ask for arrangement

Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, WMV, MOV, OGG, AVI, Authors' rights

Composers' Workshop
Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.

Once you have subscribed to the 002 group, you can attach the following types of files to your messages:
Audio : .mp3 .ogg .wav .flac
Video : .avi .flv .mov .wmv
Score : .pdf .jpg .gif .png
Finale: .mus
robk

ask for arrangement

Postby robk » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:54 pm

I have a harpsichord score of a beautiful piece, called 'Daphne', which is a 17th century composition of Dutch or English origin. Would someone be interested in arranging this piece for guitar at a D02/D03 level (and of course sending this to me)? If so, send me a message, and I will provide you with a pdf file of the harpsichord score.

igycrctl

Re: ask for arrangement

Postby igycrctl » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:16 pm

Do people do this for free? I thought this sort of thing was usually a paid service. Not that I'm capable of doing it anyway...

Christopher Freitag

Postby Christopher Freitag » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:38 pm

I just looked at this on IMSLP (the piece is from the Camphuysen Manuscript). I think it would be tougher than D02/D03 if it were done correctly. There is a fair amount of counterpoint and lots of ornamentation. But I am happy to have a crack at it.
Chris Freitag
cjfguitar

2013 German Vasquez Rubio Concert Special "Bernardi"; German spruce/Brazilian rosewood
2014 Garrett (Gary) Lee spruce/cedar double top; Brazilian rosewood

2handband

Postby 2handband » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:06 pm

I just looked at it. No way in heaven or hell is that going to be level 2 or 3 without seriously mangling it.

Christopher Freitag

Postby Christopher Freitag » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:33 pm

If you have a duet partner it would make a nice duo.
Chris Freitag
cjfguitar

2013 German Vasquez Rubio Concert Special "Bernardi"; German spruce/Brazilian rosewood
2014 Garrett (Gary) Lee spruce/cedar double top; Brazilian rosewood

robk

Postby robk » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:32 am

Christopher Freitag wrote:I just looked at this on IMSLP (the piece is from the Camphuysen Manuscript). I think it would be tougher than D02/D03 if it were done correctly. There is a fair amount of counterpoint and lots of ornamentation. But I am happy to have a crack at it.

Indeed, it is from the Camphuisen ms. (I have it here as a part of 'Monumenta Musica Neerlandica', which is a compilation of 17th century Dutch keyboard pieces).
Some people say that you will destroy the piece if it is arranged at a D02/D03 level. I disagree on this-in my opinion a relatively simple rhytmic 2voice texture without ornamentation could be very satisfying, just because the melody is so fluent and beautiful.
Another option is to arrange it for voice with accompanying guitar; the harmony is simple, and it might be rewarding for the instrumentalist to play the harmony plus a second voice.

I posted this request for arrangement because I thought people are always looking for new music and some might be interested in a pre-baroque piece that is not so well known.

mrvegas

Postby mrvegas » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:49 pm

This is pretty piece - just listened to the harpsichord version. Thanks for pointing this one out. I'll post a simple arrangement in the "our scores" section in a few days. I don't have any qualms about removing the hard parts. I'm going to do it in E-minor. Actually, A-minor, or dropped D would probably be better to get the inner voices, but I'm going to try to make it easy. (Otherwise I couldn't play it.)
Life is too short to be perfectly in tune.

mrvegas

Postby mrvegas » Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:26 pm

I just posted an arrangement of this piece in the "Our Scores" forum. Not sure if this was the difficulty level you were looking for or not. Anyway, if you want the music xml file to do any revisions, send me a PM and I can get it to you. You can do whatever you want with the arrangement.
Life is too short to be perfectly in tune.

Return to “Composers' Workshop”