló, and the music by Juan Mostazo, from Sevilla. These two wrote many songs for Piquer. It is supposed to be based on 18th century bulerías.

The song became very popular, being extremely contagious, both the lyrics and melody. I was a child in the 1960s, and back then it was still very common for women in Spain to sing pretty loud while doing their domestic chores. We had two neighbours who sang well and we could hear them through the open windows in the inside patio of the building. One of them had this song in her repertoire and sang it very well and very often, she must have learned it in her youth in the 1940s. The song never quite disappeared from popular music, with various new versions by other singers coming up through the decades. But the one by Concha Piquer is definitely the “standard”. If you search youtube for “Concha Piquer - Los Piconeros” you will find it.

Now, saying that there are better versions of "Los piconeros" than the one by Concha Piquer would be a kind of blasphemy of the same order than saying, for example, that there might better versions of “Don’t Explain” than the one by Billy Holiday. That’s not my intention. Still, the song being great to begin with, is highly adaptable to all kinds of styles. The most pleasant modern version I am aware of (a much mellower version than Piquer’s, with a slightly jazzy arrangement) is the one by the very talented Romanian singer Maria Raducanu in a filmed live performance for a French program called “Mezzo Voce” by Mareterraniu Productions. Maria performed on this program in 2009, accompanied by a Swedish guitarist, a Canadian contrabassist, and a German percussionist in a kind of intimate, living room-like setting. Very nicely done. You can find it by searching for “Los Piconeros - the beauty of Maria's voice” inside youtube.
Or, if you want to see the entire performance by Maria on that show, it is freely available in the website of the producer itself, here: http://www.mareterraniu.com/?p=Mezzo-Vo ... a-Raducanu.

Once you’ve heard the song, you will probably hear the Trepat version in a slightly different light. Carles Trepat is just great!

markworthi

Post by markworthi » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:46 pm

Francisco wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:55 pm
I had not yet had a chance to watch the entire concert, which is the most memorable guitar performance I have ever seen.

At 53:34 Carles plays his version of Los piconeros, and I will give a bit of background to this piece because it is a very well known old song in the Spanish popular repertoire, and I suppose hearing an instrumental version of a song is a very different experience if you’ve never heard the song. The song was first recorded by Conchita Piquer in the late 30s or early 40s. The words were written by Ramón Perelló, and the music by Juan Mostazo, from Sevilla. These two wrote many songs for Piquer. It is supposed to be based on 18th century bulerías.

The song became very popular, being extremely contagious, both the lyrics and melody. I was a child in the 1960s, and back then it was still very common for women in Spain to sing pretty loud while doing their domestic chores. We had two neighbours who sang well and we could hear them through the open windows in the inside patio of the building. One of them had this song in her repertoire and sang it very well and very often, she must have learned it in her youth in the 1940s. The song never quite disappeared from popular music, with various new versions by other singers coming up through the decades. But the one by Concha Piquer is definitely the “standard”. If you search youtube for “Concha Piquer - Los Piconeros” you will find it.

Now, saying that there are better versions of "Los piconeros" than the one by Concha Piquer would be a kind of blasphemy of the same order than saying, for example, that there might better versions of “Don’t Explain” than the one by Billy Holiday. That’s not my intention. Still, the song being great to begin with, is highly adaptable to all kinds of styles. The most pleasant modern version I am aware of (a much mellower version than Piquer’s, with a slightly jazzy arrangement) is the one by the very talented Romanian singer Maria Raducanu in a filmed live performance for a French program called “Mezzo Voce” by Mareterraniu Productions. Maria performed on this program in 2009, accompanied by a Swedish guitarist, a Canadian contrabassist, and a German percussionist in a kind of intimate, living room-like setting. Very nicely done. You can find it by searching for “Los Piconeros - the beauty of Maria's voice” inside youtube.
Or, if you want to see the entire performance by Maria on that show, it is freely available in the website of the producer itself, here: http://www.mareterraniu.com/?p=Mezzo-Vo ... a-Raducanu.

Once you’ve heard the song, you will probably hear the Trepat version in a slightly different light. Carles Trepat is just great!

Very interesting, Francisco. I love these old songs, and only wish I could understand Spanish a bit better.

Here's a related thread you might find interesting:

http://classicalguitardelcamp.com/viewt ... 2#p1123454

Please note: the library links in that thread now seem to go to different songs from the ones I intended; but these ones are correct:

La Salvaora

http://bdh.bne.es/bnesearch/CompleteSea ... geNumber=1

Tatuaje

http://bdh.bne.es/bnesearch/CompleteSea ... geNumber=1

Carceleras del Puerto

http://bdh.bne.es/bnesearch/CompleteSea ... geNumber=2

Best regards,

Mark

Francisco

Post by Francisco » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:54 am

markworthi wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:46 pm

Very interesting, Francisco. I love these old songs, and only wish I could understand Spanish a bit better.

Here's a related thread you might find interesting:

http://classicalguitardelcamp.com/viewt ... 2#p1123454
Thank you, Mark, for those links. I will add the info about Los piconeros to that thread.

Return to “Public Space”