Shand Concerto

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Shand Concerto

Postby Stephen Kenyon » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:07 pm

Following a recent discussion hereabouts of Shand's output I was prompted to purchase the Concerto (ed Orphee) and the solo volume I didn't already possess, (Gendai).

The concerto edition's introduction speaks in the future tense of performances in 1999 by Yamashita in Taipei (with strings) and Robert Trent in S Carolina (with piano). One assumes these happened - have there been any others since then?

Graham Wade's "The Art of Julian Bream" mentions JB performing it in 1948 with piano. Have there been any UK performances with the reconstructed string parts?

And have there been any recordings?

Naturally, I have googled these questions without success.

Stephen
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Re: Shand Concerto

Postby Stephen Kenyon » Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:12 pm

Partly to bump this topic in hope somebody may have an idea about the performance of the concerto with strings..

And partly because I've now read through the Gendai ed Jermer edition, here are some points about it. Partly for anyone thinking of getting it, and in comparision with the Mel Bay Yates edition I've had for ages.
First the good things. Gendai do good engraving, and I only spotted one mistake. The Yates is not as nicely engraved and is more spread out than necessary; = page turns! The Jermer edition has no page turns.
The choice of pieces presents very few overlaps with Yates but they are still, almost all, interesting pieces. They are mostly however very much lighter and shorter than the Yates, who includes eg the large Fantaisie Irlandaise. They mostly seem to be of a fairly slow tempo, and on average are probably a bit easier (than the Yates ed).
There is a reduced (x4) facsimile of each piece in the back.
Jermer has a short introductory essay and mentions things he has changed. In one case he mentions 'slightly' abridging a piece in which he has in fact cut out a substantial amount and added a tempo. If I actually learn any of these I think I will work from enlarged copies of the facsimilies.
The biggest negative is the CD. I'd assumed it was recorded for the purposes of demonstrating the pieces as they are all so unfamiliar. It turns out the CD was already recorded but didn't sell well enough due to the company's "limited distribution facilities". Hm. Well it might have been that or it might have been that the player managed to be a combination of very reliable and accurate, and monumentally boring. It just bumps the price of the book unnecessarily. But I guess in the end has a use in not giving the purchaser any particular steer in how to play any of these pieces.

There are easter eggs! Leave the CD running and there are two songs, not mentioned in the book.

All in all I think the pieces between the Yates and Jermer editions illustrate the need for a comprehensive facsimile edition of the entire output.
Louis Panormo (1838)

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Postby Stephen Kenyon » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:06 pm

If I may, another bump to the original question about the concerto. I am now seriously considering mounting a performance of the piece with a string quartet (and another piece TBA) and am curious to know if anybody has any idea whether the concerto has ever been performed with strings.

Its taken a couple of intensive practice sessions to get the measure of the outer movements. The last one is an absolute monster in terms to length, due to some serious repetitions, and I can't help thinking this has been a material factor in putting people off the piece. While there are a few rather awkward corners there is nothing massively virtuosic about the thing ... which on reflection might be another factor steering people away from it. But that relatively modest technicality suits me just fine. I do worry though that for the last movement not to send everybody including the players into a coma it will have to be inconveniently rapid. That's the kind thing that's difficult to assess until hearing the music with the full ensemble, so we'll have to wait and see.
Louis Panormo (1838)

Adrian Allan

Postby Adrian Allan » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:32 pm

Sorry I can't answer your questions, but I am intrigued by the forgotten guitar composer from Hull.

I have the Yates book somewhere and have played through it - am I right in saying that the musical language seems to owe quite a lot to the styles of the Edwardian drawing room and parlour style? I have quite a collection of Edwardian ballads in my piano sheet music collection.

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Postby Stephen Kenyon » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:41 pm

Adrian Allan wrote:Sorry I can't answer your questions, but I am intrigued by the forgotten guitar composer from Hull.

I have the Yates book somewhere and have played through it - am I right in saying that the musical language seems to owe quite a lot to the styles of the Edwardian drawing room and parlour style? I have quite a collection of Edwardian ballads in my piano sheet music collection.

Not quite forgotten - ! - but yes much of it is very drawing room. The ones I like best are the energetic dance type pieces especially The Gnomes, but several are quite similar, bouncy pieces in E minor.
Louis Panormo (1838)

Adrian Allan

Postby Adrian Allan » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:45 pm

Stephen Kenyon wrote:
Adrian Allan wrote:Sorry I can't answer your questions, but I am intrigued by the forgotten guitar composer from Hull.

Not quite forgotten - ! - but yes much of it is very drawing room. The ones I like best are the energetic dance type pieces especially The Gnomes, but several are quite similar, bouncy pieces in E minor.

If I have time I will drag out the music and analyse the chords. I think this musical language is quite unique in the guitar repertoire and deserves wider exposure.

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Postby Stephen Kenyon » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:54 pm

Adrian Allan wrote:....
If I have time I will drag out the music and analyse the chords. I think this musical language is quite unique in the guitar repertoire and deserves wider exposure.

That would be interesting!
Louis Panormo (1838)

tyke

Postby tyke » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:47 pm

Stephen, in case you didn't know, there is a guitarist here in North Wales who has a special interest in Shand and who has, I believe, a large collection of his music.

If you feel it would be useful to contact him (if you haven't already) his details are at

http://www.jonathanrichardsguitar.co.uk/

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Postby Stephen Kenyon » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:01 pm

tyke wrote:Stephen, in case you didn't know, there is a guitarist here in North Wales who has a special interest in Shand and who has, I believe, a large collection of his music.

If you feel it would be useful to contact him (if you haven't already) his details are at

http://www.jonathanrichardsguitar.co.uk/

Spoke to JR on the phone last week! :merci:
Louis Panormo (1838)

Return to “Public Space”