Robert Johnson CG arrangements

Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, WMV, MOV, OGG, AVI, Authors' rights

Composers' Workshop
Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.

Once you have subscribed to the 002 group, you can attach the following types of files to your messages:
Audio : .mp3 .ogg .wav .flac
Video : .avi .flv .mov .wmv
Score : .pdf .jpg .gif .png
Finale: .mus
Bobbio84

Robert Johnson CG arrangements

Post by Bobbio84 » Fri May 26, 2017 10:29 pm

I have recently re-discovered the blues. :casque: When I started playing as a kid my first music teacher was very fond of the blues. Many of my uncles were country/blues players and so the style has always been very natural to me. About a month ago I stumbled on a book of blues lead sheets and have been going crazy with arranging fingerstyle versions of a lot of stuff.

Specifically I love paying Robert Johnson tunes (not the Shakespeare lute player obviously). Usually I arrange the melody and then go back and forth from the arrangment to improvising over the bass line. This works out for me and I'm having lots of fun doing it. However, I can't seem to find anybody doing this kind of style on CG. It's always nice to see what others are doing when embarking on new territory. I would be very interested to see how someone else interprets Robert Johnson's style on a CG if anyone ever has. Does anyone know of any sheet music, players, recordings, secret seances with the devil etc... that could help me out?
:twisted:
Alhambra 3C (nylon)
Yamaha SLG200N (nylon-electric)
Washburn D42SCE (steel)
Fender Piha'eu (ukulele)

Luuttuaja

Re: Robert Johnson CG arrangements

Post by Luuttuaja » Sat May 27, 2017 8:47 pm

I immediately thought you were referring to the late renaissance lute guy, whose music probably would need some arranging (due to the number of courses he was using). But yeah, the blues legend Robert Johnson would deserve some CG arrangements, too. Perhaps other delta blues artists too?

bear

Post by bear » Sat May 27, 2017 9:05 pm

Bobbio84 wrote:
Fri May 26, 2017 10:29 pm
I have recently re-discovered the blues. :casque: When I started playing as a kid my first music teacher was very fond of the blues. Many of my uncles were country/blues players and so the style has always been very natural to me. About a month ago I stumbled on a book of blues lead sheets and have been going crazy with arranging fingerstyle versions of a lot of stuff.

Specifically I love paying Robert Johnson tunes (not the Shakespeare lute player obviously). Usually I arrange the melody and then go back and forth from the arrangment to improvising over the bass line. This works out for me and I'm having lots of fun doing it. However, I can't seem to find anybody doing this kind of style on CG. It's always nice to see what others are doing when embarking on new territory. I would be very interested to see how someone else interprets Robert Johnson's style on a CG if anyone ever has. Does anyone know of any sheet music, players, recordings, secret seances with the devil etc... that could help me out?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DF1JddMq0VM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=113C3EGslbQ
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Guistina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

Bobbio84

Post by Bobbio84 » Sun May 28, 2017 11:13 am

bear wrote:
Sat May 27, 2017 9:05 pm
Bobbio84 wrote:
Fri May 26, 2017 10:29 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DF1JddMq0VM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=113C3EGslbQ
My search words must have been wrong in YouTube because once I clicked on the second link I found a whole bunch of cg blues videos. I eecially like this one
https://youtu.be/aobW66xKuYc ...

I know it's kind of jazzy, but sometimes there's a fine line between blues and jazz as this player brilliantly demonstrates.

Thanks
Alhambra 3C (nylon)
Washburn D42SCE (steel)
Fender Piha'eu (ukulele)

mrvegas

Post by mrvegas » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:28 pm

Well, since you brought up seances with the devil, you just go down to the crossroads at midnight and wait for him to come tune your guitar. Then you won't need any arrangements. (In the long run, the price is substantially higher than buying the arrangements, though.)

Of course, which crossroads you have to go to is a matter of some debate: some say 49 and 61 in Clarksdale, Mississippi, and some say highways 1 and 8 in Rosedale, Mississippi.

I'm guessing you already know the various legends, but a quick search on the internet brings up different versions of them. Part of popular culture, now.
Life is too short to be perfectly in tune.

Bobbio84

Post by Bobbio84 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:21 am

mrvegas wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:28 pm
Well, since you brought up seances with the devil, you just go down to the crossroads at midnight and wait for him to come tune your guitar. Then you won't need any arrangements. (In the long run, the price is substantially higher than buying the arrangements, though.)

Of course, which crossroads you have to go to is a matter of some debate: some say 49 and 61 in Clarksdale, Mississippi, and some say highways 1 and 8 in Rosedale, Mississippi.

I'm guessing you already know the various legends, but a quick search on the internet brings up different versions of them. Part of popular culture, now.
Mississippi is kinda far from where I am... I don't know if I want to drive all the way down there just on a hunch... Hence why I just want the arrangements
Alhambra 3C (nylon)
Washburn D42SCE (steel)
Fender Piha'eu (ukulele)

oc chuck

Post by oc chuck » Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:26 am

Try playing the blues on a flamenco guitar.
Slightly different sound with more snap to it.
Really appeals to my ear.

mrvegas

Post by mrvegas » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:22 pm

Do you have the Stefan Grossman Delta Blues guitar book? That has some of the Robert Johnson stuff in it and very well done. RJ was pretty good -- the arrangements are not easy (for me at least).
Life is too short to be perfectly in tune.

countrybluespicker

Post by countrybluespicker » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:39 pm

I used the Tom Feldman dvd for learning Robert Johnson. Highly recommended.

Return to “Composers' Workshop”