Alternative to Sibelius?

Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, WMV, MOV, OGG, AVI, Authors' rights

Composers' Workshop
Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.

Once you have subscribed to the 002 group, you can attach the following types of files to your messages:
Audio : .mp3 .ogg .wav .flac
Video : .avi .flv .mov .wmv
Score : .pdf .jpg .gif .png
Finale: .mus
Per Lindhof

Alternative to Sibelius?

Post by Per Lindhof » Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:52 pm

Dear all
I have made a lot of notation of my pieces with Avid Sibelius 7.1.
I'm looking for another software for writing scores for classical guitar, as Sibelius has appeared to be extremely complex to figure out and very slowly to work with (and don't mention the price :-)). I have spend hours and hours finding solutions on simple functions so now I wan't to quit it.

Some years ago I had Guitar Pro 5. It was easy and oriented towards guitar but also had some limitations.
Does anyone of you have experience with score notation programs that are easy to work with and come out with nice graphics?

Kind regards
Per Lindhof

Philosopherguy

Re: Alternative to Sibelius?

Post by Philosopherguy » Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:05 pm

I tend to like to use MuseScore. It's free, so the price is right. The scores I have done have worked out well and look nice. No complaints anyways. Note entry has been good and its fairly easy to use. You should try it for yourself. Do the tutorials that come with the program and you will easily get to know the basics. Then, I just keep a browser open for the online help and just search for whatever I need to do that isn't the "norm". It's easy to figure out.
2013 Ramirez 130 Anos - Spruce
2013 Ramirez 4NE - Cedar
1998 Dean Harrington - Spruce
1977 Kuniharu Nobe - Spruce
1971 Yamaha GC3 - Spruce

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:09 pm

I agree with Philosopherguy, you should look at MuseScore (https://musescore.org). This free, open source program, has recently been updated to version 2 and is a very powerful and fully-featured application (it will, for example, handle early music notation such as lute tablature and figured bass). Like all complex notation programs it requires a little time to learn, but it all seems pretty clearly set out and better in this respect that some of the commercial programs. I currently use Sibelius (mostly) but, as I have said before, if i were starting out now as an arranger or composer I would definitely choose MuseScore.
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008) and Paul Fischer (1995)
Yamaha SLG 130NW silent classical guitar (2014)

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:54 pm

Keep yours eyes out for a new software release from Steinberg, who hired most of the folks made redundant from Sibelius by Avid, and gave them the time and space to develop a new system from the ground up. There's no date for release yet, but personally I'd wait for it unless you in a major hurry. Search online for Steinberg notation programme and the blog should come up.
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

Per Lindhof

Post by Per Lindhof » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:21 pm

Thanks a lot
I'm impressed :-)
I downloaded Musescore, and it seems to be seriousely faster to use and understand than Sibelius. In less than half an hour I could do what took me days to achieve earlier.
Fingering for guitar is part of the program too and seem easy to use. It seems like it's made for guitarists.
I will print the score to see if layout is useable too.

Why is it free? I just wonder? My sibelius (student edition as I am a teacher) was something like 250 usd...

Kind regards
Per Lindhof

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:43 pm

Per Lindhof wrote:Why is it free? I just wonder? My sibelius (student edition as I am a teacher) was something like 250 usd...
Because it's open source software, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_and_ ... e_software.
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008) and Paul Fischer (1995)

Per Lindhof

Post by Per Lindhof » Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:50 am

Hi all

Scores came out of the printer in exactly the same graphic quality as Sibelius. I'm still impressed.

Pogmoor: Thank you for the link. But how do the people creating and supporting the open source make a living (a bit off topic question I know)?

Sibelius is extremely expensive.
Musescore is free
Quality is the same

Why buy?

All the best
Per Lindhof

cadiz

Post by cadiz » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:15 am

Note that a complete user guide was released a few months ago (available on Amaz ...). Just type "Mastering Musescore, Marc Sabatella". Would definitely recommend. Very clear and fully documented (400 pages)
Also note that the release of version 2.0.3 is approaching.
No date set for now. But hopefully in a few short months?
A fantastic version (I can testify, I test every day) with bug fixes for the most part, but also with new features (for example, there will be six font/styles, instead of two with 2.0. 2 - for entering early music notation in Tabs: three for the Renaissance period, three for the Baroque period)
Among other useful things... :D
Last edited by cadiz on Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Les Backshall
Luthier

Post by Les Backshall » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:29 am

Per Lindhof wrote:...how do the people creating and supporting the open source make a living (a bit off topic question I know)?
I think to a large extent they rely on donations from satisfied users. You can use PayPal to make a contribution.

Les
Lester Backshall, Guitar Maker - Aylesbury UK

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:34 am

Per Lindhof wrote:Pogmoor: Thank you for the link. But how do the people creating and supporting the open source make a living (a bit off topic question I know)?
I'm not sure I can answer that very fully. MuseScore does have some sources of funding, direct donations, sales of the book "Mastering MuseScore" (which has turned out to be very popular and is worth getting) and 'Pro' subscriptions to the MuseScore online scores site. In addition, though it has a small number of main developers I believe there is a significant number of people with programming skills who donate their time free. I think there is at least one forum member who is involved in the MuseScore project who perhaps may see this and give us more of an answer...?
Eric from GuitarLoot

pmiklitz

Post by pmiklitz » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:04 pm

+1 for Musescore.

Peter
Dringt durch des Aberglaubens Nacht, die Euch zu finstern Köpfen macht. Christian Fürchtegott Gellert (1715 - 1769)

brooks

Post by brooks » Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:08 pm

Mahler? (A confession that probably belongs in the "you know you're old when" thread, but that's what came into my head when I first saw this title :sage: )

Schneider

Post by Schneider » Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:48 pm

:lol:
Well done brooks !

Hi Per,
Per Lindhof wrote:[...] I'm looking for another software for writing scores for classical guitar, as Sibelius has appeared to be extremely complex to figure out and very slowly to work with (and don't mention the price :-)). I have spend hours and hours finding solutions on simple functions so now I wan't to quit it. [...]
Have you seen this thread : viewtopic.php?p=1005999#p1005999

Cheers,
Pierre
I went up into the attic and found a Stradivarius and a Rembrandt.
Unfortunately Stradivarius was a terrible painter and Rembrandt made lousy violins.

Per Lindhof

Post by Per Lindhof » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:38 am

Thanks a lot to all of you.

As it is now MuseScore does the job very well indeed, and I'm back into writing.

I didn't check Mahler though :-)

All the best
Per Lindhof

Michael McGrath

Post by Michael McGrath » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:04 am

In defense of Sibelius (I must use it for School), it is unbelievably fast once you master all the hotkeys and get used to that insane ribbon menu system introduced in 7. In addition, the sound packs are phenomenal, the amount of plug ins are staggering, and you can tweak the playback in literally anyway imaginable, as well as the engraving itself.

If you are only engraving notation or need to hear something play back quick and dirty, Musescore is a great choice. However... If you need a Formula 1 car opposed to a Sedan you want Sibelius.

Sibelius is really for the power-user, containing many features not used by anyone except professionals or students. Heck there is even an option to check for parallel 5ths!

It's Photoshop vs. GIMP. :P

P.S There is guitar fingering in Sibelius, for both strings, left and right hand, as well as tab, chord diagrams, etc. Lute tab, medieval notation, are all supportable via the plug in system (I am 90% sure about this)
Armed with Book, Forum, and Guitar, I will bare my teeth and face the world! Music is a way of thinking, an art. There is nothing more demanding, and nothing more rewarding.

Alvarez-Yari CYM-75 Masterwork

Return to “Composers' Workshop”