Notation question on repeat bar lines in a Sor Duet

Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, WMV, MOV, OGG, AVI, Authors' rights

Composers' Workshop
Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.

Once you have subscribed to the 002 group, you can attach the following types of files to your messages:
Audio : .mp3 .ogg .wav .flac
Video : .avi .flv .mov .wmv
Score : .pdf .jpg .gif .png
Finale: .mus
Charlie Schultz
Amateur luthier

Notation question on repeat bar lines in a Sor Duet

Post by Charlie Schultz » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:45 pm

This is from Sor's Op 55. How do you interpret the repeat signs here? Part 1 shows railroad tracks (?) at the repeat, while part 2 has a 1st and 2nd ending for the same measures.

Is it implied that part 1 plays nothing (implied rest) or maybe repeats the previous measure for the 2nd ending or something else?
Guitar 1:
g1.png
Guitar 2:
g2.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

guitarrista

Re: Notation question on repeat bar lines in a Sor Duet

Post by guitarrista » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:51 pm

No, it just means that while Guitar 1 has normal repeats of the same 8 measures, Guitar 2 gets to have a different ending the second time (its 8th measure is different on the repeat, whereas Guitar 1's 8th measure is the same as before).

I am not sure what the "railroad tracks" are for, though - I tend to interpret them as extra markings to show where the repeats are (and beginning and end of sections). Also notice the same markings on Guitar 2's score, except they are single "tracks" - to me further evidence the double tracks on Guitar 1 indicate "both times you end up here (whereas Guitar 2 does two different endings of that section)".
Last edited by guitarrista on Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

BellyDoc

Post by BellyDoc » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:09 pm

Both scores total 34 measures as specified, so no implied rests should be needed. Interestingly, I think the railroad tracks are called a "caesura" a brief pause ("cease") not counted as a rest per se. The count stops. It's up to the artists here to define and synchronize it.
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." -Sir Isaac Newton

Armin Hanika 56PF

Mr Kite

Post by Mr Kite » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:07 pm

...but in that case wouldn't they be the same in both parts?

BellyDoc

Post by BellyDoc » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:20 pm

They are!

Both part 1 and part two play 8 measures and then have a caesura. They both repeat and play 8 measures, (but the 8th measure for guitar 2 has a second ending) and then they have a caesura TOGETHER. Guitar 2 has a second caesura notation because of the second ending, while guitar 1 has just arrived at the same one as before. I can see how this would be visually confusing! Following this, another 8 measures in both parts have an analagous repeat with guitar 2 having a second ending. Again, caesura follows 8 bars regardless of first or second ending.

The final two measures in what we're seeing here look to have the front end of a repeat. This appears not to be the end of the score.
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." -Sir Isaac Newton

Armin Hanika 56PF

Mr Kite

Post by Mr Kite » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:39 pm

Mmmm, what I meant was, the first score has double lines which always slope up and to the right, whereas the second score has single lines and the direction of the slope varies.

Also, why do we need one above the stave and one below?

You may be right, I really don't know, but it seems a bit weird.

BellyDoc

Post by BellyDoc » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:37 pm

Ah! I see what you're saying. I agree, the marks are different, and please know that I'm GUESSING that this notation represents caesura. It's similar to what I recall from many years ago, and appears to correspond to what I found when I looked it up. I can't explain the above/below appearance of the symbol - perhaps to stand out visually against the repeat?

Perhaps there is a notation difference because of the alternate endings. It's as if there are two sets of railroad track symbols facing opposite directions but they are split apart, intermixed, and distributed to the two different repeat symbols.

Yes... I agree... I'm totally reaching on this one... :)

I can't find any reference material to support my fanciful interpretation.

Armin Hanika 56PF

Return to “Composers' Workshop”