Collective arranging - Purcell, Air in D Minor.

Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, WMV, MOV, OGG, AVI, Authors' rights

Composers' Workshop
Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.

Once you have subscribed to the 002 group, you can attach the following types of files to your messages:
Audio : .mp3 .ogg .wav .flac
Video : .avi .flv .mov .wmv
Score : .pdf .jpg .gif .png
Finale: .mus
David

Collective arranging - Purcell, Air in D Minor.

Postby David » Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:00 am

Like many of us, the music I play has already been transcribed\arranged for guitar. On and off, over the years, I have dabbled in arranging music but due to a basic lack of knowledge & skill have not produced anything vaguely memorable. Some of the other threads clearly suggest that others would also like learn or improve their skills in this area.

Anyway, getting to the point I have attached a piece by Purcell written for piano, it's an Air in D minor for the members of Delcamp to arrange for CG. I have deliberately chosen a simple piece so that the basic concepts and techniques can be explored. If this works, I will post other pieces of music & encourage others to do the same*. Hopefully, we will eventually not only gain new skills but also a collection of pieces arranged by our members.

NB. The attached piece was obtained from MusOpen

*Before posting any music make sure it is in the public domain (copyright free), or you have the permission of the copyright owner.

David
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"No amount of experimentation can ever prove me right; a single experiment can prove me wrong." - Albert Einstein

pogmoor

Re: Collective arranging - Purcell, Air in D Minor.

Postby pogmoor » Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:09 pm

Well, here's what I would do with it:
Purcell-air.pdf

...And this is how I go about it:
1) Import the original pdf into PhotoScore and read it (which it does perfectly as it is a clear and simple score).
2) Export to Sibelius where it opens on a grand staff, just like the original.
3) Add a guitar staff and paste in each part separately.
4) Delete the grand staff, so all the music is in the guitar staff.
5) Notice that the range of the music is too great for the guitar, so drop part 1 by an octave.
6) Tidy up by dropping 1;4 part 2 by an octave; ditto 9;1 and 11;4**
7) ...And there, you have your arrangement!

**(here I'm using the convention of designating the position in a measure by counting the number of notes/chords irrespective of their duration)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008) and Paul Fischer (1995)
Yamaha SLG 130NW silent classical guitar (2014)

David

Postby David » Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:59 am

pogmoor wrote:Well, here's what I would do with it:
Purcell-air.pdf
...And this is how I go about it:
1) Import the original pdf into PhotoScore and read it (which it does perfectly as it is a clear and simple score).
2) Export to Sibelius where it opens on a grand staff, just like the original.
3) Add a guitar staff and paste in each part separately.
4) Delete the grand staff, so all the music is in the guitar staff.
5) Notice that the range of the music is too great for the guitar, so drop part 1 by an octave.
6) Tidy up by dropping 1;4 part 2 by an octave; ditto 9;1 and 11;4**
7) ...And there, you have your arrangement!

**(here I'm using the convention of designating the position in a measure by counting the number of notes/chords irrespective of their duration)

Just noticed that years that Purcell was born and died are anagrammatic, 1659 & 1695. This has nothing to do with the piece, probably says a lot about me, I guess.

Eric

Thanks for your reply. PhotoScore looks interesting, if a little dear.

One of the reasons I chose this piece beyond it's apparent simpleness was the range from bass to treble. I wanted to see how people would handle this.

Basically, you lowered the treble (part 1) by an octave (& lowered some of part 2) rather than raising the bass. Why is this preferable?

I would be interested in seeing the music on the guitar staff pre-edit & post-edit.

David
"No amount of experimentation can ever prove me right; a single experiment can prove me wrong." - Albert Einstein

pogmoor

Postby pogmoor » Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:37 am

Here are all the stages in the process:
1) Original score opened and read in PhotoScore, then exported to Sibelius. In this case I have exported it with absolutely no editing. This illustrates what good results Photoscore and similar Optical Music Recognition applications can give with good quality pdfs of straightforward music:
Purcell-air-01.pdf

2) Guitar staff added and each line of music pasted in. You can see that, because the guitar transposes music by an octave, the bass part is in range, but the treble too high. Well, I suppose you could play it if you were prepared to go up to the 19th fret, but it's not a practicable arrangement.
Purcell-air-02.pdf

3) Treble part transposed down an octave. This illustrates the you then have to decide what to do about points where the parts overlap or coincide.
Purcell-air-03.pdf

4) Final arrangement reflecting the particular choices I have made in step 3. Here another arranger may have made different choices.
Purcell-air-04.pdf
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008) and Paul Fischer (1995)
Yamaha SLG 130NW silent classical guitar (2014)

David

Postby David » Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:54 am

Brilliant. Thank you.

I had a play when I got home last night. My process by necessity was slightly different to yours.

1. I opened the PDF in Acrobat & converted it to a TIFF.
2. This was then imported into Finale. (Finale can't import PDFs directly, or more accurately, I couldn't work out how to do it other than as a TIFF.)
3. I copied the bass part into layer 2, so I had the treble in layer 1 & bass in 2.
4, I created a guitar staff & copied the treble into it & lowered it by an octave.
5. Then copied the bass & following your advice lowered some of the notes in the bass. I did something slightly different to you with the very low Ds, e.g., at the end of the piece - I raised them an octave.

Here is the result.

Air D minor - Henry Purcell.pdf

Return to “Composers' Workshop”