Sheet music notation software

Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, WMV, MOV, OGG, AVI, Authors' rights

Composers' Workshop
Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.

Once you have subscribed to the 002 group, you can attach the following types of files to your messages:
Audio : .mp3 .ogg .wav .flac
Video : .avi .flv .mov .wmv
Score : .pdf .jpg .gif .png
Finale: .mus
flameproof

Re: Sheet music notation software

Postby flameproof » Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:20 pm

cpierce wrote:Here is an example of a score done with MuseScore. viewtopic.php?f=12&t=37094

A-ha! that's one of mine!

It's worth saying that the score you linked to could be better, but it was one of the first I did in MuseScore -- since then, not only have I become more adept with the tool and more aware of its subtleties, the program itself has been revised and improved.

I heartily recommend it.
In cyberspace, no-one can hear you scream...
∃x: x∈{things on the internet}: ~x

cpierce

Postby cpierce » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:52 am

Flameproof,
I meant to mention that it was yours! Sorry, I got in a hurry and posted before I had to leave.

Thanks again for pointing out MuseScore to me -- about a year ago-- I think. Great program, and the price can't be beat!!

cpierce

Postby cpierce » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:58 am

Paul,
I looked at Lilypond, and was very impressed with the quality of the print. The learning curve isn't too bad, but the one difference that I really like in MuseScore is its ability to play back the piece. I find that is very helpful to me in working out some difficult passages -- I have a lot to learn yet!! So it is a teaching/learning tool for me besides a music notation program.

Aaron

Postby Aaron » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:13 am

MuseScore can export to Lilypond... but actually I just tried that with the demo file and noticed some things. They appear to use the same font. They both look quite good. There were a few errors with stem direction and such in the Lilypond result. Anyway conclusion is: you can just use MuseScore, but if you really like some feature in Lilypond, they have this compatibility at least. For the demo example, MuseScore's own PDF output was the best.

Paul

Postby Paul » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:53 am

cpierce wrote:Paul,
I looked at Lilypond, and was very impressed with the quality of the print. The learning curve isn't too bad, but the one difference that I really like in MuseScore is its ability to play back the piece. I find that is very helpful to me in working out some difficult passages -- I have a lot to learn yet!! So it is a teaching/learning tool for me besides a music notation program.

I don't want to say that Lilypond isn't tricky, but it does produce a midi file which I would use to play the pieces back while following the score in the pdf file. Though there's nothing which follows a cursor, as Finale does. I don't know whether Musescore does the same as Finale or not.

Paul

Aaron

Postby Aaron » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:04 pm

Of course Musescore has a cursor that follows playback. It's free and does not install any weird junk on your system, so anyone wondering about it or comparing it to other programs should just download it and try it.

Paul

Postby Paul » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:46 pm

I tried Musescore a little over a year ago. I'll try it again sometime, when I've gotten over my recent infatuation with Lilypond.

Paul

Aaron

Postby Aaron » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:11 pm

Well, I have used MuseScore a little over the last year, especially as an option for students. But I just now got into trying it more and I have to say: the improvements and stability in the latest version is superb. I just read through the manual and tried a few new things. I'm really thrilled. It is simple and works. Just about everything I'd want in a program like Harmony Assistant or Finale/Sibelius/Notion etc. are related to MIDI editing and sound quality and interpretation for playback like playing ornaments and adjusting exact pitch and duration and such. As far as engraving, I can't think of much where MuseScore is lacking. It may even be superior in many ways. And it can play any soundfont... it really is worth trying!

Paul

Postby Paul » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:25 pm

It's good to read your recommendation. I'll definitely try it again. Can it do a grace note chord yet?
Mod Edit: direct download link to file removed - please upload image to post instead.
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=34446&p=386668#p386668

Actually, I haven't even tried this in Lilypond yet. (Makes a mental note.)

Paul

Aaron

Postby Aaron » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:10 pm

That is possible although it isn't perfectly straightforward. Any note can be set to be small, and anything can be set to invisible and beams are editable. Also, lines can be added and placed anywhere. Finally, any note can be moved left and right in edit mode by double-clicking and then using the arrow keys. So any arrangement of any note is possible. I would probably make this chord in an extra voice and hide the rests. Perhaps Musescore will eventually support this without a work-around, but it doesn't yet, although it is still possible visually.

On the other hand, I just realized a major bonus: Musescore allows full MIDI editing of each note via contextual menu! Duration by offset of start or end time, velocity, and PITCH (!) to 1/100 of a cent! Wow, and there's a plugin to use various temperaments automatically, including creating your own! I thought one had to get Harmony Assistant at a minimum to have such control other than using a sequencer instead of a notation program, and anyway Musescore even includes a piano-roll view that isn't yet functional but may be eventually.

Paul

Postby Paul » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:24 pm

Yes. It works as you described. I just placed the grace note chord in voice 3 and shifted everything around. The slurs are just dragged to the shape and position you want.
musedit.png

I also attempted the same thing in Lilypond. The grace note chord was a piece of cake, but it needed one heck of a workaround for the slurs up to the grace notes.
lilypond.png

Paul
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Aaron

Postby Aaron » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:20 pm

That looks good... I think it will be an easy thing to update for future version of Musescore to just allow it normally, so it is reasonable to expect it.

To be sure, MuseScore could also have been adjusted to match the exact engraving you got in Lilypond too, including the stem heights and such. It does seem that Lilypond's default engraving rules are a little superior though.

Aaron

Postby Aaron » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:48 am

Actually, I just found out that MuseScore is already able to do grace note chords! You can create it by selecting the note head of a single grace note. Next, build a chord by using SHIFT + [letter name of note] to add the new note(s).

khayes

Postby khayes » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:05 am

Has anyone used something called Personal Composer? A friend of mine sent me a pdf of an arrangement he did and it's very elegant. Fingerings for both hands were all indicated as well as string numbering within circles. The arrangement is quite complex and it appears that all the necessary things were handled very well.
Ken

Guitar Slim

Postby Guitar Slim » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:24 am

For quite a while I used Tabledit -- $50 for the full version, available online only. It's ostensibly a "tab" program, but it's better implemented for classical notation than a lot of the over-the-counter tab programs I've seen.

You can do your note entry from the staff system instead of the tab system, and completely supress the tab system if you so desire. Note entry is basically "free hand," so you can freely group and stem notes any way you like and notate three or more voices or "layers" on a single staff (most tab programs are limited to two layers only). It also has a fairly good selection of classical and classical-guitar specific symbols. It's clear the creators knew something about classical guitar and kept us in mind as they developed the software.

True, it doesn't have the myriad of styles, fonts and typesetting options that the pro notation programs have. It' looks a little clunky, but it's quite easy to read and, as I said, has a lot of features with the classical guitarist in mind.

It hasn't been updated for a while, but it's still supported and there is a very active community forum devoted to the program. Check it out -- for the price of a video game, it's definitely a good value. A free trial version is available.

I'm using Sibeleus these days, but here are a couple of old scores I uploaded here that were created with Tabledit.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=25189

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=25306

Return to “Composers' Workshop”