Alternative to Sibelius?

Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, WMV, MOV, OGG, AVI, Authors' rights

Composers' Workshop
Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.

Once you have subscribed to the 002 group, you can attach the following types of files to your messages:
Audio : .mp3 .ogg .wav .flac
Video : .avi .flv .mov .wmv
Score : .pdf .jpg .gif .png
Finale: .mus
pogmoor

Re: Alternative to Sibelius?

Post by pogmoor » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:33 am

Michael McGrath wrote:P.S There is guitar fingering in Sibelius, for both strings, left and right hand, as well as tab, chord diagrams, etc. Lute tab, medieval notation, are all supportable via the plug in system (I am 90% sure about this)
I've used Sibelius for lute tablature. It's quite good though you have to 'fake' some signs. Musescore is also pretty good at lute tablature as I have illustrated here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=88166&p=1083870#p1083870.
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008) and Paul Fischer (1995)
Yamaha SLG 130NW silent classical guitar (2014)

Michael McGrath

Post by Michael McGrath » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:26 pm

pogmoor wrote: I've used Sibelius for lute tablature. It's quite good though you have to 'fake' some signs. Musescore is also pretty good at lute tablature as I have illustrated here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=88166&p=1083870#p1083870.
Thanks Pogmoor, now I am 100% sure ;)

You can add your own signs and symbols to the library as well, so if you use it on a regular basis that could be a solution to the short coming.

Anyway I don't want to sound like a Sib salesman :P
Armed with Book, Forum, and Guitar, I will bare my teeth and face the world! Music is a way of thinking, an art. There is nothing more demanding, and nothing more rewarding.

Alvarez-Yari CYM-75 Masterwork

vesa

Post by vesa » Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:29 am

I agree with Michael McGrath. Sibelius does everything needed in music engraving but needs a great effort from users part.
I would not recomend it to others than professionals and only if they intend to use on daily basis.
It took me 1-2 years every day practice and reading the manual before I came to its benefits.
Now it feels like jumping in wellworn Nikes, everything goes fast and very smooth.
Vesa Kuokkanen

Antonio Marin nr. 813 1995 (Bouchet)
Vesa Kuokkanen 2016

Logan G

Post by Logan G » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:40 pm

I've been a user of MuseScore now for several years and I love it. I saw using Finale but that just became way to expensive. It's true Muse score is not the Ferrari of the notation world, but for free it does exactly what I need it to.

Return to “Composers' Workshop”